Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

On 12/10/2018 at 6:39 PM, titanhog said:

I hate it when people say "I have some news...but I can't tell you what it is"...but that's what I'm going to do. :D

Talked to a developer's spouse and was filled in on two really awesome projects that are in the works...both towers (not sure of the height yet)...and both will be applauded if they come to fruition.  

I know that's a horrible tease....but I promise to say more when I'm allowed. 

Btw...one will be quite shocking (not height...but where it will be located)...and the other has a potential tenant that is a very "hip" name right now...and is a brand that will put another notch in our belt.

Looks like you have TWO LARGE CARROTS!!!

The Nashville public schools board wants to sell four properties to make up a portion of its $13 million budget hole, a unanimous decision that came after a heated discussion over a fifth property some members wanted to sell.

Metro Nashville Public Schools, under the city's 2018-19 budget, was expected to sell some of its property to find money to operate or risk slashing operating expenses.

The Nashville Metro Council will need to approve the sale of the properties. The properties are:

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, nativetenn said:

Did anyone feel the earthquake in Nashville this morning? It hit East Tennessee as a 4.4. I was burning the late night oil studying for an exam I had today and it scared the crap out of me at 4am. Took me a second to realize what had just happened.

I remember a small quake in Alabama in the early '00s I think.  It rattled a few windows in my home in Williamson county. 

Here's the USGS website for the earthquake.  If you felt it, please click on "Did you feel it?" on the left side.

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/se60247876/executive

Woke me up. I knew what it was b/c it shook the bed an my wife was still sound asleep. I glanced at the clock because I expected someone to talk about the quake and I wanted to verify. Yep, on the radio driving in this morning, they said two quakes, the first in NW Meigs (4.4 mag) at 4:15. There was a second smaller one a little later. Didn't hear the epicenter for that one. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

Woke me up. I knew what it was b/c it shook the bed an my wife was still sound asleep. I glanced at the clock because I expected someone to talk about the quake and I wanted to verify. Yep, on the radio driving in this morning, they said two quakes, the first in NW Meigs (4.4 mag) at 4:15. There was a second smaller one a little later. Didn't hear the epicenter for that one. 

USGS.gov has a webpage for every earthquake.  You can waste a LOT of time here.

BTW, if you enjoy canoeing or kayaking on rivers, you can visit their 'Water' pages to check flow levels on rivers around the country.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

Not bad. Then I just heard that Apple is spend $1 billion in Austin and bringing in 1000 jobs. I was hoping for more of THAT kind of presence, but that's just me being greedy.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, satalac said:

Not bad. Then I just heard that Apple is spend $1 billion in Austin and bringing in 1000 jobs. I was hoping for more of THAT kind of presence, but that's just me being greedy.

Apple is adding 5000 jobs in Austin

https://www.npr.org/2018/12/13/676366640/apple-will-build-1-billion-campus-in-austin-adding-5-000-jobs

1 hour ago, satalac said:

Sorry, yeah, it's 5,000. I wonder if Nashville even could handle that plus Amazon.

Some moves in today's competitive landscape - Apple makes a small counterattack by staking a claim in Music City ahead of Amazon Prime Music (you can have logistics, we'll take the music), and tells Amazon that Austin is an Apple city by matching Amazon's 5,000 jobs-in-Nashville number there.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Mr_Bond said:

Some moves in today's competitive landscape - Apple makes a small counterattack by staking a claim in Music City ahead of Amazon Prime Music (you can have logistics, we'll take the music), and tells Amazon that Austin is an Apple city by matching Amazon's 5,000 jobs-in-Nashville number there.

So where does Google fit into all of this?  Because if Amazon and Apple are involved...Google has to be sniffing around, right?

4 minutes ago, titanhog said:

So where does Google fit into all of this?  Because if Amazon and Apple are involved...Google has to be sniffing around, right?

They are already in Nashville but under the names of their subsidiaries.  Seems like someone on UP recently gave us a list which included some logistics-related companies.