Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

A couple of weeks ago water began to accumulate in the Terrazzo garage because our two sump pumps kicked on at the same time and were on the same circuit.  The sudden power pull of two pumps starting at once flipped the breaker.  The next day we put in a new circuit for one of the pumps.  Problem fixed.

The pumps put water into the storm drainage system.  Since other buildings are doing this, the water must be rapidly flowing into the Cumberland.  The buildings that are downhill and closest to the river would be the first to see water accumulate in their garages should the river rise that high, especially with all that water flowing into the storm water system from other buildings downtown and midtown.

• Like 3

Due to Nashville's urban sprawl, what cities does Nashville look bigger than but in reality is smaller than? I ask this because I had a client from New Jersey see Nashville for the first time and said Nashville looks much, much bigger than the population suggests. Is this size illusion only exclusive to Nashville and Atlanta?

Edited by OnePointEast
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, OnePointEast said:

Due to Nashville's urban sprawl, what cities does Nashville look bigger than but in reality is smaller than? I ask this because I had a client from New Jersey see Nashville for the first time and said Nashville looks much, much bigger than the population suggests. Is this size illusion only exclusive to Nashville and Atlanta?

Atlanta actually IS big: 5.6 million population in the metro, compared to Nashville's  which is just now getting to 2 million.

• Like 2

Middle Tenn. is under a tornado watch. Be safe out there, Nashville UPers. The threat is stronger in Southern Middle than in Davidson, but I can't rule out the possibility of rotation in isolated cells around Nashville as the afternoon progresses. Any tornado in this system will be rain-wrapped and hard to see.

Tornado warning in Hardin Co., SW of Nashville. I expect more to fire up as the day heats up temperatures to the upper 60s.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PHofKS said:

Future tenements.

That's what they are right now, though. They serve the exact same purpose: cheap, simply-constructed mass housing for the proles. It's just that these have aerobics bars and infinity pools to distract from it. I'm not sure why everyone on here expects any sort of architectural novelty from them.

As an aside though, I bet if you took an old 19th-century tenement and threw in some quartz countertops and exposed ceilings the millennials would be all like:

a3e89d7d643a7ad2.gif

• Like 2

50% of the Nashville chapter of the Entrepreneurs' Organization believe Middle Tennessee's economy will improve this year, and 47% think it will stay about the same. Only 3% think it will worsen.

More at NBJ here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2019/03/11/will-nashvilles-economy-keep-booming-heres-what-a.html?iana=hpmvp_nsh_news_headline

• Like 4

When we post the good news we need to post the bad news or in this case the not so good news.

Nashville ranks near the bottom # 84 for best places in the top 100 to live according to https://livability.com/best-places/top-100-best-places-to-live/2019.

This from the NBJ. https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2019/03/11/nashville-near-bottom-100-best-places-to-live.html

• Like 2