Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

7 hours ago, titanhog said:

The footage I'm seeing is making me cry.  Plus...there are priceless works of art inside of the cathedral.  I hope they can at least save enough of the structure to renovate...but it's not looking good.

12307640-6925015-image-m-14_1555349367026.jpg

I've been crying all afternoon.  Ironically, I was with friends this evening who are coming with me to France next month.  It'll be their first trip.  Anyone who has ever been inside Notre-Dame leaves a changed person.  Even non-Catholics like me feel moved by the exquisite beauty of the building and the faith of those who built it.

7 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

It is a tragic loss for the world. Hopefully they can restore as much as possible but who knows how much art has been lost inside the building that will never be replaced. I am not a real lover of art but I know treasures when I see them and I really hate it for France.

Fortunately, many of the major pieces of art were removed before the renovations started, and today they had time to remove a lot more since the fire started way up on the roof.  I'm confident the rest of the building will be rebuilt.  But since it took 13,000 trees to build the inside of the magnificent cathedral, it's doubtful that the inside will ever look the same.  I haven't heard anything about the stained glass windows, but I would be shocked if they weren't damaged or even completely destroyed from the intense heat.

• Like 2

from the interior pictures that I have seen it actually looks like an example of "they don't build them like they used to"  

much of the stone ceiling actually held firm. the burning roof just fell onto the stone vaults.   there is a ton of damage obviously, but from the pictures I saw, the ceiling only collapsed in a few places.  there will have to be tons of work to shore it up and check the stability of the stone and mortar. but  this could have been much much worse. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Baronakim said:

If any of y'all have not heard,  all of the wooden components of the  interior of the nave and transepts were completely destroyed,  However, the masonry walls and arches survived largely due to the fact that there were few modern materials at the roof level.  Wood does not burn as hot as petroleum based components.  As an architect, I suspect the flying buttresses kept the walls standing.  Of course, the masonry would resist the heat rather well.  All of the wood screens and such would have burned off rather quickly.  Hopefully, the stone vaulted interior ceilings  kept the main fire and heat from melting the lead glazing channels which hold the stained glass pieces from melting.   As the temperatures at which the stained glass was manufactured  is extremely high, hopefully the glass would survive  should the lead melt.  If the windows collapsed, the glass could probably be reinstalled in new leading, especially since the window patterns are so thoroughly computer documented.  Any surviving pieces could be identified and put back in the correct position.  I know this from experience with rebuilding elaborate antique stained glass church windows blown apart in a gas explosion in Auburn, Alabama about 25 years ago.    More good news at Notre Dame is that the magnificent organ (which I assume was in the square towers) has survived with little damage.  As mentioned in earlier reports, a great deal of the interior treasures were removed and saved.  As to rebuilding, I suspect that no structure of the roof will be replaced in wood as the size and number of trees just is impossible to replace.  No one is going to cut down a 200 to  300 year forest to replace wood roof structure that cannot be seen,  No, they will use steel and fireproof decking to replace it exactly as the cathedral construction at the La Sagrada Familia in Barcelona is being built.  Likewise, the hidden parts of Notre Dame, would likely be rebuilt  in such a manner as to speed the rebuilding.   It is unlikely that antique construction techniques will be used except where visible.   With the experience of rebuilding ancient cathedrals damaged from the First and Second World wars and with computer documentation and analysis, I would expect the rebuilding to take 5 years or so AND every stone would be inspected and cleaned so that the cathedral will again be of white (or cream) stone upon rebuilding.  Money, I do not think, will be a problem considering the combined resources of the nation of France, the Vatican and millions of generous donors around the world.

If any of y'all have never viewed the computer animation of the proposed completion of La Sagrada Familia Cathedral by 2026, you will not believe it!  Absolutely awesome!   

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2440014/How-Gaudis...

I am sure that after you view it, you will believe that Notre Dame will be restored to us in jig time.

Actually, the vaulting was laid without mortar and the entire  vault held together by gravity if I recall medieval construction techniques.  Rather like the stones of the pyramids.

P.S.  It does look like the vaulting saved much of the interior.  If the spire had not knocked a large hole in falling, I suspect the interior would have survived mostly intact, albeit burned.   It is confirmed that the most important religious treasures were saved as the fire was confined to above the vaulting for a sufficient length of time to rescue them.  That which fell through the spire breach burned on the floor and flames inside the nave probably were not tall enough to reach and melt the window leading.  We are hopeful.  At least the structural integrity of the walls and columns do not seem to have been in danger.    From the video this morning, even the steel scaffolding outside remains standing which indicates the wood fire was not hot enough to deform the scaffold frames (which has no fireproofing).

Thank you so much for that detailed explanation.  I've been an emotional boob since yesterday afternoon, so I appreciate your clarity.

One thing's for sure:  the French know how to do historic renovations.  And since Notre-Dame is so beloved by so many around the world, I imagine many of the world's best craftsmen will eagerly contribute their skills to restore Notre-Dame.  While many visitors are dazzled by Notre-Dame's grandeur (and rightfully so), I've always been moved by the little things:  the lovingly carved stone, the intricate woodwork, the tiny shards of colored glass cut with precision to fit even the tiniest windows.  I imagine those medieval artists spending their entire lives for a building that wouldn't be finished in their lifetime but that would be enjoyed by millions and millions of pilgrims and visitors for centuries.

And there are pictures like this that give us hope that the restoration won't be so impossible after all:

Aucune description de photo disponible.

Lâimage contient peut-être : 1 personne

Lâimage contient peut-être : une personne ou plus et nuit

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

1st Quarter office market reports are coming out.  some good information in these about the health of the Nashville office market.

https://www.us.jll.com/en/trends-and-insights/research/nashville-office-insight-q1-2019

and according  to Avison Young the biggest lease signed last quarter was the renewal of AT&T of 132,000 sq ft in their downtown tower.

https://www.avisonyoung.us/web/nashville/research

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, jmtunafish said:

Thank you so much for that detailed explanation.  I've been an emotional boob since yesterday afternoon, so I appreciate your clarity.

One thing's for sure:  the French know how to do historic renovations.  And since Notre-Dame is so beloved by so many around the world, I imagine many of the world's best craftsmen will eagerly contribute their skills to restore Notre-Dame.  While many visitors are dazzled by Notre-Dame's grandeur (and rightfully so), I've always been moved by the little things:  the lovingly carved stone, the intricate woodwork, the tiny shards of colored glass cut with precision to fit even the tiniest windows.  I imagine those medieval artists spending their entire lives for a building that wouldn't be finished in their lifetime but that would be enjoyed by millions and millions of pilgrims and visitors for centuries.

And there are pictures like this that give us hope that the restoration won't be so impossible after all:

Aucune description de photo disponible.

Lâimage contient peut-être : 1 personne

Lâimage contient peut-être : une personne ou plus et nuit

Regrettably, the stained glass of the chancellery apse does not appear to have survived, though the stone framework of the tracery is intact.  The main front rose window looks intact. from the photo or is what I see the window at the end of the cross aisle arms?   At least the stained glass is some of the best documented in the world and can be rebuilt.  Also fortunate is that the glass is unlike that at Chartes which has aged over centuries to the magical blue of today.

Edited by Baronakim
Correcting information
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, fishsticks176 said:

In response to the Guardian article, here is a WSJ opinion piece entitled The Secret of Nashville’s Success: 

https://www.wsj.com/amp/articles/secrets-of-nashvilles-success-11555452849

Would you be able to give a summary of the article for those of us without access beyond the WSJ paywall?  Thanks   : )

• Like 1

14 hours ago, titanhog said:

NFL Draft - Titans  / Nashville video promo

https://youtu.be/Rkj34GAKzXg

By the way...isn't is pronounced "Duh-Mun-Bree-Un"...and not "Duh-Mum-Bree-Un"?

Really leaned into the country music aspect of the city didn't they?

Nice that they showed a few other places than Broadway though. 

14 hours ago, titanhog said:

NFL Draft - Titans  / Nashville video promo

https://youtu.be/Rkj34GAKzXg

By the way...isn't is pronounced "Duh-Mun-Bree-Un"...and not "Duh-Mum-Bree-Un"?

I don't think they could've made a worse video.  Props for that.  Who were all those people in the video? 

• Like 1