Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

10 minutes ago, PHofKS said:

47632930021_f313ba8b65_z.jpg

Wow!!! Thanks!

Slight correction (maybe!)... the crane for Broadwest is visible in the photo, but I believe it's placed at the far eastern end of the construction site (the pit). If so, then that would approximate the eastern (shorter) tower in the photo. So the towers would be a bit left of where you have them; somewhat behind the Music City roundabout apartment tower (I forget its name). I have not seen the actual site... is that reasoning correct? 

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

Wow!!! Thanks!

Slight correction (maybe!)... the crane for Broadwest is visible in the photo, but I believe it's placed at the far eastern end of the construction site (the pit). If so, then that would approximate the eastern (shorter) tower in the photo. So the towers would be a bit left of where you have them; somewhat behind the Music City roundabout apartment tower (I forget its name). I have not seen the actual site... is that reasoning correct? 

You would be correct. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, PHofKS said:

47632930021_f313ba8b65_z.jpg

It's crazy that, from the South, the skyline looks massive and balanced.  But when coming from the North, it seems like everything west of the TN Tower is insignificant in size.  Just drove through from St Louis and the gulch buildings are hidden and west end looks tiny.  Weird optical illusion.  

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, PruneTracy said:

No, it's based on economic integration. The difference between Clarksville and Franklin/Murfreesboro in terms of being a separate MSA is that the latter two are highly dependent on Nashville from an economic perspective whereas Clarksville is not (due in large part to the presence of Fort Campbell). To use the common imagery around here, you can imagine that if Nashville didn't exist then Franklin and Murfreesboro (and to a lesser extent, Columbia) wouldn't be nearly the size they are today, while Clarksville would be less affected.

Consider also that the Clarksville MSA includes a lot of populous territory in Kentucky that is often overlooked down here. In tandem with Hopkinsville it's also a major economic center for Western Kentucky, perhaps more so than Paducah.

I do think there's a strong possibility that the economic integration of Clarksville and Nashville would have been much stronger if it weren't for the hilly terrain and zoning that Nashville has in place for the northwestern quadrant of Davidson County.  If the I-24 corridor northwest of downtown had the same level of allowed development as the southwest corridor of I-24 had then I think it would be very possible that Clarksville would have very strong ties.  Of course, this is something that would have had to developed over decades. 

I wouldn't surprised if Clarksville's MSA is moved into the Nashville CSA soon.  There is an increasing connectedness between the two areas driven largely by cost.  While it is anecdotal, I am involved in some rentals in Clarksville and a very high percentage of new rentals are being occupied by moderate income Nashville residents being forced out of Nashville because of costs (think teachers, nurses, restaurant workers, etc), and I suspect that will continue to occur in increasing numbers.  At what point that tips them over the edge to being an official CSA member, I don't know.  However, I have no doubt that the economic integration is increasing quickly. 

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, Hey_Hey said:

I do think there's a strong possibility that the economic integration of Clarksville and Nashville would have been much stronger if it weren't for the hilly terrain and zoning that Nashville has in place for the northwestern quadrant of Davidson County.  If the I-24 corridor northwest of downtown had the same level of allowed development as the southwest corridor of I-24 had then I think it would be very possible that Clarksville would have very strong ties.  Of course, this is something that would have had to developed over decades. 

I wouldn't surprised if Clarksville's MSA is moved into the Nashville CSA soon.  There is an increasing connectedness between the two areas driven largely by cost.  While it is anecdotal, I am involved in some rentals in Clarksville and a very high percentage of new rentals are being occupied by moderate income Nashville residents being forced out of Nashville because of costs (think teachers, nurses, restaurant workers, etc), and I suspect that will continue to occur in increasing numbers.  At what point that tips them over the edge to being an official CSA member, I don't know.  However, I have no doubt that the economic integration is increasing quickly. 

41 minutes ago, titanhog said:

^^That's what I was thinking, too.  If the hills weren't there, think about the suburban growth north towards Clarksville.  I think Nashville to Clarksville would be even more "urban" than what is happening from Nashville to Franklin and Murfreesboro.

That's a possibility, but remember also that it's based on the core population, not whether the MSAs are adjacent or present a contiguous urbanized area. You can have MSAs adjacent to each other with no clear dividing point in terms of developed area, in other words. An example in Tennessee is the Kingsport-Bristol MSA and Johnson City MSA. The point is that even if the area between Nashville and Clarksville were more urbanized that doesn't necessarily mean there would be more interaction between them from an economic standpoint (although there would undoubtedly be more commuters between the MSAs). The Clarksville urban core and the Nashville urban core would still exist as they are.

• Like 1

One-third of the 38,000 tech job openings in Middle Tennessee are part of the health care industry, according to a Nashville Tech Council report.

More at the Nashville Post here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/health-care/information-technology/article/21065090/middle-tennessee-tech-industry-driven-by-health-care

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OnePointEast said:

Will Nashville ever be within the top 20 MSAs in our lifetime?

The Nashville MSA is ranked #36 with a 2017 population of 2,027,489.  The growth rate from 2010 is 13.37%.  I projected the seven year growth rate forward to the year 2045 for all of the top 36 MSAs.  Nashville ranked #29.  From 2010 to 2017 several other MSAs grew faster than Nashville so this method of projection shows us losing ground to them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_primary_statistical_areas_of_the_United_States

The answer to your question will become more clear after the next recession when we have more recent data on population movements in both expansionary and recessionary economic climates.

BTW, using my projection method from 2017 to 2045, we outgrew these MSAs: Milwaukee, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, St. Lous, Kansas City, Indianapolis and Columbus.  And we would be only 20,000 away from passing Cleveland.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Mr_Bond said:

The Nashville MSA is ranked #36 with a 2017 population of 2,027,489.  The growth rate from 2010 is 13.37%.  I projected the seven year growth rate forward to the year 2045 for all of the top 36 MSAs.  Nashville ranked #29.  From 2010 to 2017 several other MSAs grew faster than Nashville so this method of projection shows us losing ground to them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_primary_statistical_areas_of_the_United_States

The answer to your question will become more clear after the next recession when we have more recent data on population movements in both expansionary and recessionary economic climates.

BTW, using my projection method from 2017 to 2045, we outgrew these MSAs: Milwaukee, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, St. Lous, Kansas City, Indianapolis and Columbus.  And we would be only 20,000 away from passing Cleveland.

Just FYI, I believe you are using figures for the Nashville CSA instead of the MSA. From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_metropolitan_statistical_areas our MSA pop for 2018 is 1,930,961 with an 8-year growth rate of 15.56%.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, trillhaslam said:

Just FYI, I believe you are using figures for the Nashville CSA instead of the MSA. From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_metropolitan_statistical_areas our MSA pop for 2018 is 1,930,961 with an 8-year growth rate of 15.56%.

Thanks.  Looks like I'll have to adjust my spreadsheet this evening.  I'll be back...

• Like 3

5 hours ago, OnePointEast said:

Will Nashville ever be within the top 20 MSAs in our lifetime?

I couldn't see that happening. Something so disastrous would have to occur that would create a huge influx of people migrating inland from the coasts. Because so many Americans have an affinity for living near coastal areas, I don't think Nashville will crack the top 20 during the current century.

I do think we will surpass many of the Midwestern and Rust Belt metros in the 21st century. I expect we will exceed the Ohio cities, Indy, Pittsburgh, KC, and STL by 2060. Again, unless there is some significant change in Americans' living preferences that makes non-Sun Belt or inland areas popular to move to, I don't see how those cities can keep pace with our growth.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jmtunafish said:

The 2018 population estimates from the Census Bureau are out.  Not surprisingly, Middle Tennessee is propping up the state.  From 2017 Tennessee's population grew by 61,216.  Here's how the state performed:

metro area...2018 population...1-year growth

• Chattanooga...560,793...4,712
  • Clarksville...292,264...6,573
  • Cleveland...123,625...1,543
  • Jackson...129,209...23
  • Johnson City...202,719...875
  • Kingsport...306,616...363
  • Knoxville...883,309...7,512
  • Memphis...1,350,620...3,044
  • Morristown...118,581...738
  • Nashville...1,930,961...30,377

micro area...2018 population...1-year growth

• Athens...53,285...390
  • Brownsville...17,335...-261
  • Cookeville...112,669...1,636
  • Crossville...59,673...668
  • Dyersburg...37,320...-83
  • Greeneville...69,087...328
  • Lawrenceburg...43,734...407
  • Lewisburg...33,683...749
  • Martin...33,415...119
  • McMinnville...40,878...188
  • Newport...35,774...293
  • Paris...32,358...-62
  • Shelbyville...49,038...900
  • Tullahoma...104,001...1,118
  • Union City...36,387...-220

image.png.acca0c6773789f2e952d61f81346ae18.png

Middle Tennessee is growing at one of the fastest rates in the nation. It goes without saying that Nashville and its satellite cities are booming, and even the rural counties are cashing in on the Mid-State's growth.

East Tennessee is sustaining itself and doing well. Though not as quickly as Nashville, Knoxville and Chattanooga are growing nicely. Only those northern counties near Kentucky are lackluster.

What in the heck is going on in West Tennessee? That may as well be another state to me.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, nativetenn said:

I couldn't see that happening. Something so disastrous would have to occur that would create a huge influx of people migrating inland from the coasts. Because so many Americans have an affinity for living near coastal areas, I don't think Nashville will crack the top 20 during the current century.

5-10-20 more years of devastating hurricanes on the coasts every year and people will be sick of evacuating and going home to rebuild. Especially when the insurance/government money stops flowing because it’s not sustainable anymore. 

#darryldowner 

• Like 3

On 4/16/2019 at 6:21 PM, fishsticks176 said:

It cited the absence of state income tax, low property tax, no state or city minimum wage in excess of the federally minimum, right-to-work, and a general lack of excess government regulation of business.

I’d be more thorough but I don’t have a subscription either and apparently I’ve now exceeded my free viewership for the month after the initial reading :-p

As far as I know Hohenwald, Lake county,  Perry County doesn't have a state income tax, high property tax, state or city minimum wage or "excess regulation" but somehow I don't  see the same rate of development as in Nashville.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Neigeville2 said:

As far as I know Hohenwald, Lake county,  Perry County doesn't have a state income tax, high property tax, state or city minimum wage or "excess regulation" but somehow I don't  see the same rate of development as in Nashville.

Those places: no job growth

Nashville: job growth