Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

18 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

When we post the good news we need to post the bad news or in this case the not so good news.

Nashville ranks near the bottom # 84 for best places in the top 100 to live according to https://livability.com/best-places/top-100-best-places-to-live/2019.

This from the NBJ. https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2019/03/11/nashville-near-bottom-100-best-places-to-live.html

I would not live in a single city in the top 10 besides possibly the Carolinas. Freezing cold winters can eat my shorts, haha.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, PaulChinetti said:

I would not live in a single city in the top 10 besides possibly the Carolinas. Freezing cold winters can eat my shorts, haha.

yeah, you gotta get into the teens on that list before I would even contemplate living in one of those areas.

• Like 2

An organization called Truth in Accounting has released a report on what it considers the financial state of several US cities. I'm not qualified to speak on their methodology but they seem to conclude Nashville is in bad shape (FWIW they say the same thing about most other cities). Of note is the $3.2 billion we supposedly have in unfunded retiree health care benefits.

https://www.truthinaccounting.org/library/doclib/2019-Financial-State-of-the-Cities-Report--1.pdf

Screen Shot 2019-03-12 at 8.41.22 AM.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rockatansky said:

You'd adjust.

Rather than adjust, I can live in city with warmer weather.  :tw_glasses:

5 hours ago, Will said:

An organization called Truth in Accounting has released a report on what it considers the financial state of several US cities. I'm not qualified to speak on their methodology but they seem to conclude Nashville is in bad shape (FWIW they say the same thing about most other cities). Of note is the $3.2 billion we supposedly have in unfunded retiree health care benefits.

https://www.truthinaccounting.org/library/doclib/2019-Financial-State-of-the-Cities-Report--1.pdf

Screen Shot 2019-03-12 at 8.41.22 AM.png

The unfunded pension liabilities are the big hurt for every government or corporate entity with a pension.  The math behind an 'unfunded' benefit gets complicated quick.  One rule of thumb that applies here is that the bigger the 'unfunded' number relative to tax revenue the worse it is.  Of course, they are not showing us annual revenue but they are letting us know each taxpayer's share of the 'debt' which is a decent proxy.

It would be interesting to see each state's unfunded pension liabilities as well.  After all, a taxpayer in lives in, and pays taxes in, a city AND a state.

• Like 3

I was in Denver over the weekend and saw they had a few tower cranes lit up in purple LED's all along the structure at night. You could see them from miles away. Just wanted to encourage Nashville developers to step up their crane game in case any of them read this. Sorry wasn't able to get a picture while driving. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Craiger said:

I was in Denver over the weekend and saw they had a few tower cranes lit up in purple LED's all along the structure at night. You could see them from miles away. Just wanted to encourage Nashville developers to step up their crane game in case any of them read this. Sorry wasn't able to get a picture while driving. 

When my flight took off from sea-tac airport back at Christmas headed home I saw one crane lite up in led lighting and it really stood out from above. I was thinking  the same thing, Nashville needs led Lights on our crane’s. 

Edited by Buildtall

JP Morgan-Chase plans another branch in southern Davidson County (first planned in East Nashville will open next year).  Not such a surprise, but piqued my interest as to whether they'll look for an acquisition target (Pinnacle, perhaps?). 

And there's this:

In addition to Nashville, JPMorgan confirmed its branch plans for several high-growth markets, including: Charlotte, North Carolina; Raleigh, North Carolina; Greenville, South Carolina; Kansas City, Kansas; Minneapolis, Minnesota; Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania; Providence, Rhode Island; and St. Louis, Missouri. They'll also add locations near Auburn University in Alabama and the University of Nebraska, according to a news release.

Made me chuckle when I saw Auburn and Lincoln, NE. Seems a top executive has a child at those universities. 

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2019/03/13/jpmorgan-chase-confirms-plans-for-nashville-branch.html

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, satalac said:

I was watching Channel 5 this morning and they were talking to Turner Construction about the impressive growth in Nashville. When the journalist was listing some of the construction, she said "the project at Lake Palmer" :tw_joy:.

I bet Alex Palmer shoots a hole in his tv every time someone says Lake Palmer! :tw_lol:

And btw...couldn’t we take credit for coming up with the name?  Surely “Lake Palmer” started on here...right?

Edited by titanhog
  • Like 3

The first reference I see on the board is here. I dont know if I picked this up at the meet or heard it from someone else at the meet but this is from Jan. 2008.

Good meet today adn thanks for showing up.

We had about a dozen, including Bzorch and another from the Charrette, WW, myself, producer2, jaxboro, skyscrapergeek and company, Hankster, bwithers, and nashvegas.

We had an update on 1808 West End which is a 15 story office building being converted to another hotel, the Eakin twins towers property will be vacant in Feb 09 for the possible start of that project. Best One tires will relocate their retail entity to West End and the warehouse goes to Murfreesboro Rd. Lake Palmer still has water flowing into it which may be a spring. We dont know for sure. I did talk to someone with Bovis Land lease and he said they would start on the actual construction very soon.

WW updated on the Siggy, but I am sorry to say we cannot say anything right now other than Tony G. is doing all possible to make this baby rise.

We had a lengthy discussion on the new Convention Center. The only news is that there may be news in a couple of weeks and I didn't know that a hotel company had bought land on the Greyhound side for a hotel. So there may be two large hotels to accompany the center.

Edited January 5, 2008 by smeagolsfree

My guess is that we have John , doorman poet to thank for getting this on Wiki as Lake Palmer has its own Wiki page here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Palmer.

I do know that John has posting and editing privileges on Wiki and this sounds like something he would do as he loves to embarrass Palmer just as we did.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Mayor Briley is expected to announce an overhaul in public housing that would have at least 3 major components:  1) A 10-year commitment to help pay for the Envision Cayce projects; 2) City-funded infrastructure at those redevelopment sites;  3) Some allocation to the Barnes Fund for Affordable Housing Innovation, which provides grants to affordable housing developers.

More at The Tennessean here:

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2019/03/14/major-announcement-briley-commit-city-funds-public-housing-overhaul/3166945002/

Mat Wilshire, who has run the Mayor's Office of Economic and Community Development for 8 years, will be joining MDHA to implement the big plan. he helped spearhead the landing of close to 7,000 new jobs with Amazon, AllianceBernstein, and Ernst-Young deals. 

More behind the NBJ paywall here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2019/03/15/exclusive-matt-wiltshire-preps-to-leave-mayors.html?iana=hpmvp_nsh_news_headline

• Like 2