Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

42 minutes ago, Mr_Bond said:

Some moves in today's competitive landscape - Apple makes a small counterattack by staking a claim in Music City ahead of Amazon Prime Music (you can have logistics, we'll take the music), and tells Amazon that Austin is an Apple city by matching Amazon's 5,000 jobs-in-Nashville number there.

This is not how companies operate. 

Guys the fact that we got anything from Apple during this expansion, even if its small, is better than nothing. I have relatives in North Carolina who really were banking on the Research Triangle area to get either the Amazon east coast Hub, or the Apple second campus, and now they have gotten none of those things which went to nashville and austin respectively. The fact that North carolina got less jobs than even Nashville in this expansion (none) by Apple really is a slap in the face to them.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Binbin98 said:

Guys the fact that we got anything from Apple during this expansion, even if its small, is better than nothing. I have relatives in North Carolina who really were banking on the Research Triangle area to get either the Amazon east coast Hub, or the Apple second campus, and now they have gotten none of those things which went to nashville and austin respectively. The fact that North carolina got less jobs than even Nashville in this expansion (none) by Apple really is a slap in the face to them.

I don’t think it’s complicated. Charlotte and Raleigh just aren’t hipster-hip like Nashville. Fortune 100 company Honeywell relocated here last week, more our niche. And while much of the nation is expected to slow, next year, NC is projected to add 120,000 jobs in 2019.

• Like 1

Did anyone feel the earthquake in Nashville this morning? It hit East Tennessee as a 4.4. I was burning the late night oil studying for an exam I had today and it scared the crap out of me at 4am. Took me a second to realize what had just happened.

Yes! I live in a northwestern Atlanta suburb (Hiram) and I happened to be up when it occurred. It was really odd how pronounced it was all over Metro Atlanta on northward. It started like a high frequency-vibrational rumble then went to an eerie “ship-tossed-at-sea” effect that made us have vertigo. The house creaked and groaned, and a knight’s armor statue, pictures, and a large plant got knocked over. (In Georgia!)
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, samsonh said:

This is not how companies operate. 

Apparently, my attempt at humor was too allusive.  Yes, some managers think this way and use number crunchers to back up their decisions.  It depends on the corporate and management culture.

3 hours ago, Binbin98 said:

Oh I'm not really complaining, just pointing out how Nashville has gone up in status where landing 30 jobs from a major corporation is now more of a blip on the radar. 

8 minutes ago, dmillsphoto said:

I really wish we had a corporate-owned/managed Hilton in Nashville. We'd have more a statement piece of architecture if we did. The newer build Hilton Hotels are really quite eye-catching.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, dmillsphoto said:

True, they will add a floor and we will take ten away because Planning says it too tall for the area. Buffoons! Or the neighbors complain that their view of the sewage treatment plant will be blocked.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 12/13/2018 at 6:05 AM, nashville_bound said:

^ the weirdest factoid in the story is Alliance Bernstein providing financing for a 30-person buildout..... 

I think it means AB has been providing financing for the entire build out of the May Hosiery complex, not just the apple part, just written oddly. 

• Like 1

The state Dept. of Economic and Community Development has agreed to award Ernst & Young $6 million for the 600 jobs they will bring to Nashville at the Spectrum Emery building in Midtown.

They will also grant $1.75 million to Caymas Boats for the 280 jobs they are bringing to a new Ashladd City facility.

More behind the NBJ paywall here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2018/12/14/state-tees-up-8m-for-jobs-from-accounting-giant.html

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 12/14/2018 at 10:10 AM, dmillsphoto said:

Would be the first highrise downtown in a decade. Others are planned, but not certain.

As an aside: Columbus is more populous than is Nashville, is growing faster, has zero rail transit, none in sight ... and has the shortest commute time among major cities. 

Edited by Dale

42 minutes ago, Dale said:

Would be the first highrise downtown in a decade. Others are planned, but not certain.

As an aside: Columbus is more populous than is Nashville, is growing faster, has zero rail transit, none in sight ... and has the shortest commute time among major cities. 

It's also like Indianapolis, they have zero geographic barriers to stop the endless sprawl that is within the city limits of both cities as opposed to Nashville where density is really the only viable option for substantial growth, southeast Nashville (Antioch/Cane Ridge) not withstanding.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NashRugger said:

It's also like Indianapolis, they have zero geographic barriers to stop the endless sprawl that is within the city limits of both cities as opposed to Nashville where density is really the only viable option for substantial growth, southeast Nashville (Antioch/Cane Ridge) not withstanding.

That would seem to indicate that Nashville would have an easier time improving transit by improving what it already has in place. If people are already closer to primary work nodes, shouldn’t take untold billions to get them there faster.

Of course my larger point is that Columbus stands as definitive proof that you can smartly facilitate transit flow through buses alone.

11 minutes ago, NashRugger said:

Is that due to the hills? As I know going towards Clarksville there's plenty of hills.

44 minutes ago, OnePointEast said:

Is that due to the hills? As I know going towards Clarksville there's plenty of hills.

Yes, because practically the entire northwestern 1/3 of Davidson County is rugged terrain as you come out of the Nashville/Central Basin and ascend to the Highland Rim, with Joelton and immediate Cumberland floodplain being the exceptions. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, markhollin said:

Nashville metro is actually growing faster than Columbus metro (+13.9% since 2010, compared to +9.29%).  Nashville area has grown 233,000 in that time span, compared to Columbus' 177,000.  Their MSA is 177,000 larger than Nashville's, but we will most likely surpass them in a couple of decades. Average Columbus commute time is 21.5 minutes.  Nashville's is 24.3 minutes...not really sure that 2.8 minutes is all that significant.  

On the other hand, Columbus itself grew 11.7% between 2010-2017 compared to Nashville’s 10.3%

Are you saying that Nashvillians wouldn’t be turning cartwheels to drop average commute three minutes ?

1 minute ago, Dale said:

On the other hand, Columbus itself grew 11.7% between 2010-2017 compared to Nashville’s 10.3%

Are you saying that Nashvillians wouldn’t be turning cartwheels to drop average commute three minutes ?

Part of that growth within city limits is that Columbus can keep expanding their metro borders, whereas Nashville is locked-in.

And, no, I don't think most people have a stopwatch in their cars and, hence, would think that a few minutes in their daily commute would be that noticeable.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, markhollin said:

Part of that growth within city limits is that Columbus can keep expanding their metro borders, whereas Nashville is locked-in.

And, no, I don't think most people have a stopwatch in their cars and, hence, would think that a few minutes in their daily commute would be that noticeable.  

I do not get the geography argument. If Nashvillians are closer to work, why the longer commute time. Conversely, if Columbusites are farther from work, why the shorter commute time ?

4 minutes ago, Dale said:

I do not get the geography argument. If Nashvillians are closer to work, why the longer commute time. Conversely, if Columbusites are farther from work, why the shorter commute time ?

Nashville is a 497 sq. miles due to its consolidation with Davidson County into one Metro Government.  Columbus is 217 sq. miles, inside of Franklin County's 544 sq. miles...but Columbus has expanded greatly in its square mileage over the decades, encompassing most of the urban sprawl as opposed to the surrounding suburbs (which have also grown, but not at the pace as Columbus proper). 

Another reason for Columbus having a slightly shorter commute time is they have about 4 times  as much freeway mileage in Franklin County as Davidson County. There are 7 spokes feeding into their downtown, compared to Nashville's 4.  Also, their I-270 outer belt completely encircles the city within Franklin County.  Whereas Nashville 's half-complete I-840 doesn't even touch Davidson County.

But, trust me, there are plenty of people in Columbus that gripe loud and long about their traffic issues as well.  I-270 on the north side gets really bogged down during rush hours, as do segments of I-71 and the Olentangy Expressway on the north side, and I-70 on the east side.   And their inner belt around downtown gets just as jammed as Nashville's.  

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, markhollin said:

Nashville is a 497 sq. miles due to its consolidation with Davidson County into one Metro Government.  Columbus is 217 sq. miles, inside of Franklin County's 544 sq. miles...but Columbus has expanded greatly in its square mileage over the decades, encompassing most of the urban sprawl as opposed to the surrounding suburbs (which have also grown, but not at the pace as Columbus proper). 

Another reason for Columbus having a slightly shorter commute time is they have about 4 times  as much freeway mileage in Franklin County as Davidson County. There are 7 spokes feeding into their downtown, compared to Nashville's 4.  Also, their I-270 outer belt completely encircles the city within Franklin County.  Whereas Nashville 's half-complete I-840 doesn't even touch Davidson County.

But, trust me, there are plenty of people in Columbus that gripe loud and long about their traffic issues as well.  I-270 on the north side gets really bogged down during rush hours, as do segments of I-71 and the Olentangy Expressway on the north side, and I-70 on the east side.   And their inner belt around downtown gets just as jammed as Nashville's.  

Des Moines average commute time is 18.3 minutes and I’ll bet they gripe about traffic. Nashville seems to agree with me that you don’t need to spend $9 billion on transit improvements when $9 million will do just fine.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Dale said:

Des Moines average commute time is 18.3 minutes and I’ll bet they gripe about traffic. Nashville seems to agree with me that you don’t need to spend $9 billion on transit improvements when $9 million will do just fine.

Dale,

people will always complain about their commute. He gave you reasons why the numbers are what they are, I’d stop arguing!

• Like 2