Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

Remember a lot of the homes and a number of the apartments and condos that have been built have added zero to the population as they are short term rentals. This hurts the overall population numbers and density numbers as well, not to mention drive home and apartment prices up.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, titanhog said:

I agree with all you've said.  Each city is so different, for varying reasons.  Take LA and NYC.  NYC is highly dense...while LA is so spread out that it's difficult to drive and get out of its "grip."   Chicago is also very dense in comparison to LA.   Indy is so flat that when I drive through it, it feels like country, country, county and then BOOM...city.  Same goes for Omaha, NE.   

Great point about Indy. Its flatness is both a blessing (great for bike riding, walking and observing/admiring the skyline from afar) and a curse (the flatness limits any quirky or distinctive physical arrangement of buildings in relation to the "natural environment")

I read somewhere that L.A. is actually more dense than we realize.

WW

I agree with all you've said.  Each city is so different, for varying reasons.  Take LA and NYC.  NYC is highly dense...while LA is so spread out that it's difficult to drive and get out of its "grip."   Chicago is also very dense in comparison to LA.   Indy is so flat that when I drive through it, it feels like country, country, county and then BOOM...city.  Same goes for Omaha, NE.   

(regarding that last bit about “country then boom,”) I always thought that about (Inner) Nashville when you come into the downtown area from I-24 North.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, LA_TN said:

Two important conferences this week:

Airports Council International - North America JumpStart® Air Service Development Conference is North America’s premier air service development conference. The 2019 JumpStart® Conference will take place in Nashville, TN from June 3 – 5, 2019 at our host hotel, the JW Marriott

2019 JumpStart® Conference

The League of American Orchestras are holding their National Conference in Nashville this year, June 3-5 at the Omni Hotel

National Conference

That's funny in an ironic sort of way. I was just at the Schermerhorn Symphony Hall yesterday to watch the presentation of Carmina Burana. It was incredible!! The Nashville Ballet performed to the piece.

The Symphony Hall is my favorite building.

• Like 3

On 6/3/2019 at 5:14 PM, PHofKS said:

That's funny in an ironic sort of way. I was just at the Schermerhorn Symphony Hall yesterday to watch the presentation of Carmina Burana. It was incredible!! The Nashville Ballet performed to the piece.

The Symphony Hall is my favorite building.

The wife and I saw Carmina Burana with the Nashville Ballet at TPAC.  Good beyond description.  The number of musicians was amazing.  A choir in every nook and cranny.  The kitchen was massive and perched on both sides of the stage.  Glad you enjoyed it!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PaulChinetti said:

Do you all think it's taken from the roof of the old convention center? It would be interesting to try to recreate that shot.

It is from an upper floor of the Renaissance Hotel.  Here's a similar shot from 2015.  Can't seem to find anything more recent right now:

Bridgestone 2015.jpg

• Thanks 3

17 minutes ago, glamdring269 said:

Scooter regulation advocates probably got a nice boost today thanks to a video they just showed on the news.  Guy cruising down the street with his young child on his back.  Hey at least he wasn’t on the sidewalk. 

Dang....the father should be reported to children’s services....

• Like 3