Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

54 minutes ago, PaulChinetti said:

Not a thing, not a thing, illegal in all states. 

I was born on Ft Campbell to a military family and have lived in Tennessee my whole life. I don't come from the coast and I think it's despicable what our legislature is doing. You seem to despise people getting lumped together, so stop lumping people together. 

Though illegal, happening. AND THIS IS MY SHOCKED FACE that it’s happening.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, dragonfly said:

Sheer coastal state culture war bullying.  Like it or not the South represents their political opposition. And they're welcoming alright. They welcome men into womens's sport competition and into high school girls locker rooms. They welcome men with cameras into the ladies rooms. They welcome gigantic tent cities (in the warmer sectors) complete with feces and discarded needles and overall devastating effects on neigborhood conditions and property values. I'm welcoming too and I welcome these guys to come onto here and debate this.  The reason they want to leave or expand out of those areas happens to be the unwelcoming business climate that can be tolerated by the richest companies, but paying out the nose to operate can be tolerated just so much. Go look at the population shrinkage of New York state and reconcile with their welcoming high horse. Oh and I wonder if Condoleeza Rice would be welcome at the commencement of Columbia. She was extremely unwelcome at the one at Bandeis in Boston and gracious woman that she is backed out of the engagement, saving the administration the embarrassment of disinviting her.  How welcome are Dennis Prager's PragerU economic videos on Youtube? You wonder how much  Republican donors are welcome onto the liberal arts faculty of any elite universtiy up there? Don't even ask.

So these coastal business elites might not be as bad as other sectors up there but don't ever forget, these coastal cultural capitals are politically run by people that look down sneeringly on the working people and church goers in the interior of the country; and the business types are rubbing shoulders with them every day. I'm in Texas now, Texas is in the South and if they want to maintain that Texas is unfriendly and unwelcoming, they'll be met with uproarious laughter. This state offered me in-state status for tuition at UT Austin after only one year of moving from TN. I welcome the AB people onto here  to hear out their logic vs. mine on this.

Before this post is either removed or labeled hate speech, let's remember that dialogue has to be maintained for modern society to move forward. Shouting "Bigot" towards conservatives or "Fake News" to liberals does not except divide us. If you can't explain why you disagree with someone apart from yelling bigot, you a better explanation. 

I do not know @dragonfly but I am willing to be that he or she does not "hate" any group of people, but has reservations about policy.. it's ok to disagree!       If Donald Trump says he is a woman and demands everyone to label him as the first woman president of the united states, I am no bigot nor am I transphobic for saying HE isn't.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             

As for men competing in women's sports, yes it is happening, already, and it is ok to discuss the merits of it. simply yelling "bigot" at anyone to shutup and shame conversation is not effective.                                                                                     

https://abcnews.go.com/US/transgender-teens-outrun-track-field-competitors-critics-close/story?id=55856294

Edited by nashvylle
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, nashvylle said:

Before this post is either removed or labeled hate speech, let's remember that dialogue has to be maintained for modern society to move forward. Shouting "Bigot" towards conservatives or "Fake News" to liberals does not except divide us. If you can't explain why you disagree with someone apart from yelling bigot, you a better explanation. 

I do not know @dragonfly but I am willing to be that he or she does not "hate" any group of people, but has reservations about policy.. it's ok to disagree!       If Donald Trump says he is a woman and demands everyone to label him as the first woman president of the united states, I am no bigot nor am I transphobic for saying HE isn't.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             

As for men competing in women's sports, yes it is happening, already, and it is ok to discuss the merits of it. simply yelling "bigot" at anyone to shutup and shame conversation is not effective.                                                                                     

https://abcnews.go.com/US/transgender-teens-outrun-track-field-competitors-critics-close/story?id=55856294

That post wasn't hate speech, it was, let's say something akin to an airing of grievances that covered everything from Condoleeza Rice and youtube censorship to his own personal college admissions experience, without ever actually discussing the underlying issue at hand - whether cities can enact anti-discrimination laws that run counter to the religious beliefs of the majority of the state legislature.  That kind of discussion could potentially be relevant to an urban planning forum, but what we got instead was a random assortment of culture war anecdotes and bitterness at perceived sleights. 

If y'all want to discuss the transgender sports issues, I'm all for it in the coffeehouse.  If Donald Trump decides he's a woman and wants to be referred to as such, I'd be happy to oblige him while simultaneously respecting your right to call him whatever you choose without fear of criminal penalty - but again - that's more of a coffee house topic and doesn't have much overlap with urban planning.

So I guess my point is, can the mods please move this stuff to a coffee house thread?  And if not, while we're waiting to start a new coffeehouse thread for those who are interested, can the mods please delete these posts off of this thread so we can at least spare the random passers-by.

• Thanks 2

Jamari Brown will become the Director of the Mayor's Office of Economic and Community Development starting April 1st.  

Brown is well-known to a number of key members of the region's business and economic development community, because he has spent nearly his entire career at the state Department of Economic and Community Development. In those nearly 11 years at the state, Brown has worked on a number of business recruitments and expansions, from AllianceBernstein's forthcoming downtown Nashville headquarters to Google's data center in Clarksville to The Icee Co.'s recently announced headquarters move to La Vergne. Hankook Tire America Corp., Philips, Lyft, Warner Music Group and UBS are among other deals Brown worked on.

Brown is an alumnus of Nashville's Pearl-Cohn public magnet high school, and earned a degree in business administration from the University of Tennessee at Martin.

He will succeed Matt Wiltshire,  who is taking a newly created position at MDHA as Chief Strategy and Intergovernmental Affairs Officer. 

More at NBJ here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2019/03/28/briley-hires-state-recruiter-to-lead-nashvilles.html?iana=hpmvp_nsh_news_headline

And The Nashville Post here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/politics/people/article/21061891/briley-taps-new-ecd-director

• Like 4

So looks like the draft is taking out some cherry trees on the river front. 21 of them. The NFL is going to give the city 10k and replace the trees post draft. 

Sometimes I wonder if the administration is just dumb, why not just say this before and get ahead of it then let it blow up on Twitter and get petitions and the like involved. 

F6BFEBD3-C804-4053-A1D5-EDAF7CEC7F67.png

CEF9AC09-5DE4-486C-9605-C8304354B8F8.png

Edited by PaulChinetti
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

It's another disaster PR move from the city. This news is something that should have been released ages ago to give a sense of full-transparency, but now it feels like the NFL is pulling a fast one on everybody because of the short notice. I have a hard time believing that they couldn't have possibly built around those trees somehow, but if their commitment to replacement is genuine then it wont be the end of the world. The FAQ is also very thorough and well-done, but not enough people know of its existence. 

Another point of contention that I’ve heard is that, while the NFL will fund replacement of the trees, there is a high mortality rate for newly-planted cherry trees and the replacement will effectively result in less trees than were there to begin with. This was posted on Reddit by some source but I’m on mobile and unable to cite it right now. 

Edited by fishsticks176