Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

A little off topic, but I think it is relevant when we talk about the city’s budget. Can someone explain to me how this property’s tax liability was calculated:

Address: 333 Charlotte Avenue 

Owner: National Baptist Conv. USA (Morris building in downtown that metro is trying to purchase for $12 million)

What it should look like based on everything I am seeing:

2017 Appraised Value: $5,468,200

Assessment Ratio: 40% (this does not appear to be an exempt property) 

Assessed Taxable: $2,187,280

2018 Tax Rate: $3.155

Tax Levy: $69,008

What metro tax records show: 

Actual Assessment Ratio: 5.9997% (although the tax calculation states 40%)

Assessed Value: $328,076

Tax Levy: $10,350

What am I missing or overlooking? That’s a difference of $58,658.

10 minutes ago, WebberThomas4 said:

A little off topic, but I think it is relevant when we talk about the city’s budget. Can someone explain to me how this property’s tax liability was calculated:

Address: 333 Charlotte Avenue 

Owner: National Baptist Conv. USA (Morris building in downtown that metro is trying to purchase for $12 million)

What it should look like based on everything I am seeing:

Assessment Ratio: 40% (this does not appear to be an exempt property) 

Assessed Taxable: $2,187,280

Tax Levy: $69,008

What metro tax records show: 

Actual Assessment Ratio: 5.9997% (although the tax calculation states 40%)

Assessed Value: $328,076

Tax Levy: $10,350

What am I missing or overlooking? That’s a difference of $58,658.

could this be an adjusted rate due to an appeal?

Yea, it makes no sense as they are paying more for property and getting less for property they are auctioning off. Sometimes you have to wonder who is really running the show in Metro. Some of this looks as if Metro under the last two mayors is really mismanaging the taxpayer money. It is exempt per parcel viewer.

Class COMMERCIAL
Effective Date 1/1/2013
Land Appraised Value $ 228,690.00
Improvement Appraised Value $ 149,335.00
Total Appraised Value $ 378,025.00
Status Historical
Class EXEMPT
Effective Date 1/1/2013
Land Appraised Value $ 1,295,910.00
Improvement Appraised Value $ 846,265.00
Total Appraised Value $ 2,142,175.00

The problem with the auctioning of Metro land is that is has to go through the e-bid process. This is what Bret explained Saturday. That is why there was only one bidder on the Charlotte Ave property and why it was so low. Again who is really running the show in Metro.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mr_Bond said:

@BnaBreaker, thanks much for sharing your perspective.  I can understand why you feel so strongly about this and I'm sorry for your loss.  You have encouraged me to live more like Jesus because you've shown me the pain that comes from doing otherwise.  Again, thank you.

@satalac, the building needs a nickname.  Quartz Tower?

And I thank you sincerely for your compassion and understanding.  I hope you know that none of that was directed at you.  We could all learn a thing or two from you, myself included... myself especially.  You're a good man, and again, I'm sorry for any offense caused.

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Thanks 1

NASCAR is moving it’s Monster Energy Cup Awards to Nashville this year, and for at least 2 additional years. 

News Channel 5:

https://www.newschannel5.com/news/nascar-moving-cup-series-awards-to-nashville

NASCAR.com:

https://www.nascar.com/news-media/2019/03/06/2019-monster-energy-series-awards-nashville/

• Like 4

My sympathy's as well. The church as a whole is a very good thing, but the Church as an establishment in this country has hurt so many people and I am so thankful to be around a group of people that is realizing that the Church as a whole has to change. Many of the things that churches teach and believe are simply not biblical in standing and are done out of tradition or selective interpretation for their own gain.  That is why church attendance is now only 50 % for most people attending an a regular basis. Sorry to get a little religion in here but since the issue is here, lets all be good boys and girls and talk with out heads and not our hearts. I do think that most people here are very reasonable on this board and please think before you post and put yourself on the receiving end of your own words. Sometimes I come across as harsh too and for that please forgive me.

You have the 50 % that is going regular trying to legislate the 50 %  that is not or the 50 % that are more liberal in their belief system. If you look at the political system that is also about the same split. This country is headed for a train wreck on several tracks and it will probably not be that long.

I think we can as a group be reasonable in bridging this subject and fell free to now take it to the coffee house for further discussion. Please , PLEASE DO not get out of control .

• Thanks 2

15 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

This is the Bits n Pieces thread.  What is the "topic" here if not the topic currently being discussed?

Admittedly, the "bumpkin" moniker was added by me purely out of frustration, and I'm happy to apologize for that if such a mundane, toothless term truly does offend you or someone else.  On the other hand though, I feel we should be clear here.  If one harbors a desire to move backward to a time already past just because they want the ability to persecute a certain group of people?   Well friend, that is pretty much the textbook definition of "backward."  I mean, sorry, I know we're supposed to be polite about everything here, but let's not sugar coat it.  That's just what it is.  And although I am more than happy to agree to disagree with folks on a whole host of issues big and small,  I refuse to "respect" this.  I mean to disrespect to you or anyone else personally, but I do refuse to "respect" outright persecution just because certain others "believe" they should be able to persecute.  I have seen first hand the severe damage these "beliefs" have had on some of my friends and my family members who were just trying to live good, honest lives, and it is a tragedy, and  an outrage, and a shame.

OK so how about this for moving forward.  Suppose the governor and Alliance Bernstein were to be asked if it is good for business that the future corporate neighbor of the latter is making money off selling the book "The Anarchist's Cookbook", a manual for terrorists, community organisers and Saul Alinksky acolytes? I'm sure it's all OK because it makes money right? Good for the business aspirations for people of a certain political persuasion right? And the two companies are based in parts of the country where this kind of thing has a kind of cache to it right?  So let's publicize this all over Nashville but wait until Amazon starts moving  in of course. And while we're at it we can publicize that books on actual serious topics are being banned. As shown on this website which is now run out of Nashville: https://pjmedia.com/homeland-security/amazon-bans-tommy-robinsons-book-mohammeds-koran/?fbclid=IwAR3uysWwm7dRkfL0vYJwodF5hCVoVi9qsIFY9EtNfuc8Ko2O24AAliR4_EM

BTW I would be really interested in a bit more specificity as to how my beliefs can visit "severe damage" on someone else short of physical assault or fraud or theft or libel or negligence or vandalism or criminal mischief. All of which have been experienced by yours truly BTW including severe breach of contract, and my life goes on pretty well.

Maybe an answer is forthcoming that does not rely too much on the word "feelings". I would remind that yours truly recieves the most vile vituperation and names called you can imagine on FB.  I've learned to deal with "feelings" in an adult way, if you can believe it

Edited by dragonfly

2 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

Amazon has every right to decide what they want to sell and what they dont want to sell. Just like any other company. Its just like Lifeway here is not going to sell books on devil worshiping. Same difference!

Who said anything about rights? Did I miss it? Why would a libertarian like yours truly even think of infringing a right.  My post is about publicity if you want to go back and reread.  Straw man argument so tedious and waste of time. If someone objects to publicizing this, what would be the objection so let's get to the point. Oh and how about a nice little joke thrown in based on said devil worshipping. "Rules for Radicals" also is good business practice for Amazon.  The author adds his little ditty worship of the fallen angel thusly: "Lest we forget at least an over the shoulder acknowledgment to the very first radical: from all our legends, mythology and history (and who is to know where mythology leaves off and history begins - or which is which), the very first radical known to man who rebelled against the establishment and did it so effectively that he at least won his own kingdom - Lucifer.”

This is much fun. Please don't come back and accuse me of having fun,  Or accuse of anything, if that is possible. Except for maybe advertising the book for Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Rules-Radicals-Practical-Primer-Realistic/dp/0679721134/ref=sr_1_1?crid=9BZFDLY30GA4&keywords=rules+for+radicals+alinsky&qid=1551904401&s=gateway&sprefix=rules+for%2Caps%2C159&sr=8-1

Edited by dragonfly

54 minutes ago, dragonfly said:

OK so how about this for moving forward.  Suppose the governor and Alliance Bernstein were to be asked if it is good for business that the future corporate neighbor of the latter is making money off selling the book "The Anarchist's Cookbook", a manual for terrorists, community organisers and Saul Alinksky acolytes? I'm sure it's all OK because it makes money right? Good for the business aspirations for people of a certain political persuasion right? And the two companies are based in parts of the country where this kind of thing has a kind of cache to it right?  So let's publicize this all over Nashville but wait until Amazon starts moving  in of course. And while we're at it we can publicize that books on actual serious topics are being banned. As shown on this website which is now run out of Nashville: https://pjmedia.com/homeland-security/amazon-bans-tommy-robinsons-book-mohammeds-koran/?fbclid=IwAR3uysWwm7dRkfL0vYJwodF5hCVoVi9qsIFY9EtNfuc8Ko2O24AAliR4_EM

I'm in the same boat as @smeagolsfree here.  Maybe this is just last night's bout of insomnia catching up to me, but you'll have to dumb that down for me my friend because I honestly am not sure what you're talking about or how it relates to what was being discussed. 

I really dont think it has anything to do with anything other than he was pissed because Amazon banned something and that's about all I gout out of it. the he goes back in a edits the post. People think because Amazon is Amazon they are something more than a retailer but in reality, that's all they are. They have the right do what they want to treat their employees the way they want to, make they deals they make and if they are bad decisions then the company fails, simple as that. Companies choose to be good or bad corporate citizens and their customers will either stay with them or leave them.

Frankly I did not follow the point he was trying to make at all.

• Like 2

I wonder what these imbecile west coast and New York companies are going to say when Tennessee passes laws to protect female athletes from having to fight men and getting their eye sockets broken in mma, boxing, wrestling, karate, judo, taekwondo, etc.

Edited by Ingram
  • Confused 3

From the Urban Planet Guidelines page: https://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/guidelines/

We have a zero tolerance policy for the following:

• Do not argue with anyone on the staff. If you have any questions, concerns, or feel as if you were unjustly punished, please PM the moderator involved or send an e-mail to us if you are unable to PM the moderator involved. Making a public scene of it not only won't help the situation, but will look very bad on your part, as well...possibly resulting in disciplinary action up to and including a permanent ban.
  • Anything else that leads to a fight with another forumer

Just wanted to repost the rules. I hate not joining in an argument, but don't do so because it's against the UP rules.... Plus, I'd much rather hear about Nashville Bits and Pieces than someones personal convictions.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Ingram said:

I wonder what these imbecile west coast and New York companies are going to say when Tennessee passes laws to protect female athletes from having to fight men and getting their eye sockets broken in mma, boxing, wrestling, karate, judo, taekwondo, etc.

I suppose "imbecile" in this case is defined as "the most valuable and profitable companies in the world."

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, titanhog said:

A LOT need to chill..for sure.  This whole damn thread went to hell in a hand basket! :stop::D

Right?  I mean, just look at this rabid unhinged exchange between these two animals!

9 hours ago, Mr_Bond said:

@BnaBreaker, thanks much for sharing your perspective.  I can understand why you feel so strongly about this and I'm sorry for your loss.  You have encouraged me to live more like Jesus because you've shown me the pain that comes from doing otherwise.  Again, thank you.

@satalac, the building needs a nickname.  Quartz Tower?

5 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

And I thank you sincerely for your compassion and understanding.  I hope you know that none of that was directed at you.  We could all learn a thing or two from you, myself included... myself especially.  You're a good man, and again, I'm sorry for any offense caused.

Oh the humanity! ;)

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3