Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

3 hours ago, Bos2Nash said:

So is that 8.1% drop factoring in the 2-month free deal? It stipulates that only some buildings are seeing this drop and that some are offering this deal. 

After reading the article and the referenced article, it's not clear how the number is calculated.  Reading between the lines, I would say that the 8.1% drop does not take into account any free-month deals, since the monthly rent rate has not changed.  It would be difficult to translate each special offer to a monthly rent rate so I'm guessing they don't even try.

Part of this apartment rent decrease could be rental concessions.  For example when a complex says 1 or 2 month free they usually don't give you a month free but take the amount of rent and spread it over the lease.  Concessions are up in Charlotte too it is just too many high end apartments.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

Part of this apartment rent decrease could be rental concessions.  For example when a complex says 1 or 2 month free they usually don't give you a month free but take the amount of rent and spread it over the lease.  Concessions are up in Charlotte too it is just too many high end apartments.  

My experience has been exactly the opposite. They don’t charge you rent via your online account for the length of the concession. When we moved south we calculated our living expenses by spreading it out over the lease. But RAM Management does it up front

• Like 1

I guess it depends on the landlord my friend is an apartment manager and they spread it out over the term of the lease. 

Just now, Bos2Nash said:

My experience has been exactly the opposite. They don’t charge you rent via your online account for the length of the concession. When we moved south we calculated our living expenses by spreading it out over the lease. But RAM Management does it up front

• Like 1

On 3/24/2019 at 5:00 PM, nashvylle said:

These guys want to be caught. Being caught = more Famous = more IG followers = more money. 

Have they been roaming around the city still or was it just that one weekend? 

They are in East Nashville pretty regularly, so I have a feeling that's where they start and end their tour. Four guys block the intersection while the group rides through. I used to watch them come across the bridge into downtown from the Stahlman.

The scary thing is, what happens when someone in a car, obeying the road rules, hits one of these guys and injures him. What is the rest of the gang going to do.... This sh*t is ridiculous. 

52 minutes ago, NashvilleObserver said:

They are in East Nashville pretty regularly, so I have a feeling that's where they start and end their tour. Four guys block the intersection while the group rides through. I used to watch them come across the bridge into downtown from the Stahlman.

The scary thing is, what happens when someone in a car, obeying the road rules, hits one of these guys and injures him. What is the rest of the gang going to do.... This sh*t is ridiculous. 

Yeah, they meet and organize near the Waffle House on Trinity Lane for each ride.

Thats always been my concern, too, especially after the explicit threats made by their cameraman.

I simply do not believe issuing bonds is the correct way to go about this. If permitted by law, incentivize private developers via tax credits if they include affordable housing. 

The city will still get more tax revenue from the development, but just not as much if the development were 100% affordable housing. No taxes would be raised

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, nashvylle said:

I simply do not believe issuing bonds is the correct way to go about this. If permitted by law, incentivize private developers via tax credits if they include affordable housing. 

The city will still get more tax revenue from the development, but just not as much if the development were 100% affordable housing. No taxes would be raised

https://hub.nashville.gov/s/request-type/a0ut0000000g4s7AAA/submit-budget-ideas-to-mayor-briley?language=en_US

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Big fan of this. It's definitely going to put Nashville on the national forefront of innovative and ambitious city policy around affordable & public housing. It's ironic that the state legislature closed off the normal outlets for political pressure on this topic (inclusionary zoning) and now Nashville is basically dabbling in european-style social housing, as practiced at a much greater scale in cities like Vienna with great success.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, bwithers1 said:

We had that program but it still did not attract the private  investment.  And then the State Legislature preempted our affordable housing ordinance.  So please go back to the State with that idea.  The plan announced today does indicate that an avenue that is being explored for the private-sector challenge would the potential creation of an affordable housing Real Estate Investment Trust (REIT).

How was the MLS 10 acre development allowed to do the ~30% affordable housing? Is it because metro / state cannot legally enforce a community benefits agreement? 

Perhaps that would be the route. 

1 hour ago, NashvilleObserver said:

Pardon the flood of pictures, but I've been away in Shanghai. Now that I've caught up with all the UP Nashville developments (wow) I wanted to share a few skyscraper photos from Shanghai and Wuxi. 

No shortage of interesting buildings! Hardly any plain boxes, and holy **** do they know how to put great crowns on skyscrapers! While there, I of course had to check out the observation deck of the world's second tallest tower, the Shanghai Tower. 

There is a great mix of classic French architecture, revitalized British buildings, and modern towers. Parks are everywhere. I could go on and on about the amazing infrastructure, incredibly well-developed transit rail system (including high-speed maglev trains to the airport and surrounding cities, and pedestrian friendliness (elevated walkways over all the major intersections, sidewalks along major arteries separated from street traffic by hedges and trees); such an amazing city.

Nashville would do well to plan for future development by modeling itself after this city.

IMG-2725.JPG

IMG-2901.JPG

IMG-3005.JPG

IMG-3037.JPG

IMG-3371.JPG

IMG-3461.JPG

IMG-3821.JPG

IMG-3830.JPG

IMG-3887.JPG

IMG-3916.JPG

IMG-4180.JPG

IMG-4214.JPG

I am studying abroad in shanghai this summer and next year. Wanna meet up then lol

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NashvilleObserver said:

Pardon the flood of pictures, but I've been away in Shanghai. Now that I've caught up with all the UP Nashville developments (wow) I wanted to share a few skyscraper photos from Shanghai and Wuxi. 

No shortage of interesting buildings! Hardly any plain boxes, and holy **** do they know how to put great crowns on skyscrapers! While there, I of course had to check out the observation deck of the world's second tallest tower, the Shanghai Tower. 

There is a great mix of classic French architecture, revitalized British buildings, and modern towers. Parks are everywhere. I could go on and on about the amazing infrastructure, incredibly well-developed transit rail system (including high-speed maglev trains to the airport and surrounding cities, and pedestrian friendliness (elevated walkways over all the major intersections, sidewalks along major arteries separated from street traffic by hedges and trees); such an amazing city.

Nashville would do well to plan for future development by modeling itself after this city.

IMG-3916.JPG

The building on the right is *looking a whole lot like One Atlantic Center in Atlanta.

Edited by e-dub
  • Like 1

On 3/25/2019 at 9:36 PM, PaulChinetti said:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/politics/legislation/article/21049820/alliancebernstein-warns-legislature-against-antilgbt-bills

AB letting the legislators know how they feel. 

It is hard to attract employees to states that are not open and welcoming,” Woolley says. “Think of how it looks trying to get people from San Francisco in the tech industry or the Northeast and the financial sector to relocate here when that's what they see the South representing.”

Sheer coastal state culture war bullying.  Like it or not the South represents their political opposition. And they're welcoming alright. They welcome men into womens's sport competition and into high school girls locker rooms. They welcome men with cameras into the ladies rooms. They welcome gigantic tent cities (in the warmer sectors) complete with feces and discarded needles and overall devastating effects on neigborhood conditions and property values. I'm welcoming too and I welcome these guys to come onto here and debate this.  The reason they want to leave or expand out of those areas happens to be the unwelcoming business climate that can be tolerated by the richest companies, but paying out the nose to operate can be tolerated just so much. Go look at the population shrinkage of New York state and reconcile with their welcoming high horse. Oh and I wonder if Condoleeza Rice would be welcome at the commencement of Columbia. She was extremely unwelcome at the one at Bandeis in Boston and gracious woman that she is backed out of the engagement, saving the administration the embarrassment of disinviting her.  How welcome are Dennis Prager's PragerU economic videos on Youtube? You wonder how much  Republican donors are welcome onto the liberal arts faculty of any elite universtiy up there? Don't even ask.

So these coastal business elites might not be as bad as other sectors up there but don't ever forget, these coastal cultural capitals are politically run by people that look down sneeringly on the working people and church goers in the interior of the country; and the business types are rubbing shoulders with them every day. I'm in Texas now, Texas is in the South and if they want to maintain that Texas is unfriendly and unwelcoming, they'll be met with uproarious laughter. This state offered me in-state status for tuition at UT Austin after only one year of moving from TN. I welcome the AB people onto here  to hear out their logic vs. mine on this.

• Confused 1