Jump to content

Nashville Bits and Pieces


smeagolsfree

Recommended Posts


33 minutes ago, thenorthchannel said:

Schedule for the first round was announced this morning.    A game 7 the day before the NFL Draft would be glorious FANDEMONIUM.

 

Nashville Predators (Central No. 1) vs. Dallas Stars (Wild card No. 1)

Game 1 (@NSH): Wednesday, April 10, 9:30 p.m. 
Game 2 (@NSH): Saturday, April 13, 6 p.m.
Game 3 (@DAL): Monday, April 15, 9:30 p.m.
Game 4 (@DAL): Wednesday, April 17, 8 p.m.
Game 5 (@NSH): Saturday, April 20
Game 6 (@DAL): Monday, April 22
Game 7 (@NSH): Wednesday, April 24

Kinda hoping we don't have to go to a game 7 in the first round...but you're right...would be epic!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, fishsticks176 said:

I was nodding along to most of her opinion item until I got to the line that read, "We all have the same secret fear: What if this town we love so much is just the next Atlanta?"

It went downhill quickly from there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Jamie Hall said:

I was nodding along to most of her opinion item until I got to the line that read, "We all have the same secret fear: What if this town we love so much is just the next Atlanta?"

It went downhill quickly from there.

As noted previously, the fact that coastal cosmopolitans love this town so much is rather ominous in itself. Why can't they just put their tourism money in an envelope and mail it here? Or Venmo, we can create a Nashville Venmo.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, PruneTracy said:

As noted previously, the fact that coastal cosmopolitans love this town so much is rather ominous in itself. Why can't they just put their tourism money in an envelope and mail it here? Or Venmo, we can create a Nashville Venmo.

I don't understand what is ominous about people loving our city? It's not like we are a pure tourism town that will die when the fad wears off. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Craiger said:

I don't understand what is ominous about people loving our city? It's not like we are a pure tourism town that will die when the fad wears off. 

Let's see, how do I put this without starting something. It's kind of like when you have a house, and you perhaps invite a certain significant other over for Netflix and chill. And that significant other loves your house so much they keep wanting to come back over, which is OK by you. But then after a little while they love it so much they want to move in, which may not be so bad, the more the merrier. But then they want to maybe move some furniture around, hang up some different curtains, nothing too crazy, nothing you can't move back, and maybe that's not the worst thing to happen, they're saying, because while your house is good, it still has some old stuff that's maybe out of fashion, and their old house, the one they just moved out of, well, it just had some things that were better. But then after a little while more you're pulling up carpet and knocking out walls to try to make this house look even more like the one your significant other moved out of, because your house, it's just so out-of-date, nothing like their old house, we're lucky it hasn't been condemned yet. And then you come home from work one day and you realize you don't recognize your house any more because all your significant other did was change your house to be just like the one they left, and if they said they loved your house so much, then why do they feel the need to change it to match the one they moved out of? Whose house is this anyway? Why didn't your significant other just stay in their own house and do what they want to it?

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites


I don't know, the op-ed (written by Nashville author, Margaret Renkl) pretty much nails it in terms of why there was a public backlash around the cherry trees.    It's essentially what I said on this board a few days ago, that the issue isn't really the trees.   The trees are a metaphor for the direction people feel the city's priorities are moving.      

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, PruneTracy said:

Let's see, how do I put this without starting something. It's kind of like when you have a house, and you perhaps invite a certain significant other over for Netflix and chill. And that significant other loves your house so much they keep wanting to come back over, which is OK by you. But then after a little while they love it so much they want to move in, which may not be so bad, the more the merrier. But then they want to maybe move some furniture around, hang up some different curtains, nothing too crazy, nothing you can't move back, and maybe that's not the worst thing to happen, they're saying, because while your house is good, it still has some old stuff that's maybe out of fashion, and their old house, the one they just moved out of, well, it just had some things that were better. But then after a little while more you're pulling up carpet and knocking out walls to try to make this house look even more like the one your significant other moved out of, because your house, it's just so out-of-date, nothing like their old house, we're lucky it hasn't been condemned yet. And then you come home from work one day and you realize you don't recognize your house any more because all your significant other did was change your house to be just like the one they left, and if they said they loved your house so much, then why do they feel the need to change it to match the one they moved out of? Whose house is this anyway? Why didn't your significant other just stay in their own house and do what they want to it?

Whose house is this anyway?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, markhollin said:

To quote Neil Peart: "Constant change is here to stay."  I find it interesting that some folks I know that moved here 8 years ago are complaining about how much Nashville is being changed by "outsiders." The other night, someone who has lived here for 30 years, just like me, was opining the same thing. But they moved here from Philly, and I moved here from Chicago.  And I can guarantee that there were locals at that time complaining about US moving in. Heck, let's go all the way back to the Chickasaw and Cherokee Nations that lived in the area in the late 1800s to get their opinions on the pioneers.  

I've heard it said that to be a Southerner, your family must have lived in the South for 3-4 generations.  That sort of makes sense.  Generation 1 moves here, perhaps with children (Generation 2) who go to school here.  Generation 3 is born here 30 to 40 years after Gen 1 arrived.  Gen 3 is Southern.  Of course, this applies to moving anywhere, whether across state lines or across the world.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


40 minutes ago, Mr_Bond said:

I've heard it said that to be a Southerner, your family must have lived in the South for 3-4 generations.  That sort of makes sense.  Generation 1 moves here, perhaps with children (Generation 2) who go to school here.  Generation 3 is born here 30 to 40 years after Gen 1 arrived.  Gen 3 is Southern.  Of course, this applies to moving anywhere, whether across state lines or across the world.

I'm going to guess this saying is a bit older and actually has it's roots in the Civil War. If your family wasn't here 3-4 generations ago, then you weren't here during the war. If you weren't here during the war, then you were and will always be a yankee carpet bagger. 

Edited by Craiger
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My default response to people saying they want the "old" Nashville is "Today, would you rather live in Nashville or Memphis?"  Not to pile on Memphis (we spent some time in Memphis in January for a Grizzlies game - there is so much potential in their DT), but that usually nips any complaining in the bud.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Craiger said:

I'm going to guess this saying is a bit older and actually has it's roots in the Civil War. If your family wasn't here 3-4 generations ago, then you weren't here during the war. If you weren't here during the war, then you were and will always be a yankee carpet bagger. 

I am attempting to connect it to any major move by a person or family who wants to establish residence and roots in a new place.  Consider the language difficulties encountered by an immigrant (Gen 1).  If their children (Gen 2) are older than ten, they will also have some difficulties speaking the local language like a native.  But after two generations of living in the country/region, Gen 3 will grow up speaking the new language as their primary one.  After Gen 1 has passed, the family may stop speaking the language of their homeland.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Mr_Bond said:

Let the party continue!  The variety of vehicles has become part of Music City's brand.  They should be protected, meaning the government should leave them alone.

...until one of them tips over and folks are killed, or a drunken rider falls off and is crushed under the wheels, or, or or.... 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Bos2Nash locked and unlocked this topic
  • Bos2Nash locked and unlocked this topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.