Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

Silly question...maybe...but I'm wondering.  What do you guys consider "tech" jobs or careers?  We talk about it all the time...and people list certain cities / universities with higher numbers of "tech" people...but is this an objective assertion?  Or is "tech" somewhat flexible in definition?

Like me.  I'm a songwriter, which is purely creative...though I use a computer to write my lyrics and I sometimes record my music in Pro Tools or Logic Pro X...but for the past 2 years I've been creating lyric videos for clients all over the world...and so I'm on a computer all day long, using Final Cut Pro X...and someone mentioned to me, "oh...you have a tech job."  My first thought was..."no I don't."  But then again...I started thinking...I have no idea what all "tech" means in today's world.  To me...I'm just in a totally creative, right-brain music career...but I now use a lot of "tech" to do my job.

Anyway...just wondering what you guys think "tech jobs" means...and is it an objective or subjective term?

• Like 3

A pretty wide banner indeed that covers the whole gamut from mastery of applications in creating products (like you) to developing the hardware and software that makes the machines work. I think it's a blanket most of the time, but is narrowed down when used in reference to a specific company. I think Nashville has probably done well in the former, and may lag in the latter. Amazon will be a huge magnet for people with skills in those areas. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

A pretty wide banner indeed that covers the whole gamut from mastery of applications in creating products (like you) to developing the hardware and software that makes the machines work. I think it's a blanket most of the time, but is narrowed down when used in reference to a specific company. I think Nashville has probably done well in the former, and may lag in the latter. Amazon will be a huge magnet for people with skills in those areas. 

Yeah...I've always kinda thought as "tech" as just people who program...write code...and other jobs similar...but reading stuff through Google searching...it almost seems like an endless stream of opinions on what all it encompasses.

A one-night Davidson County homelessness count found 14 percent fewer people living on the streets and in shelters than during last year's survey. 

Temperatures dropped below freezing during the Davidson County "point-in-time count," which took place on the night of January 22 and into the following morning. The results were just released recently. 

Volunteers and shelter officials identified 1,401 people in shelters and 585 on the streets. Notably, the number of chronically homeless people — who are unhoused for long periods of time — contacted during the event was down 27 percent over last year. 

More at The Tennessean here:

https://www.tennessean.com/story/money/2019/05/12/nashville-homeless-population-davidson-county-survey/1156688001/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

E-Spaces co-working space brand announces expansion around the city in these locations:

• The top floor of the Green Hills office building at 10 Burton Hills Blvd. Wilt also will open one of his Three Brothers Coffee shops in the building, which is the soon-to-be-former headquarters of prison operator CoreCivic Inc.
  • Part of the building at 1701 West End Ave., formerly home to a Metropolitan Bank branch and near the point where West End and Broadway merge. "We'll be catering to the eight hotels surrounding that [location], and the business traveler who can pay a weekly fee to use us as opposed to being in a hotel's business center," Wilt said.
  • Almost 30,000 square feet of space in The Nations, as part of developer Nathan Lyons' expansion of his Stocking 51 development on Centennial Boulevard. (We've reported that Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams is among the other tenants of that particular project.)
  • All of a 20,000-square-foot office building in Goodlettsville, near the headquarters of Dollar General Corp. and Loden Vision Centers.

More behind the NBJ paywall here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2019/05/16/co-working-brand-lands-in-three-prime-spots-and.html?ana=twt

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rockatansky said:

Meanwhile there were 242 fatal automobile crashes regionally in 2017, most of which received significantly less media coverage.

Out of around a million registered vehicles plus who knows how many more million passing through, that seems a lot safer than those scooters.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, titanhog said:

You mean, "Scooter user who rode illegally on sidewalk and then turned onto the road without looking for oncoming traffic dies."  I promise I'm very sorry for his death.  This was nonetheless completely preventable and will merely add fodder to those out there who are opposed to the proliferation of scooters in Nashville.

Edited by jmtunafish

From a Tennessean article about the scooter rider who died from his injuries: “A Monday news release from Metro Police stated that a bicycle lane was available on Demonbreun Street and reminded the public that scooter riders are required by law not to ride on sidewalks within a business district. 

14 minutes ago, donNdonelson2 said:

It’s illegal to ride the scooters on the sidewalks (also bicycles). Sidewalks are for pedestrians! (In downtown)

Just telling you what the apps say. 

Considering Nashville's haphazard placement of sidewalks and bike lanes I'm surprise more pedestrian injuries and deaths DON'T happen.

The citizens and tourists of this city want more ways to get around that aren't driving and the city seems dead set on not making it safer and easier to do. Just wish we knew why.

• Like 3

The scooters would be great if even a small percentage of riders followed the rules. Like - off sidewalks in business areas. Wear helmets. No kids. Pay attention... We already have to deal with slow peddle taverns, slow golf carts, always stopping tour buses. Adding another element to the street is pure annoyance. Older cities with narrow streets aren't a conducive as new cities with wider streets. I drive thru the gulch every day and see scooters weaving around the cars often. In the Gulch, I watched as a turning car started going as the last pedestrian walked across an intersection only to have a scooter shoot out of nearly nowhere (on the sidewalk) and nearly get hit. 

Edited by Nash_12South
  • Like 1