Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

How many think the perceived arbitrary height restrictions throughout the downtown core are ridiculous?  Some of it just doesn't make sense to me.  So...you have Endeavor at the 27 story height restriction...and then the one22one building across the street is probably going to go up to 27 stories...but since it's an office tower, it will be maybe 100' taller than Endeavor.

What does that "story" restriction really do for anyone?  It just seems like some king sitting on a throne throwing out numbers to show everyone he's in charge.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, TheRaglander said:

I feel like he is a bit more moderate and wouldn't go for something like this.  His roots are in business so I would hope he sees the business aspect in this.  

He himself has stated his roots are in his faith. Just how much that conflicts with his business-centric approach otherwise remains to be seen. This is that litmus test.

45 minutes ago, BnaBreaker said:

I'm happy to apologize for that if such a mundane, toothless term truly does offend you or someone else. 

No offense taken and I honor your right to voice your opinion.  I just think the discussion has descended into name calling and belongs in the Coffee House.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Mr_Bond said:

No offense taken and I honor your right to voice your opinion.  I just think the discussion has descended into name calling and belongs in the Coffee House.

I understand your frustration, and to a degree, I share it. The name-calling irks me as well, and I have also seen plenty of nasty comments on this board directed toward anyone in Tennessee who doesn't live in Davidson County. However, I also understand how @BnaBreaker is fed up with the rural vs. urban and old vs. new issues that have divided Nashville's politics in recent years. He rather unfairly generalized those constituents as bumpkins, but he is not wrong about the stubbornness or backwardness of that particular demographic. A lot of those people are resistant to any sort of change, and it gets tiring having to deal with their knee-jerk reaction to anything new in Nashville. While every opinion should be treated fairly, their staunch opposition to Nashville's growth almost always lacks a coherent argument; instead, they jabber about something new they don't like with little or no evidence to show that it would be bad for the city. As a non-Nashville resident, I do my best to understand that they are afraid of getting priced out (which is perfectly rational), but at some point you just have to shake your heads at these people. Being from a rural town myself, their opposition to a lot of awesome things for Nashville are rooted in either ignorance or envy of those doing better than they are. I know I will get some crap from the previous sentence, so I'd like to make it clear I am not ragging on lower-income residents, but I maintain this mentality is very prevalent in rural towns or less well-off areas.

Concerning name-calling, I think BnaBreaker's comment was innocuous. I have seen much, much worse on the Transit thread as well as some others, and it's almost always from one specific poster. That poster intentionally utilizes crass insults and foul language to try to piss people off (pretty much the definition of trolling), and his content hardly ever gets moderated. Case in point, I wouldn't waste your breath about some aggressive comments you'll see on here- just ignore them and move on. Like any website, we have our trolls. Get rid of one and another spawns somewhere, like mold spores in a shower. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@BnaBreaker, thanks much for sharing your perspective.  I can understand why you feel so strongly about this and I'm sorry for your loss.  You have encouraged me to live more like Jesus because you've shown me the pain that comes from doing otherwise.  Again, thank you.

@satalac, the building needs a nickname.  Quartz Tower?

Edited by Mr_Bond
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1