Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

11 hours ago, Binbin98 said:

I know this is really random but i dont know where else to ask this question. Is it possible to vote absentee in tennessee for this upcoming election (since i live in england) or is it too late now? This is a general question and not politically motivated, i am trying to vote as an american because i see too many people my age not care about voting which is sad regardless or what side your on. Again sorry if this is random

Fellow Gen Z absentee voter here! You're much farther from your home county than I am though, haha. 

Really glad you asked about this. Thanks for the information, @ruraljuror

On 10/22/2018 at 10:51 AM, nashville_bound said:

I found this past/present (Google present so minus the JW) pic on FB and thought it was cool.

nash then and now (google).JPG

Great find! I'm guessing the one on the left was taken during the 1970s. Right photo looks like last summer. Possible 1977 vs. 2017 comparison?

Edited by nativetenn
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Binbin98 said:

I know this is really random but i dont know where else to ask this question. Is it possible to vote absentee in tennessee for this upcoming election (since i live in england) or is it too late now? This is a general question and not politically motivated, i am trying to vote as an american because i see too many people my age not care about voting which is sad regardless or what side your on. Again sorry if this is random

So I believe it's too late to request the ballot. I got mine about a month ago and I put it in the mail today. Hopefully it'll make it on time...

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Mr_Bond said:
22 hours ago, markhollin said:

Thanks much, Mark, for all you do for our city and our UP community!

You're welcome, Mr. Bond.  I appreciate the kind words.  Let's all keep doing what we can in  creating good understanding and hope for the best development for the citizenry of an ever-growing Nashville.   : )

• Thanks 1

On ‎10‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 6:44 PM, KJHburg said:

Nashville has the highest percentage of office space under construction relative to total market size.  4.5% of the total market office space inventory is under construction and that leads the nation in % of office space relative to market size.

http://www.costar.com/News/Article/Nashville-Ranks-Among-US-Markets-With-Most-Office-Space-Under-Construction-as-a-Percentage-of-Their-Size/205392

Top cities in order are Nashville, Orange County (view as one market) San Fran, Austin, San Jose, Seattle, Charlotte, NYC   all these markets are larger office markets than Nashville but for the Music City is the fastest growing relative to its size. 

Austin has 3.8 million sf under construction, at 4.1% that gives them 92.7 million sf existing. I don't get why business writers like whoever wrote the above can't give you all the relevant figures, e.g. doesn't bother to give the sf under construction or the total. Anyone know, and what is the Nashville Metro  existing total?   https://www.statesman.com/BUSINESS/20180723/Surging-Austin-office-market-hits-record-high-for-rents

Edited by dragonfly
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, KJHburg said:

According to the Nashville market report Q3 of Colliers Nashville metro has 2.7 million sq ft of office space under construction.  Remember the original report was based on percentage of office space under construction given the market size.     Nashville is a smaller office market than either Austin or Charlotte for that matter but it is growing fast. 

Here is the link to the report   https://www2.colliers.com/en/research/nashville/Office-Market-Report-Q3-2018

OK folks, surprise, Nashville has 54 million sf, Austin has 52 million, looking at those Colliers office reports, which admittedly I 'm looking at the Q2 report for Austin comparing to Q3 for Nashville. When you factor in the difference in sizes of state governments that's saying a lot. The financial sector of Nashville has always been a bigger piece of the Nashville economy than the same in Austin, by a significant amount. I moved from Nashville to Austin in '75, Nashville was by maybe 50% the larger metro at the time or even more.  Austin at the time had two 24 story office buildings, the only two at 17+. Nashville had three office towers at 28+ and  six at 17+

Edited by dragonfly
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Clarification on highrises in Austin in 1975, the two 17+ office towers were 21 and 25 stories. Austin had two 17+ residential highrises at that time, a 29 story privately owned dormitory (Dobie) and another 21 story residential tower.  I was a student at UT and had never known of a dormitory as bodacious as Dobie Center which at the time had a movie theater, a record store and other retail and food concerns at the time. I'm pretty sure I saw the Monterey Pop film there in the late '80's way after my graduate student days.

Also if you include the Sheraton in that Nashville portfolio in 1975 you can say Nashville had 1 residential tower at 17+ (27 stories).

Austin midtown is so dominated by the gigantic university that it is quite unlike Nashville midtown and will not likely develop residential or office options for generalized  real life humans. This is why when you see photos of the Austin skyline, you see a compact collection of gigantic residential towers downtown, housing all of the West Coastoids having escaped fiscal situations out there. And probably voting unlike longer term Texans wanting to keep those fiscal policies outta here.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

They need to do it like Oregon and a couple of other states and that is mandatory Vote By Mail. Everyone is sent a ballet and there are drop off locations and you are able to send it in by mail. No polling places, no voting machines, no hacking.

But couldn't someone fill out your ballot for you and send it in?  That seems like voter fraud waiting to happen.

• Like 3

I'm also a Gen Z person not currently living in Nashville, and I think that the voting process is way too difficult as it is. I looked into an absentee ballot, but there were so many unknowns with timing and the mail service that it was easier to just make the 3 hour drive and do it in person. I had multiple friends' whose absentee requests were rejected for reasons that they didn't even understand. 

I can't speak specifically to Oregon's system, but I know that voter fraud as a whole is much more of a boogeyman than a real issue swaying our elections. Still, it's something to consider in a potential new system. 

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, samsonh said:

Oregon has had about a dozen cases of voter fraud out of 100 million ballots. The punishment is so steep that changing someone’s vote is simply not worth it. Voting by mail is cheaper and could enhance voter participation, both good things.

https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/ef45f5_81a3affd554e4b5b9b5852f8fb3c10fd.pdf

stats in voting by mail in link above.

I don’t think the issue would be changing someone’s votes, it’s just easy to imagine situations where a mail in ballot could be filled out by someone who is not the person it was sent to. Examples:

1. One of the few political 18 year olds gathers up all his apathetic friends’ ballots and casts all their votes. At 18 I couldn’t have cared less about voting (my mother registered me to vote, which I was indifferent about) and I totally would have either given a ballot away because I thought it was funny or sold it. 

2. People casting their elderly relatives ballots without their knowledge. 

3. People registering their siblings or other close relations who have severe mental disabilities to vote and then casting their ballots. 

This is just a couple of examples off the top of my head. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, samsonh said:

Oregon has had about a dozen cases of voter fraud out of 100 million ballots. The punishment is so steep that changing someone’s vote is simply not worth it. Voting by mail is cheaper and could enhance voter participation, both good things.

https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/ef45f5_81a3affd554e4b5b9b5852f8fb3c10fd.pdf

stats in voting by mail in link above.

I'm all for anything that makes it easier...as long as there's little chance of fraud.  Getting more people to vote (no matter what side) is good for the nation.  

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Pdt2f said:

I don’t think the issue would be changing someone’s votes, it’s just easy to imagine situations where a mail in ballot could be filled out by someone who is not the person it was sent to. Examples:

1. One of the few political 18 year olds gathers up all his apathetic friends’ ballots and casts all their votes. At 18 I couldn’t have cared less about voting (my mother registered me to vote, which I was indifferent about) and I totally would have either given a ballot away because I thought it was funny or sold it. 

3. People registering their siblings or other close relations who have severe mental disabilities to vote and then casting their ballots. 

But this isn’t happening in states where mail in ballots are common/the only option. People with mental disabilities vote all the time, and I am pretty sure they are voting how their care taker tells them to. Again, the penalties for committing voter fraud far outweigh any potential gain a vote or two could give.

if we are to start seeing widespread voter fraud in this country it would be a problem. But every election cycle there are only a few. Voter fraud is the last of our problems.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Pdt2f said:

1.  You may have given a ballot away when you were 18, but I doubt you would have given your social security number and voter registration info with it.  And if you can talk a bunch of people into handing their ballots over to you, you can probably just as easily convince them to go ahead and vote for your preferred candidate anyway, cutting you out of the process as a middleman and sparing you the fraud.  

2/3.  If a person with dementia or mental disabilities requires  a legal caretaker, they usually have their voting rights stripped and no registration or ballot could be requested,  so most of the time this isn't really an issue. 

That said, there is some gray area here, and I'm sure you're right that every year at least a handful of ballots get cast that we would all find at least questionably illegitimate, but I think you're underestimating the protections in place to prevent it and overestimating the prevalence.  

Edited by ruraljuror
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, Pdt2f said:

3 hours ago, ruraljuror said:

1.  You may have given a ballot away when you were 18, but I doubt you would have given your social security number and voter registration info with it.  And if you can talk a bunch of people into handing their ballots over to you, you can probably just as easily convince them to go ahead and vote for your preferred candidate anyway, cutting you out of the process as a middleman and sparing you the fraud.

If the person is of sound mind and knowingly gives their ballot away I'm not convinced this is a problem. It's functionally what you're doing when you elect representatives: you designate another person to make decisions regarding the government on your behalf.

On the other hand you can see where electing representatives gets us.

4-compressor.gif

20 hours ago, henburg said:

I'm also a Gen Z person not currently living in Nashville, and I think that the voting process is way too difficult as it is. I looked into an absentee ballot, but there were so many unknowns with timing and the mail service that it was easier to just make the 3 hour drive and do it in person. I had multiple friends' whose absentee requests were rejected for reasons that they didn't even understand. 

I can't speak specifically to Oregon's system, but I know that voter fraud as a whole is much more of a boogeyman than a real issue swaying our elections. Still, it's something to consider in a potential new system. 

I could not have said it better myself, Henburg. I'm 21 and had similar issues with requesting an absentee ballot, but thankfully I was able to successfully get it in early. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Pdt2f said:

Fair example, but that only seems to apply to your 18 year old self's mindset. I really can't think of anybody my age who I know personally who would do something that stupid.

Personally...even though I don't care for standing in line, I like to know they've checked me off and I've actually stood at the machine and pushed all the buttons and know when I leave there, there's a good chance my vote will be counted.  I'm a little leery of mailing in a ballot and knowing for sure it got there, was properly processed and is counted.  I do, however, like the ease.

I'm hopeful there will come a day where there is some type of technological advance that allows each of us to easily vote from home, knowing without a doubt that we're counted and secure.  (yes...may be too much to ask...but would surely increase the number of Americans who would vote).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nativetenn said:

Fair example, but that only seems to apply to your 18 year old self's mindset. I really can't think of anybody my age who I know personally who would do something that stupid.

Of course, but that’s my point, that it makes it a lot easier for those who don’t care about ethical integrity and those who just don’t care about politics to engage in “fraudish” activities. Just because you have integrity about politics doesn’t mean others do. 

• Like 2