Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

52 minutes ago, SoundScan said:

I suppose "imbecile" in this case is defined as "the most valuable and profitable companies in the world."

It's defined as loons who will threaten a state because that state wants to protect it's female athletes by not having their eye sockets broken because the loons somehow lost the ability to understand gender differences.

You can also say the same of the southern oligarchs with regards to their success and profitability. The people of the region during that time ate  it up. It looks as though the same thing is happening today with regards to the worship of corporations and land developers. The corporations and land developers want to be catered to, worshipped, and have power in the same way of the 1800s oligarchs. And you have modern day doughfaces who are dumb enough to help them do it.

Edited by Ingram
  • Haha 1

Lol another down arrow  @titanhog?  You're a tough critic!  What did I do wrong this time my friend... in the words of Jerry McGuire... help me, help you! lol  You were asking people to chill, so I just figured I'd show you that most of us are actually quite chill... quite complimentary in fact... but... I guess I shouldn't have?  :lol:

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, BnaBreaker said:

Lol another down arrow  @titanhog?  You're a tough critic!  What did I do wrong this time my friend... in the words of Jerry McGuire... help me, help you! lol  You were asking people to chill, so I just figured I'd show you that most of us are actually quite chill... quite complimentary in fact... but... I guess I shouldn't have?  :lol:

If you don't know...I can't help you. :P

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, BnaBreaker said:

imaginary internet points MATTER, gosh dangit!

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, grilled_cheese said:

imaginary internet points MATTER, gosh dangit!

Shoo, troll. 

14 minutes ago, BnaBreaker said:

Unfortunately my mind reading powers have faded with age.  ;)

I just want to make you happy.  :lol:

Knowing you want to make me happy makes me happy.  That's all I needed. :D

I went back and changed it.   Hope that now makes you happy. :D

Edited by titanhog
  • Haha 3

As an anthropological experiment, I would say this thread is a triumph!  It's like the online equivalent of putting a spider and a scorpion in the same jar and then shaking it to see if they'll fight.  For the record, I never did that in real life... just recalling what I saw on youtube one time.

• Haha 3

22 minutes ago, AronG said:

This is interesting, but not surprising. The 90s and 00s had a lot of big construction, but not skyscrapers.

I know it doesn't follow the top 25 over time, but if that chart kept it's trajectory over time, then we should have about 15 more buildings in line with our current top 25 (7 in the 90s, 8 in the 00s). 

Think of what our skyline would look like with 15 more buildings of 267+ ft.

• Like 2

How many think the perceived arbitrary height restrictions throughout the downtown core are ridiculous?  Some of it just doesn't make sense to me.  So...you have Endeavor at the 27 story height restriction...and then the one22one building across the street is probably going to go up to 27 stories...but since it's an office tower, it will be maybe 100' taller than Endeavor. What does that "story" restriction really do for anyone?  It just seems like some king sitting on a throne throwing out numbers to show everyone he's in charge.

I think something got way off kilter a long time ago with all of that. The original architectural height for a “story” is/was 10 feet. (Someone please correct me if I am wrong on this, but this is what I recall from architectural classes.) If they are going to speak in terms of stories referencing height, then they need to simply follow this or at least some regulated rule. Otherwise, they should state the height as it is and be done with the confusion... in my opinion. (I too get tired of the vagueness wrapped around this one, as it’s a very simple rule to follow.)

• Like 1

Question about the potential flood wall that's been proposed. I believe there's a real risk for rising sea levels in the next 30 years due to ice melting, etc. That not only affects coastal cities but also significantly affects rivers as it's all connected. This could pose a bigger threat than we've yet seen for the river downtown to flood WAY more than it ever has.

Does our Mayor/city council realize this potential threat? We need a large flood wall to protect downtown from not only 100 year flooding events (which might become every 5 yr events with climate change), but ALSO from rising sea levels which could have a far greater impact than we currently realize

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

Their heads are buried in the water that will drown them. The real threat right now is that the spring rains have not hit yet and the river levels are very high now. They think because that the 2010 flood was a 100 year flood or a 500 year flood they have that many years. I think many are not paying attention to the canary in the coal mine. Just like a frog in a boiling pot. You dont know it till its too late. 

The flood wall would protect the economic engine of the city such as business, tourism, and convention. If that is not protected then your tax base takes a big hit if you get flooded again. Then you dont have the money to fix the rest of the areas around town. The problem is that Metro and Planning let too many homes be built in the areas that are prone to flooding and all the council members want their little kingdoms fixed first.

The main thing Metro needs to do and they have been doing it some is buying back some of those homes in flood zones and not allowing building to take place, but you have to look at where the most damage will be done first and that is downtown and around Opryland. That is billions of dollars of development that has to be protected and a couple of hundred million is a small price to pay when and not if this happens again.

Climate change is real. Climate change is constant. We are a blip on the geological history of the planet. We either adapt or we fail as a species. Its just a matter of what you believe is the cause but that change is going to happen regardless.

This This This...this post is worth reading again!!!

I did notice the Pinnacle Office Building was having gallons and gallons of water pumped out, presumably from the basement, for several days. They were pumping as fast as the nearby drainage inlet would absorb. This part of SoBro is basically a concrete swamp now.

39 minutes ago, PHofKS said:

I did notice the Pinnacle Office Building was having gallons and gallons of water pumped out, presumably from the basement, for several days. They were pumping as fast as the nearby drainage inlet would absorb. This part of SoBro is basically a concrete swamp now.

They were still pumping as of yesterday, if I recall correctly. 

• Like 1