Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

5 hours ago, PaulChinetti said:

Why do you think it backfired @ruraljuror ? 

The tornado sirens is a good low-hanging fruit project that should have been done long ago.

I'm all for the tornado siren upgrade, but that seems to be one of few instances where the point system worked as planned.  

As far as I can tell, the idea was to have the council members distribute their 100 points among various project ideas (weighted in terms of their prioritization) as a means of determining the project prioritization of the council as a whole, but this seems to be of little informative value when there are no dollar figures attached to the points relative to the cost of each project, there's no limit the number of projects that points can be distributed among, and council members are effectively incentivized to distribute all (or nearly all) of their points to a personal pet project as opposed to the projects most beneficial to or needed by the city.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ruraljuror said:

I'm all for the tornado siren upgrade, but that seems to be one of few instances where the point system worked as planned.  

As far as I can tell, the idea was to have the council members distribute their 100 points among various project ideas (weighted in terms of their prioritization) as a means of determining the project prioritization of the council as a whole, but this seems to be of little informative value when there are no dollar figures attached to the points relative to the cost of each project, there's no limit the number of projects that points can be distributed among, and council members are effectively incentivized to distribute all (or nearly all) of their points to a personal pet project as opposed to the projects most beneficial to or needed by the city.

This doesn't really add anything to your conversation, but have you guys heard Chicago's tornado sirens?  They're scarier than the tornadoes!  I don't think I'll ever get used to them... very unsettling... but I guess that's the point... you definitely notice them!

• Like 2
  • Confused 5

50 minutes ago, CityHeart said:

Vanderbilt poll: More locals think Nashville is growing too fast . . .

I actually got a call for this poll after work about 3 weeks ago. I wish they would release the results from ALL the questions they asked. For instance, when asked this question, I was told to rate it 5. Disagree 4. Somewhat Disagree 3. Neutral 2. Somewhat Agree 1. Agree 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, PaulChinetti said:

What in the holy hell. That gave me chills.

WHHHHHHHYYYYY? 

I've been told it sounds like that because the varied tone bounces off of buildings better... or something... but I agree, it's freakin' horrifying... sounds like the zombie apocalypse or something.  Lol

• Like 3

On 4/30/2019 at 9:52 AM, PaulChinetti said:

Why do you think it backfired @ruraljuror ? 

The tornado sirens is a good low-hanging fruit project that should have been done long ago.

The system just needs the software update to the system that incorporates the polygon-warning system that the NWS has implemented since 2007. Oklahoma City recently broke their city up into zones for their siren system because it's such a massive city with municipal boundaries in 4 different counties and a max east-to-west width of over 55 miles. 

This is a necessary upgrade and more larger municipalities, such as Dallas, and a lot of counties, such as St. Louis County, MO, looking at investing in the technology as well. 

According to Councilpersons Colby Sledge and Burkley Allen - the Tennessean story is way exaggerated/inaccurate . The talk of adding parking meters in the neighborhoods was from a separate study. Colby said there would be multiple hoops to jump through and he'd never support adding meters in the neighborhoods. He was open to the concept privatizing the system. There are not enough resources to enforce the current parking rules/regs and something needs to be done.  I don't think there is much chance of meters in neighborhoods happening.

Edited by Nash_12South
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, GregH said:

I'm not crazy about the outsourcing aspect of it but I don't really see anything super objectionable. Parking is currently too cheap and extremely poorly enforced. The city has been leaving money on the table.

The problem is that charging for on-street parking in the first place (via meters) is intended to force turnover, not generate revenue. The point is not to make money from on-street parking, it is never going to be a significant revenue generator regardless of how or who is doing the collecting. We're talking about at most a tenth of a percent of Metro's budget. The point is to keep people from figuratively and literally camping out on the street by taking up spots for days/weeks at a time. You can argue that privatizing enforcement is going to further this goal, and it does, but ultimately it's hassling Metro citizens to send millions of dollars to a company that's not even based in this state.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PruneTracy said:

The problem is that charging for on-street parking in the first place (via meters) is intended to force turnover, not generate revenue. The point is not to make money from on-street parking, it is never going to be a significant revenue generator regardless of how or who is doing the collecting. We're talking about at most a tenth of a percent of Metro's budget. The point is to keep people from figuratively and literally camping out on the street by taking up spots for days/weeks at a time. You can argue that privatizing enforcement is going to further this goal, and it does, but ultimately it's hassling Metro citizens to send millions of dollars to a company that's not even based in this state.

I guess I don't consider enforcing parking rules to be an undue hassle. IIRC Metro traffic and parking would still control rate and enforcement policy. I bike through midtown every day and it's probably at 120% capacity of legal spots, all the time. That's not because there's tons of businesses that people are coming in and out of, it's Vandy, HCA, and St. Thomas employees making the (usually correct) gamble that they'll pay less in tickets a month than whatever their employer charges them to park (I don't know if HCA charges but the street in front of their offices is always full). 

• Like 1

Not super significant, but saw this construction going on across 10th Ave from Cummins. A gentleman from the site was telling me it will be a wayfinding sign that will have wireless improvements built into. It's an AT&T project according to the gentleman so those of us who work in Cummins and have AT&T (yayy me) should see some form of improvement I guess.IMG_1354.thumb.jpeg.eb43837aba5626f69555d9a9ac911050.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, nativetenn said:

If this was said about citydata, I might believe it, but SSP or SSC? Color me shocked; I would like the link to this.

He might be referring to this thread. 

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=238659

There was another thread recently attempting to negatively highlight the quality of infill development in Nashville's surrounding neighborhoods and of course some of the urban elitists from the more established cities turned it into a flame session to scoff at "sun belt sprawl" and "poor quality development" etc.  not long ago but was closed.

Lots of misconceptions about Nashville from some posters there. I've attempted to enlighten a few on what's happening here but ignorance seems to exist from a small few.

One guy even went as far as saying "Nashville's population wasn't sophisticated enough due to IKEA pulling out their store" lol.

Edited by jkc2j
  • Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, jkc2j said:

He might be referring to this thread. 

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=238659

Oh, something like that. I was expecting in-state people as well as some Nashville residents voicing their frustrations.

What I see in that thread are quintessential coast-dwelling elitists posting their typical ill-informed stereotypes about a city in middle America. I couldn't care less whether those people like Nashville or not. They'll be moving down to the scary old South soon enough to evade high taxes.

I do think we Nashvillians speak of ourselves a bit too highly at times on UP, and sometimes, it's hard to be critical about Nashville on here, even when it's warranted. But in the same breath, all I saw in that thread were lame stereotypes from NYC residents who "don't get the appeal" of Nashville. Many of these East Coast and So Cal yuppies can't fathom living in a *gasp* RED STATE, so it makes sense they would believe every single one of us is a NASCAR watching, bible beating, dip spitting, Bud Light drinking redneck.

I don't mind if those stereotypes keep them away from here. Like I said, these very same people will be packing their bags for the Sun Belt in ten years.

P.S. And LOL at the idiot in that thread who said Nashville has a "northern climate"

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, nativetenn said:

Oh, something like that. I was expecting in-state people as well as some Nashville residents voicing their frustrations.

What I see in that thread are quintessential coast-dwelling elitists posting their typical ill-informed stereotypes about a city in middle America. I couldn't care less whether those people like Nashville or not. They'll be moving down to the scary old South soon enough to evade high taxes.

I do think we Nashvillians speak of ourselves a bit too highly at times on UP, and sometimes, it's hard to be critical about Nashville on here, even when it's warranted. But in the same breath, all I saw in that thread were lame stereotypes from NYC residents who "don't get the appeal" of Nashville. Many of these East Coast and So Cal yuppies can't fathom living in a *gasp* RED STATE, so it makes sense they would believe every single one of us is a NASCAR watching, bible beating, dip spitting, Bud Light drinking redneck.

I don't mind if those stereotypes keep them away from here. Like I said, these very same people will be packing their bags for the Sun Belt in ten years.

P.S. And LOL at the idiot in that thread who said Nashville has a "northern climate"

True. A lot of us natives tend to boost Nashville quite a bit(there's some serious mega boosters on citydata lol)  but I've rarely seen anyone become too overzealous to the point of being unrealistic. A lot of the posts I've seen lately on SSP especially are down right idiotic.

There were a few posters from Austin that insisted Nashville is in a lower tier than their city irregardless of any similarities, though their growing faster, current population and GDP states otherwise. 

Sure, Nashville has its issues and there's nothing wrong with constructive criticism but a lot of the comments I've read come off as mean spirited.

My perspective is that Nashville has been getting a lot of attention these past few years(warranted or not) and I sense a lot of it possibly is envy or a why Nashville and not us? Type thing. 

Edited by jkc2j
  • Like 3