• 16. Los Angeles-Long Beach-Anaheim, CA 2.8%
  • 17. Detroit-Warren-Dearborn, MI 2.7%
  • 18. Las Vegas-Henderson-Paradise, NV 2.7%
  • 19. Raleigh, NC 2.7%
  • 20. Cincinnati, OH-KY-IN 2.4%

source BEA and Atlanta Business Chronicle 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bnacincy said:

I wonder if there is any possibility of Montgomery County being added to the Nashville MSA?

I'm surprised the Clarksville MSA isn't already in the Nashville CSA.  The next time these things are updated will be in 2023, and I fully expect that to happen.  I also predict that the Cookeville micropolitan area will be upgraded to a metropolitan area.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

The 30 largest U.S. metro areas ranked by 2017 GDP growth are:

• 1. San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara, CA 7.6%
  • 2. Austin-Round Rock, TX 6.9%
  • 3. Seattle-Tacoma-Bellevue, WA 5.2%
  • 4. San Antonio-New Braunfels, TX 4.6%
  • 5. Nashville-Davidson--Murfreesboro--Franklin, TN 4.1%
  • 6. Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington, TX 3.9%
  • 7. Pittsburgh, PA 3.7%
  • 8. Denver-Aurora-Lakewood, CO 3.6%
  • 9. Charlotte-Concord-Gastonia, NC-SC 3.5%
  • 10. Phoenix-Mesa-Scottsdale, AZ 3.4%
  • 11. San Francisco-Oakland-Hayward, CA 3.4%
  • 12. Portland-Vancouver-Hillsboro, OR-WA 3.0%
  • 13. Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Roswell, GA 2.9%
  • 14. Cleveland-Elyria, OH 2.9%
  • 15. Boston-Cambridge-Newton, MA-NH 2.8%
  • 16. Los Angeles-Long Beach-Anaheim, CA 2.8%
  • 17. Detroit-Warren-Dearborn, MI 2.7%
  • 18. Las Vegas-Henderson-Paradise, NV 2.7%
  • 19. Raleigh, NC 2.7%

We did well, and seeing Detroit on the list makes me smile!

• Like 3

Taking Hickman County out of the MSA is going to hurt our chances of hitting 2 million for the MSA.  It May leave is a few thousand short. 

I would be interested in knowing the commuter numbers for Montgomery County. I suspect it will enter the Nashville CSA and I wouldn’t be surprised if it enters the MSA in another 10-15 years. There are increasingly high numbers of people commuting between Clarksville and Nashville due to affordability.  I still think we are years away, but it may very well be coming. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Hey_Hey said:

Taking Hickman County out of the MSA is going to hurt our chances of hitting 2 million for the MSA.  It May leave is a few thousand short. 

I would be interested in knowing the commuter numbers for Montgomery County. I suspect it will enter the Nashville CSA and I wouldn’t be surprised if it enters the MSA in another 10-15 years. There are increasingly high numbers of people commuting between Clarksville and Nashville due to affordability.  I still think we are years away, but it may very well be coming. 

My department in my office in Rutledge Hill has maybe 15 people, I think fully a third of them live in Clarksville. 

5 hours ago, KJHburg said:

The 30 largest U.S. metro areas ranked by 2017 GDP growth are:

• 1. San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara, CA 7.6%
  • 4. San Antonio-New Braunfels, TX 4.6%
  • 5. Nashville-Davidson--Murfreesboro--Franklin, TN 4.1%
  • 7. Pittsburgh, PA 
  • 19. Raleigh, NC 2.7%

Why are Nashville, Raleigh,  Cincy and others in the top 30 MSA's?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hey_Hey said:

I saw traffic counts a decade ago  that showed well over a thousand vehicles headed to Nashville in the morning rush hour and returning to Centerville in the evening at one specific intersection in Hickman County. It was unmistakably commuter traffic. And I'm sure there were other routes almost as busy.  That seems like a pretty strong commute to me.

• Like 1

At this end of the state, the comparison to Georgia is just as stark. But I think it has more to do with funding than the politics (as GA & KY are pretty similar to TN). I understand TN's dept of trans. is a "pay as you go" meaning they don't borrow for road projects. GA is always issuing bonds for one highway right after another. 

But I feel your pain. Frustrating as hell to have to drive up to Nashville these days. I-24 from Chattanooga to Murfreesboro has NOT changed a bit since before my first trip to Nashville in 1986! I'd guess it takes 2-3 times the amount of traffic too.  Yesterday, I was behind a rig going 35 up Monteagle while the driver attempted to do some idiotic leapfrog with another truck in the right lane. I recall the construction of the eastern side of the mountain when I was in college and remember there were months at a time when NOBODY was seen working on that project. It took 8 long years to finish. 

Here in 'nooga we get treated to tremendous stupidity by TDOT as the eastern part of Hamilton explodes in growth. Yes, we have the rework of US27, but that was terribly laid out by TDOT in the first place back in the 1950s. It's a prime example of neglecting the problem until it's too bad to ignore. Still, we have to listen to the very hayseed, hick-sounding spokeswoman (I think Flynn is her name) come up with excuse after excuse as to why long-overdue highway expansions are unfinished or have been completely ignored. Frustrating.  

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The segment between the KY State line and Goodlettsville will be expanded. I seem to recall that was part of the improve act. Now widening it to six or to eight lanes had yet to be decided.

Another stretch of I65 between Indianapolis and Louisville is another stretch that badly needs to be widened. That's in another state, but that stretch was scary for me last time I drove it.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, PHofKS said:

Why are Nashville, Raleigh,  Cincy and others in the top 30 MSA's?

2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Not sure Cincy is a top 30 metro area in population Nashville is #36 and Raleigh #43 unless they used some consolidated metro figures.  Houston did not grow its GDP  in that time period.

Chart came from Atlanta Business Chronicle https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/news/2018/09/18/report-metro-atlantas-gdp-growth-ranked-13th-among.html?ana=e_mc_prem&s=newsletter&ed=2018-09-19&u=oAaDx%2B74FoP4qOJ%2By4AU6dhJPpc&t=1537358133&j=83907671

Here are the US Census Bureau's pop. estimates as of July 1, 2017, for each cities Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA), Combined Statistical Area (CSA), and rankings of their MSAs and CSAs:

Charlotte MSA:       2,525, 305    MSA Rank: 22            Charlotte CSA:    2,684,121      CSA Rank:   20

Cincinnati MSA:      2,179,082     MSA Rank: 29            Cincinnati CSA:  2,238,265      CSA Rank:   28

Houston MSA:         6,892,427     MSA Rank:  5               Houston CSA:     7,093,190      CSA Rank:     9        

Nashville MSA:        1,903,045     MSA Rank: 36            Nashville CSA:    2,027,489      CSA Rank:   31

Pittsburgh MSA:     2,233,367    MSA Rank:  26            Pittsburgh CSA: 2,623,639     CSA Rank:   21  

Raleigh MSA:            1,335,079     MSA Rank: 43            Raleigh CSA:        2,199,459      CSA Rank:    29

San Antonio MSA:  2,473,974    MSA Rank:  24          N.B.:  San Antonio was not designated a CSA by the US Census Bureau until 09/14/2018 (See OMB Bulletin No. 18-04 below) 

San Jose MSA:         1,998,463     MSA Rank:  35           San Jose/San Francisco CSA:  8,837,789    CSA Rank:  5

MSAs - Charlotte (#22), Cincinnati (#29), Houston (#5), Pittsburgh (#26), and San Antonio (#24) are top 30 MSAs.   Nashville (#36), Raleigh (#43), and San Jose (#35) are not.

CSAs -  Charlotte (#20), Cincinnati (#28), Houston (#9), Pittsburgh (#21),  San Jose/San Francisco (#5), and Raleigh (#29) are top 30 CSAs.   Nashville (#31) is not.  San Antonio was not been designated a CSA by the Census Bureau until 09/14/2018 (See OMB Bulletin 18-04 below).

Links:  https://www.census.gov/data/tables/2017/demo/popest/total-metro-and-micro-statistical-areas.html - US Census Bureau Metropolitan and Micropolitan Statistical Areas Population Totals: 2010-2017, Cumulative Estimates of Resident Population Change and Rankings: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2017

https://www.whitehouse.gov/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/Bulletin-18-04.pdf  -  OMB Bulletin No. 18-04 dated September 14, 2018, Revised Delineations of Metropolitan Statistical Areas, Micropolitan Statistical Areas, and Combined Statistical Areas, and Guidance on Uses of the Delineations of These Areas.

Edited by QCxpat
Add OMB Bulletin No. 18-04 dated 09/14/2018
  • Like 4

The city has $1.7 billion in already-approved capital projects that haven't been financed. That doesn't include anticipated capital-spending plans, including one that Briley intends to put forward this fall.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2018/09/18/nashville-council-bonds-capital-projects/1347458002/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rockatansky said:

It seems unlikely. It is already its own separate MSA and MSA merging has been discouraged recently.

The Clarksville MSA is centered around Fort Campbell and includes two TN counties and two KY counties.  Clarksville just happens to be near Nashville on the southeastern corner of this MSA.  If Clarksville's connection to Nashville becomes stronger than its connection to Fort Campbell, Hopkinsville (KY) and surrounding areas, they could merge into our MSA.  But for now, not likely.

• Like 1