Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

I drove down Jefferson St. yesterday for the first time since March of '16. Man, that part of town has exploded with growth! I love how many of the businesses there have preserved the postwar modern style. I didn't snap any pictures, but next time I will stop and capture some to share with the board.

East Nashville was flourishing as per usual. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/14/2019 at 9:04 PM, jmtunafish said:

Other than the bewildering way the narrator keeps mispronouncing "Opry" this is a fun--and gut-wrenching--video to watch for those of us who still miss Opryland like crazy.

Is there any type of theme park similar to this in the works? It sure would be nice to have one close and with the boom going on in Nashville currently, it would see plenty of guests. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, iGator said:

Is there any type of theme park similar to this in the works? It sure would be nice to have one close and with the boom going on in Nashville currently, it would see plenty of guests. 

Welcome to the forum, iGator!   : )

Unfortunately, nothing currently in the works for another amusement park.  Certainly have been lots of overtures about one over the years...but the economics of them are quite expensive these days, primarily due to massive liability insurance costs.

• Like 1

Sadly NO. The closest permanent amusement park I guess, is Dollywood, about 210 miles away... or 6 Flags over Atlanta, 250 miles. There's a small one in Chattanooga, 130 miles. And one in Louisville, KY (170 miles) may still be in operation (used to be 6 flags). But if you're going that far, may as well continue on northward another 100 miles to Kings Island in Ohio. That's the best one for wild roller coasters. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestions, the one's I've been looking into going to but haven't yet were Kentucky Kingdom and Holiday World.  Not too incredibly far away. Went to Dollywood when I was a kid but I'd definitely like to go there sometime soon as it's change a ton since I went, Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge is amazing. If it weren't so touristy I'd probably live there. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, iGator said:

Thanks Mark!

I moved to Hendersonville from Ft Myers Florida in June 2018 and I'm amazed at how many things are going on and that I'm discovering. Like a kid at a candy store. Really in love with this whole area of Tennessee. I sure picked an exciting time to get over here. Hopefully one day someone can work out the logistics of it all. 

You are also most welcome to come to our monthly Meet-Ups that happen the first Saturday of every month.  Our next gathering will be Sat. Sept. 7th, from 10 AM to noon at Luna Llena Taqueria (300 James Robertson Parkway, at the NW corner of JRP and 3rd Ave. North).

We will also have a Mini-Meet on Sat. Aug. 17th from 10 AM to noon at Americano Coffee (in Houston Station at 434 Houston, Suite 12) in Wedgewood/Houston neighborhood on the near south side (also known as WeHo). 

These gatherings are free to all, and we're a real friendly bunch.  : )

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MLBrumby said:

Sadly NO. The closest permanent amusement park I guess, is Dollywood, about 210 miles away... or 6 Flags over Atlanta, 250 miles. There's a small one in Chattanooga, 130 miles. And one in Louisville, KY (170 miles) may still be in operation (used to be 6 flags). But if you're going that far, may as well continue on northward another 100 miles to Kings Island in Ohio. That's the best one for wild roller coasters. 

Well there is Holiday World in Santa Claus Indiana. https://www.holidayworld.com/

And there is Kentucky Kingdom owned by the same company in Louisville:  https://www.kentuckykingdom.com/

Both of these are about 2 1/2 to 2  3/4 hours away. Sorry I see you have KY but missed Holiday World. One of the better ones.

• Like 3

I had snobbishly turned my nose up to ever going to Dollywood, but my niece and nephew live in Knoxville and wanted me to go with them.  I reluctantly agreed and was very pleasantly surprised how nice it was.  It is very well done, food was pretty good and there are lots of rides, some shows and landscaped beautifully.  I would certainly recommend it.  The only sort of odd thing is the MASSIVE amount of parking for handicap, not anything negative or being critical, just an unusually huge amount of cars in handicap parking.  I didn't particularly notice lots of people in the park that were in wheel chairs or crutches, again glad they can accommodate but just a general observation.  

Edited by GreenHillsBoy
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, markhollin said:

Blink, a NYC-based economical fitness chain, is looking at expanding into theNashville market with 6 locations. None have been identified yet.

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/retail/article/21081268/nycbased-fitness-chain-eyes-nashville

Although I'm not going to hold my breath, hopefully we'll see one of those built inside the loop — there's a significant lack of budget-friendly, 24/7 fitness centers, especially south of Downtown.

• Like 4

Bill blocking additional new AirBnB's is moving forward with Metro Council.

Councilwoman Burkley Allen's proposed bill to bar people from access to new non-owner-occupied, or investor-owned, permits to run short-term rental businesses such as Airbnbs in all residential zones after January 1, 2020 passed a second Metro Council reading early Wednesday morning. 

Council members voted 20-8 in favor of the measure, lining it up for final approval on Aug. 20. 

More behind The Tennessean paywall here:

https://www.tennessean.com/story/money/2019/08/07/short-term-rentals-airbnb-permits-nashville-metro-council/1736547001/

• Like 4

2 hours ago, markhollin said:

Bill blocking additional new AirBnB's is moving forward with Metro Council.

Councilwoman Burkley Allen's proposed bill to bar people from access to new non-owner-occupied, or investor-owned, permits to run short-term rental businesses such as Airbnbs in all residential zones after January 1, 2020 passed a second Metro Council reading early Wednesday morning. 

Council members voted 20-8 in favor of the measure, lining it up for final approval on Aug. 20. 

More behind The Tennessean paywall here:

https://www.tennessean.com/story/money/2019/08/07/short-term-rentals-airbnb-permits-nashville-metro-council/1736547001/

While I haven't read the article nor the bill, my first thought is that Metro should regulate as needed without stopping the free market from operating to serve people.  Are they deliberately trying to keep hotel rates high?  Does the revenue Metro gets from STR match what they get from hotels on a percentage basis?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mr_Bond said:

While I haven't read the article nor the bill, my first thought is that Metro should regulate as needed without stopping the free market from operating to serve people.  Are they deliberately trying to keep hotel rates high?  Does the revenue Metro gets from STR match what they get from hotels on a percentage basis?

Yeah, the irony behind all the Airbnb pathos is that it's ultimately a reflection of our restrictive zoning. If neighborhoods were allowed to develop based on demand (as they were before the 1950s) most of the land area within  3 miles of downtown would be filling in with townhomes and flats to meet the increasing demand. There would be thousands of airbnb units, but they would be swamped by many more residential units, which would also run the full spectrum of affordability.

Instead we restrict most areas to 4-10 houses per acre or less, creating an enormous artificial scarcity, which Airbnb gives people a way to arbitrage. Pretty self-defeating, but it's not gonna change any time soon. Which is why I'm building an airbnb in my back yard. :tw_grin:

• Like 4

On 8/7/2019 at 1:49 PM, AronG said:

Yeah, the irony behind all the Airbnb pathos is that it's ultimately a reflection of our restrictive zoning. If neighborhoods were allowed to develop based on demand (as they were before the 1950s) most of the land area within  3 miles of downtown would be filling in with townhomes and flats to meet the increasing demand. There would be thousands of airbnb units, but they would be swamped by many more residential units, which would also run the full spectrum of affordability.

Instead we restrict most areas to 4-10 houses per acre or less, creating an enormous artificial scarcity, which Airbnb gives people a way to arbitrage. Pretty self-defeating, but it's not gonna change any time soon. Which is why I'm building an airbnb in my back yard. :tw_grin:

Unfortunately in cities like Houston with few zoning restrictions, people accomplish many of the same results with a huge proliferation of deed restrictions: forbidding rental units, forbidding further subdivision of the property, etc.  This kind of thing is a selling  point to buyers since it forces prices to continue going artificially higher.  It would take a pretty fundamental change to the system to stop it since anybody can put pretty much any restriction in their deed as long as it doesn't discriminate against a protected group.

3 hours ago, Neigeville2 said:

Unfortunately in cities like Houston with few zoning restrictions, people accomplish many of the same results with a huge proliferation of deed restrictions: forbidding rental units, forbidding further subdivision of the property, etc.  This kind of thing is a selling  point to buyers since it forces prices to continue going artificially higher.  It would take a pretty fundamental change to the system to stop it since anybody can put pretty much any restriction in their deed as long as it doesn't discriminate against a protected group.

This is true and definitely happens, but a deed restriction theoretically devalues the property. If you can sell your single family home to someone wanting to put up 8 townhomes, they are going to pay a lot more for the land. So, anyone voluntarily putting a deed restriction on their property is hurting themselves. At least with less restrictive zoning, the incentives make sense. 

• Like 2