Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

6 hours ago, jmtunafish said:

Another corporate headquarters relocation for Nashville:

Dutch company AkzoNobel is moving its North American HQ from Chicago to Nashville.  Founded in 1792, AkzoNobel has had a Nashville presence for 70 years; it has a powder-coating manufacturing plant near Trevecca, employing 200.  The 70 high-ranking executives at its HQ will be housed in the former Bridgestone NA building on Marriott Drive near the airport.  In fact, they mentioned Nashville's airport expansion among the reasons for coming to Nashville, along with Nashville's central location, business-friendly climate, and Nashville's wealth of "real cultural and community diversity."

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2019/03/21/exclusive-dutch-company-moves-north-americanhq-to.html

This is amazing! This and the Philips continued expansion (and hopefully maybe even another headquarter relocation the way things are going fingers crossed!) will surely warrant a direct flight to Amsterdam. Akzo mentioned the airport expansion as a reason for coming, do they anticipate more european direct flights when they talk about that or no?

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Binbin98 said:

This is amazing! This and the Philips continued expansion (and hopefully maybe even another headquarter relocation the way things are going fingers crossed!) will surely warrant a direct flight to Amsterdam. Akzo mentioned the airport expansion as a reason for coming, do they anticipate more european direct flights when they talk about that or no?

I wondered that, too.  I'm sure just adding more baggage carousels and a few extra gates isn't what excited them about BNA's expansion.  It sure seems like they know about some additional nonstop destinations that are coming, hopefully including one to their home country of the Netherlands.

for those of you who enjoy beautiful cars, comedy, and architecture ....this weeks episode of The Grand Tour on Amazon Prime is amazing.
They travel through Georgia and Azerbaijan (from the black sea to the caspian sea) and they highlight some of the best architecture along the way that I have ever seen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

11 hours ago, bhibbs said:

for those of you who enjoy beautiful cars, comedy, and architecture ....this weeks episode of The Grand Tour on Amazon Prime is amazing.
They travel through Georgia and Azerbaijan (from the black sea to the caspian sea) and they highlight some of the best architecture along the way that I have ever seen.

I love those guys... still have yet to join Amazon Prime and watch the new show, but I'm pretty sure I've seen every episode of Top Gear, and my favorite ones were when they would go on those epic global road trips... you've more or less confirmed for me that my fears that their new show wouldn't have the same flavor was unfounded, so I appreciate it!  Sounds like I have Amazon Prime in my future!

• Like 1

I love those guys... still have yet to join Amazon Prime and watch the new show, but I'm pretty sure I've seen every episode of Top Gear, and my favorite ones were when they would go on those epic global road trips... you've more or less confirmed for me that my fears that their new show wouldn't have the same flavor was unfounded, so I appreciate it!  Sounds like I have Amazon Prime in my future!

It’s exactly like Top Gear, if not better...you won’t regret it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dale said:

Don’t think I’ve ever seen a downtown *of its size* transforming as rapidly as Nashville’s. 

I agree, every time I go there it feels like one big chaotic construction site lol. The downtown will feel so much more urban and lively with Fifth + Broadway and Nashville Yards when they finally open. It feels like Nashville went from a Louisville tier city to an Austin tier city in less than 10 years!

On a side note I am pretty pissed off at the lack of foresight BNA had with their expansion, flying thru there recently the customs area is still not big enough (on my flight from London there were people from Europe, Africa, Arabia, India and Asia all being processed through a small customs space) and the baggage area becomes mayhem in the evenings and daytime. I hope after the expansion it will feel more relieved but something tells me the expansion will already be obsolete after it is finished. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Binbin98 said:

I agree, every time I go there it feels like one big chaotic construction site lol. The downtown will feel so much more urban and lively with Fifth + Broadway and Nashville Yards when they finally open. It feels like Nashville went from a Louisville tier city to an Austin tier city in less than 10 years!

On a side note I am pretty pissed off at the lack of foresight BNA had with their expansion, flying thru there recently the customs area is still not big enough (on my flight from London there were people from Europe, Africa, Arabia, India and Asia all being processed through a small customs space) and the baggage area becomes mayhem in the evenings and daytime. I hope after the expansion it will feel more relieved but something tells me the expansion will already be obsolete after it is finished. 

Can’t vouch for BNA, but IMO, downtown Nashville is rapidly becoming more interesting than downtown Austin.

• Like 4

The current Customs operation at BNA is definitely temporary.  Hopefully the new permanent facility which is under construction will be large enough to hand the inevitable addition of more international flights.

I’ve taken the British Airways flight into BNA several times and can attest to it being far too small, inadequately staffed and generally poorly organized. The completion of BNA Vision project can’t come quickly enough as the airport is terribly busy in all areas today.  All of  the construction makes it feel a bit chaotic at times. 

Edited by dxfret
  • Like 3

On 3/21/2019 at 1:09 AM, titanhog said:

Arrested the ATV guy who dragged the policeman into the barrier in DT this past weekend.

https://www.wkrn.com/news/crime-tracker/police-atv-rider-arrested-for-dragging-metro-officer-down-broadway/1864499449

IDK if you guys have seen these videos, but this one popped up on my "Recommended for You" list from Youtube. LOL... like I've ever searched for ATV/Motorcycle wheelies in my life! Pretty brazen to post YT video. Shouldn't make it too hard to catch these guys.

Edited by MLBrumby

2 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

IDK if you guys have seen these videos, but this one popped up on my "Recommended for You" list from Youtube. LOL... like I've ever searched for ATV/Motorcycle wheelies in my life! Pretty brazen to post YT video. Shouldn't make it too hard to catch these guys.

These guys want to be caught. Being caught = more Famous = more IG followers = more money. 

Have they been roaming around the city still or was it just that one weekend? 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, nashvylle said:

Have they been roaming around the city still or was it just that one weekend? 

On nice Saturday afternoons they often ride through The Gulch as part of their circuit but I don't think they've been through here since the Broadway incident.

• Like 1