Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

3 hours ago, samsonh said:

I don’t doubt taxes are a reason people move, in fact I’m sure they are. But based upon those states listed I could also come to the conclusion that the largest states send us the most people. 

FL and TX have no income tax and we get lots of residents from there. Although Texas does have a very high property tax. FL has lower taxes than us. So my conclusion would be that people are moving for a combination of reasons.

Here's my spreadsheet.  We would need to add a column for number of households and average household income for each state to get a clearer picture of what percentage are moving to TN and how much wealthier they are versus their state average.  To see the tax effect, we would want to focus on the average household income moving to TN and the average household income in the state of origin for each state on the list.  If moving to TN is tax reduction strategy, we would expect to see relatively wealthier people moving here from high tax states versus other states.

Net-US-Migration-Data-2013-2014.xlsx

• Like 2

7 hours ago, titanhog said:

WKRN's "Progress vs. Preservation" series all day today.  Just saw their first one on the Cordell Hull bldg and the remodel.

https://www.wkrn.com/news/nashville-2018/progress-vspreservation-a-nashville-2018-special/1410283074

Bookmarked to watch when I get home. I'm going to go in with as close to no expectations as I can muster, but I can't help *to think this is going to be one of those "all change is bad" kind of pieces...

Edited by e-dub

57 minutes ago, Mr_Bond said:

If moving to TN is tax reduction strategy, we would expect to see relatively wealthier people moving here from high tax states versus other states.

Great spreadsheet showing the tax refugees flowing into TN,

Btw...what is up with MS? it is bleeding people to TN given their low population. It would be interesting to see the Metro areas people are settling into...obviously the Nashville Metro seems to be receiving the lion's share.

32 minutes ago, nashville_bound said:

Btw...what is up with MS? it is bleeding people to TN given their low population. It would be interesting to see the Metro areas people are settling into...obviously the Nashville Metro seems to be receiving the lion's share.

Mississippi is a state ranked consistently in the bottom for health, education, economic opportunity, and just overall scores low across the board. I'm here now with the Navy at Keesler AFB in Biloxi and this is one of the few areas of the state that is growing, thanks in part to tourism, the military/NASA, and the long recovery post-Katrina.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NashRugger said:

Mississippi is a state ranked consistently in the bottom for health, education, economic opportunity, and just overall scores low across the board. I'm here now with the Navy at Keesler AFB in Biloxi and this is one of the few areas of the state that is growing, thanks in part to tourism, the military/NASA, and the long recovery post-Katrina.

@NashRugger, my in-laws live in Long Beach, MS, so I've seen that growth since 2005.  I don't get to see much more of the state of Mississippi but their consistently low rank on national lists of well-being speak for themselves.   When I lived in Alabama, we were fond of saying "Thank the Lord for Mississippi."

BTW, if you meet anybody named Bond down there, I'm probably related to them.  Bond, MS, is tiny spot on the north side of Wiggins.  Two Bond brothers moved there in 1818.  My dad grew up in south Mississippi and moved to Mobile, AL, as a teenager.

2 hours ago, nashville_bound said:

My guess is that most of them are moving across the state line to Memphis.  Nashville would probably be the second destination.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, CenterHill said:

Sounds interesting and I will watch it when I get a chance.    Have to take issue with WKRN's choice of headline, though, as if "progress" and "preservation" are binary choices.      As if preservation = against progress.     We can have both, of course.       We can (and we should) persuade property owners to preserve buildings and places of historical significance, while allowing new development where it makes sense.     

I need to watch the episode, but Cordell Hull is a curious choice to lead with.       The restoration of Cordell Hull is amazing and I applaud the state for their about-face, but Cordell Hull was not really an example of preservation vs. progress.     More like preservation vs. destruction.        The state was just going to tear it down and not replace it with anything.   Parking maybe.         

Sorry to sidetrack, but thanks TH for posting the link!  

They've brought up some interesting sites so far...but I'm sure many will be left off.  I bet they'll say something about the Fairgrounds...which we all know the soon to be progress is going to be much better for the site.  They've talked about Ft. Negley...which I think many of us agree needs to be protected and properly used (as well as the Greer site).  Also briefly mentioned the Jacksonian, which is now a Walgreens.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, tragenvol said:

Travis Mathew, California based golf and lifestyle outfitter for men, is currently featuring Nashville in it's online advertising:

WOW.... I would not mind some billboards of this around town. Umm.. yeah! 

Maybe a local store? Yeah... definitely behind this. Just WOW.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

The University of Virginia vs. Ohio University football game will be at Vanderbilt Stadium this Saturday afternoon. Moved because of Hurricane Florence. 

From Nashville Post... https://www.nashvillepost.com/sports/vanderbilt-football/article/21021971/uvaohio-game-moves-to-nashville

Maybe the home team will get a W.  UV, VU.  Just make the 'anchor down' sign with your left hand instead of your right.

• Like 1

Pop superstar Shawn Mendes had a little accident in Nashville on a scooter (don't know if it was Bird or Lime) before taping his CMT Crossroads special.  I'm sure whichever scooter he used, that company will be sure to promote the fact that he was riding it! 

https://www.tennessean.com/story/entertainment/music/2018/09/11/shawn-mendes-falls-off-scooter-nashville/1273951002/

Take it from Shawn Mendes: if you’re riding through Nashville on one of those trendy motorized scooters, always keep your eyes on the road ahead.

The pop superstar learned that the hard way on Monday, when he fell off his scooter in Nashville and earned a few minor cuts on his hands and face. And yes, he’s been hearing more than his share of “Stitches” jokes.

• Like 1

Metro Council will begin debate on its fourth bill taking aim at Nashville's most popular form of developer incentive next week.

At-large Councilman Bob Mendes has filed an additional piece of legislation that would place new parameters around how city officials use tax increment financing, or TIF. The bill would require Metro hire an independent accountant to validate the financial assumptions built into any proposed new Metropolitan Development and Housing Agency redevelopment district.

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2018/09/13/council-member-rolls-out-fourth-bill-targeting.html

To read Mendes' full bill, go here:

https://www.nashville.gov/Metro-Clerk/Legislative/Ordinances/Details/d84934c2-1eb6-4d81-8fcc-d8a4951378de/2015-2019/BL2018-1328.aspx

• Like 2