Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

20 minutes ago, CityHeart said:

World Cup 2026. 

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2019/04/01/tourism-chief-says-nfl-draft-will-help-nashvilles.html?iana=hpmvp_nsh_news_headline

I completely forgot about the possibility of Nashville being selected as a host city for the World Cup.  Atlanta being so close in proximity with a world class stadium  does make  me wonder how good Nashville's chances are. 

I thought we were already selected as a host city, or am I mistaken?

According to the TN, they are getting ready to transplant the trees.  Rolling eyes.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/local/2019/04/02/nashville-begins-prep-remove-10-cherry-trees-downtown-nfl-draft/3341751002/

My feelings is that they are wasting money because transplanting trees this time of year is not good, especially Yoshino Cherries, which is what these are do not transplant well this time of year and they are larger trees. They have enough trouble with heat stress in August  without having to deal with it in the Spring and Summer. They most all drop their leaves in August and look like crap.

They will have to prepare the holes carefully and they way those trees are planted in with the concrete around them, I dont think they can get enough   of the root ball. Those tress are most likely going to die and the are spending a lot of extra dollars for nothing. They will have to put tons of water on these trees everyday even if the survive the transplant.

Stupidity on the mayors part trying to win an election because something stupid like this is an issue instead of youth violence in the city and we have 65000 people sign a petition and they dont get upset when a 12,13, 14 & 15 year old kill someone. 

People in the community have their priorities all out of whack.

Sorry guys, I did not mean to editorialize but it just happened. This is a big waste of taxpayer dollars over ten trees that are most likely going to die

• Like 3

I agree with Smeagolsfree for the most part but also think that there are a significant number who are getting concerned the Titans are going to soon demand a new stadium.  I have been a day one season ticket holder and was on the Yes Committee to bring the Titans here but I am so tired of these billionaire owners holding cities hostage for these billion dollar stadiums or threaten to move the team.  Jerry Jones basically bankrupted Arlington, TX for his grand stadium and similar with Arthur Blank in Atlanta.  The trees are sort of a point where people are saying to the NFL, enough of your bullying for billionaires.  The secrecy around it was also an issue as it seemed to be a sort of an attempt to be extravagant for no real reason.  There is no reason to have to have such a large stage for a single guy to walk over to the commissioner and hole up his jersey and hat.  

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

According to the TN, they are getting ready to transplant the trees.  Rolling eyes.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/local/2019/04/02/nashville-begins-prep-remove-10-cherry-trees-downtown-nfl-draft/3341751002/

My feelings is that they are wasting money because transplanting trees this time of year is not good, especially Yoshino Cherries, which is what these are do not transplant well this time of year and they are larger trees. They have enough trouble with heat stress in August  without having to deal with it in the Spring and Summer. They most all drop their leaves in August and look like crap.

They will have to prepare the holes carefully and they way those trees are planted in with the concrete around them, I dont think they can get enough   of the root ball. Those tress are most likely going to die and the are spending a lot of extra dollars for nothing. They will have to put tons of water on these trees everyday even if the survive the transplant.

Stupidity on the mayors part trying to win an election because something stupid like this is an issue instead of youth violence in the city and we have 65000 people sign a petition and they dont get upset when a 12,13, 14 & 15 year old kill someone. 

Sorry guys, I did not mean to editorialize but it just happened. This is a big waste of taxpayer dollars over ten trees that are most likely going to die

Apparently Public Works didn't get the memo about transplanting the trees and brought their chainsaws instead. 

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, smeagolsfree said:

Isn't the NFL footing the bill?

This was big news over the weekend and the news stations are covering what the people are angry about. People are angry about this because they can control something like this with their outrage. The crime rates are harder for the petitions and “angry mob” to control because of beauraceatic BS. This is another example of the city not being open about the deals they are making. I am all for the city going for things such as the NFL Draft, it’s huge for the city, but once these deals are finalized they need to be VERY accessible to the public.

i congratulate the angry mob for reducing the amount of trees from 21 to 10, but I also agree with the stance of these are fairly easy to replace. The question that hasn’t been answered is why the hell these need to be removed at all?? The stage is at the end of broadway and the trees aren’t really interfering there. Does the NFL really demand so much space around the stage that they can’t work around these trees?? Sheer laziness on the NFL and their production team in my opinion. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

You have some pretty loaded accusations  in your post that seems more appropriate for the coffee house don't you think Ron. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BnaBreaker said:

And not only that, but based on that rendering it appears that Mayor Briley has agreed to allow the NFL to demolish any highrise built after 2008 as well! 

Is that a crane to the left of the Encore?