Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

28 minutes ago, PHofKS said:

Apparently, Detroit was invaded also. The action starts around the 5 minute mark.

Hopefully, they'll take their tour to a town where someone is ready for them.

Actually...this must be some nationwide thing.  When someone posted videos on Facebook yesterday from local media, I saw more than one person say “yeah, that same thing happened in X a few days ago” (I just can’t remember what cities were mentioned)

Yes, it is a nationwide issue. It's been going on for years but has really been increasing in size, scope, frequency, and severity lately. 

Some of you might remember this story from a few years ago where a similar bike mob attacked a family with an infant in an SUV, with an ensuing chase throughout NYC. "Sideshows", like what happened on I-24 last month (by the same people, btw), have been happening all over California for years. Now that these gangs have expanded into dirtbikes and ATVs, which are much less expensive, their numbers have shot up dramatically. This is a problem now in NYC, LASt. Louis, New Orleans, Atlanta, Cleveland, Detroit, DC, and pretty much every major city across the country. There was a documentary at SXSW this year about Baltimore's ATV and dirtbike gang, "12 O-Clock Boys".

Police are not allowed to pursue, and these gangs know that, so they taunt police and continue to terrorize the streets. They harass and kill drivers who get in their way, and the Nashville chapter openly threatened to do so yesterday, too: "All you [expletive] stay in your lane or y'all gonna end up hanging from a bridge".

This is a serious problem and no one seems to know what to do about it. 

Edited by fishsticks176
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, CenterHill said:

What do you mean the police are not allowed to pursue?      If bikers are disobeying traffic laws and harassing drivers, why would there not be citations issued?    Some of these vehicles are probably not even legal to drive on city streets without a permit.  

None of the ATVs or dirtbikes are street legal and many are stolen, often from dealerships. Plus a lot of the riders are illegally armed. There's *cause* to pursue, however, police know that active pursuit only results in increased risk to the public and many cities have no-chase policies in place. There have been instances where police have successfully blockaded some dirtbikes in on certain roads (I can't find the articles to link but I remember reading of one in NYC in which they caught a staggering three people out of hundreds), but even then, the trapped riders flee on foot and the rest of the 100+ person gang escapes on their vehicles. It's like herding cats.

Edited by fishsticks176
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

How long before a group of 100 idiots on dirt bikes and four-wheelers creating havoc on Lower Broadway encounter a few liquored-up good ol' boys in town on vacation and violence ensues? That seems to be a logical conclusion when you mix two potentially combustible ingredients. Metro PD needs to nip this in the bud somehow before it gets bad.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, CenterHill said:

What do you mean the police are not allowed to pursue?      If bikers are disobeying traffic laws and harassing drivers, why would there not be citations issued?    Some of these vehicles are probably not even legal to drive on city streets without a permit.  

I would think they mean to avoid even more chaos and anything else that ensues from a high speed chase/crash.  How do you pursue something that is made to go off road. Cops in cars can't do much, police motorcycles aren't for off roading, the police helicopter is the only good alternative but it can only follow one bike all the way home and it doesn't have unlimited fuel. 

I mean ya block a street, the dirt bikes can basically go anywhere as they are so narrow. Throw down spike strips and then you have an out of control vehicle that could kill the person or someone else as it goes out of control. 

Cops are between a rock and hard place here and I don't envy them having to deal with this problem at all.

• Like 2

Saturday afternoon on I-65 just north of the Tennessee River in north Alabama I passed a flatbed with section of a black crane on it.  Immediately thought, "I wonder where in Nashville that crane is heading?"  Anyone know of a black crane going up this week?