Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

I have seen a number of scooter accidents not involving cars and frankly some of these people are just stupid for not wearing helmets. You hit a rock with the wheel on your scooter, you fall down. You hit a big crack in the sidewalk, which you are not suppoed to be on , the scooter will through you like a bronking buck, head first or face first into the ground. At some point reguardless of the waivers you agree to, there will be enough people hurt, that some smart lawyer will figure out a way to sue the hell out of these guys and put them out of business. Just a matter of time.

• Like 1

I've got two main 'get off my lawn' old man gripes about scooter.  Neither are original thoughts.

1) Get off the sidewalk.  Bikes aren't on the sidewalk. Why are people riding the scooters on the sidewalk? It's not my fault if I suddenly veer left/right which almost makes me ram into you or vice versa. Scooters are going at a much higher speed than what a typical sidewalk walker is typically guarding against.

2) Scooters littering the sidewalk and impeding foot traffic is highly annoying.

So basically if some level of enforcement dictates that scooters will stay off the sidewalk, and if the city would require some type of docking (kind of like a bike rack for scooters) then the 2 main problems I have with this fad (?) would likely be solved.

Edited by glamdring269
  • Like 3

Metro will not enforce it just like they dont enforce speeding, trail bikes and four wheelers on city streets, jay walking, or any of the hundreds of other laws that are basically broken in front of Metro police every day. If the powers that be tell Metro not to enforce, then they dont enforce or selectively enforce. Just like the THP does not enforce the HOV lanes.

Even when Metro does pass a selective law, the State legislature steps in and says woe, wait a minute, we dont want you doing that. Hypocrisy on the highest level as they balk when the Feds do it to them. Examples are the Air B&B and mandating affordable housing. 

Metro is afraid of making a bad impression on the tourist. 

2 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

Metro will not enforce it just like they dont enforce speeding, trail bikes and four wheelers on city streets, jay walking, or any of the hundreds of other laws that are basically broken in front of Metro police every day. If the powers that be tell Metro not to enforce, then they dont enforce or selectively enforce. Just like the THP does not enforce the HOV lanes.

Even when Metro does pass a selective law, the State legislature steps in and says woe, wait a minute, we dont want you doing that. Hypocrisy on the highest level as they balk when the Feds do it to them. Examples are the Air B&B and mandating affordable housing. 

Metro is afraid of making a bad impression on the tourist. 

I fully agree with this and would rather those things just disappear overnight if enforcement isn't going to happen.

23 hours ago, titanhog said:

I personally think electric scooters are amazing transportation...but there are some issues that we all are aware of,  but it seems some want to overlook those issues because they love the obvious advantages of having this easy-accessible mode of transportation available.  Some of the issues I can think of off the top of my head:

1.  I bet a majority of the people using these have no real prior experience operating an electric scooter (until they've used one of these).  Many of the people riding them really shouldn't be riding them without practicing in a parking lot or something.  It's like placing a 4 year old who has never ridden a bike...onto a bike with no training wheels and pushing them out into a busy street.

2.  We all know that riding a bike without a helmet can be dangerous...and I would venture to guess that falling from a fast moving electric scooter is at least equally as dangerous as a bike.  BUT...helmets are not mandatory.

3. The fact that there are no true "parking spaces" for these means you are always going to have them sitting in places they shouldn't be sitting.  

4. Very few dedicated lanes for scooters...thus, they are being ridden in places that are either dangerous to riders...or dangerous to pedestrians.  At least automobiles are driving in dedicated automobile lanes.  When it's scooter vs. automobile...we know who is going to win.

5. Very little ticketing of people using these illegally....thus creating acceptance of "wild west rules."

Well said, T-Hog.

I once owned a scooter such as these (though it had a seat) when I lived in East Nashville. I always road with a helmet.

If the riders would be courteous and if there were dedicated places for scooter storage (so that they do litter the city) ... I would be fine with the scooters. But that's never going to happen. It's a mess.

WW

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, nashwatcher said:

Why can’t they make dedicated bike/scooter lanes with slanted parking areas in the lanes?

This form of transportation has so much potential to help with car congestion downtown it seems silly to just throw the idea out because it’s currently not functioning optimally. Makes changes to the lanes. Encourage intelligent usage of this form of transportation.

There are already a number of bike lanes that may or may not get used by the scooters, but our streets downtown are just too narrow to have parking, traffic, and dedicated bike/scooter lanes. Besides, convincing these scooter riders they are bicycles would be an uphill battle as many that ride these scooters are cluless idiot's that will decide to ride them where they want to. Many of our sidewalks are also narrow which also is the wrong place to put these things, much less ride them. For instance Walking across Demonbreun street bridge is one of those streets that the sidewalks are narrow that walkers have to step off the walk into the street somerimes just to pass and then I have seen some stupid scooter person saying excuse me, excuse me riding on the sidewalk.

Folks this is not going to change! These people do not read the agreement and just plug the credit card in. This is beyond the control of the scooter companies because it will be cost prohibitive for them to do so.

9 minutes ago, PaulChinetti said:

Have all you violently anti-scooter people ever been on one???

I converted an anti-person this weekend.  

Not going to get on one.  I would rather walk because I want and need the exercise. If I want an alternative, I will bring my bike or rent one, but in downtown traffic you really have to be totally stupid to get on one. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

Not going to get on one.  I would rather walk because I want and need the exercise. If I want an alternative, I will bring my bike or rent one, but in downtown traffic you really have to be totally stupid to get on one. 

I've ridden them downtown a couple times--shouldn't be any dumber than riding a bike downtown. Except that time I rode it on a cobblestone stretch. That was dumb

• Haha 2

Don’t knock it till you try it. Don’t ride downtown, that’s just scary.

Pick your favorite neighborhood with one and cruise around at sunset. It’s quite enjoyable. I quite enjoy coming home from an afternoon Titans game and just cruising around. 

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, PaulChinetti said:

Don’t knock it till you try it. Don’t ride downtown, that’s just scary.

Pick your favorite neighborhood with one and cruise around at sunset. It’s quite enjoyable. I quite enjoy coming home from an afternoon Titans game and just cruising around. 

Likely more of the intended use.  Drunkenly gallivanting around downtown via sidewalk (or street) is not.

To be fair I do think they look useful within the correct parameters though I do agree with Smeagol in that I prefer the exercise I get from using my feet.

1 hour ago, jmtunafish said:

Tennessee's 30 largest cities in 2018

city...2018 pop...1-yr change

1. Nashville...669,053...3,657
  2. Memphis...650,618...-944
  3. Knoxville...187,500...527
  4. Chattanooga...180,557...1,660
  5. Clarksville...156,794...3,740
  6. Murfreesboro...141,344...5,241
  7. Franklin...80,914...2,734
  8. Jackson...66,903...122
  9. Johnson City...66,778...585
  10. Bartlett...59,315...265
  11. Hendersonville...57,576...35
  12. Kingsport...54,076...561
  13. Smyrna...50,775...859
  14. Collierville...50,616...385
  15. Cleveland...44,974...593
  16. Brentwood...42,502...-91
  17. Spring Hill...41,464...1,849
  18. Gallatin...40,457...3,103
  19. Columbia...39,376...1,084
  20. Germantown...39,099...-11
  21. La Vergne...35,819...151
  22. Mount Juliet...35,725...993
  23. Lebanon...35,050...2,769
  24. Cookeville...34,005...684
  25. Morristown...29,926...216
  26. Maryville...29,192...392
  27. Oak Ridge...29,109...26
  28. Bristol...26,881...47
  29. Farragut...22,956...296
  30. Shelbyville...21,864...315

Tennessee's 30 largest-gaining cities 2018

city...1-yr change...2018 population

1. Murfreesboro...5,241...141,344
  2. Clarksville...3,740...156,794
  3. Nashville...3,657...669,053
  4. Gallatin...3,103...40,457
  5. Lebanon...2,769...35,050
  6. Franklin...2,734...80,914
  7. Spring Hill...1,849...41,464
  8. Chattanooga...1,660...180,557
  9. Columbia...1,084...39,376
  10. Mount Juliet...993...35,725
  11. White House...879...12,506
  12. Smyrna...859...50,775
  13. Nolensville...846...9,012
  14. Cookeville...684...34,005
  15. Cleveland...593...44,974
  16. Johnson City...585...66,778
  17. Kingsport...561...54,076
  18. Knoxville...527...187,500
  19. Thompson's Station...496...6,114
  20. Maryville...392...29,192
  21. Collierville...385...50,616
  22. Alcoa...370...10,499
  23. Shelbyville...315...21,864
  24. Farragut...296...22,956
  25. Manchester...289...10,916
  26. Bartlett...265...59,315
  27. Fairview...262...8,999
  28. Lewisburg...252
  29. Pleasant View...217
  30. Morristown...216

12 of the top 15 fastest growing are in the Nashville/Murfreesboro/Franklin MSA. Just incredible. 

Edited by downtownresident
Clarification
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, PHofKS said:

Clarksville and Murfreesboro look like they will move up to 3rd and 4th largest cities in the state within the foreseeable future. Incredible!

One can definitely feel the growth in Murfreesboro.  I'm just glad I live on the Blackman side of town so, at least for now, I actually get to choose whether I want to enter the traffic nightmare or not.

• Like 1