Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

On 8/12/2019 at 12:21 AM, dragonfly said:

So I should probably qualify: not every building design has to go before neighborhood associations like mine, but I lived in Montrose, and I saw it at meetings there, and in The Heights it definitely  is a requirement, so I'm not exactly sure how that works. Maybe if an an association is determined to vet the appearance of every building, the city defers to them. Which is definitely the case for the Heights. And deed restrictions can be lifted by the associations, example: my neighborhood (Timbergrove) was deed restricted to 1-1/2 stories which they lifted in 1999. The neighborhood also forbids garage sales, via deed restrictions.

B27 over Houston.jpg

west Houston.jpg

Edited by dragonfly
  • Like 4

Sounds complicated, but it seems to be less restrictive than our approach of requiring full council approval, which has resulted in most of the zoning getting wildly out of date, with sporadic/random up-zoning based on which developers know how to work the polticians and how CMs read the political winds on a given day.

Zoning aside, I've read that even Houston has significantly inhibited development via city-imposed regulations for things like parking minimums, although that may be changing. Here's hoping we'll follow suit one day.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, AronG said:

Zoning aside, I've read that even Houston has significantly inhibited development via city-imposed regulations for things like parking minimums, although that may be changing. Here's hoping we'll follow suit one day.

Yeah, if you check out HAIF, we frequently complain about parking minimums :tw_joy:

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nathan_in_the_UK said:

Well this is hilarious. A town in South Wales is holding a "Nashville Day." Just goes to show how far Nashville has penetrated in the pop culture around the world, but also how far it has to go to shake the "country bumpkin" image.

https://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/news/17842948.nashville-day-takeover-chepstow-town-centre-ahead-castell-roc-event/

10286667.jpg?type=article-full

I also continue to see a large number of the Music City branded taxi ads in London every time I'm there.

Actually...Europe supports traditional country music more than the US does right now.  It's amazing how many older traditional country music artists are making their living in Europe.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Jamie Hall said:

Based on what they've done in past years, it looks like a pretty big deal. I'll be curious to see who their speakers are this time.

Yes, I agree. I'm thinking of grabbing a ticket if only to watch the debates.

5 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

I had to google it as I  never heard of it, but that does not say much for me as I get a headache following the idiots on both sides of the aisles. 

Right?  I mean, what could go wrong having thousands of people with very different and polarizing views of today's world in one spot?  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, TheRaglander said:

Right?  I mean, what could go wrong having thousands of people with very different and polarizing views of today's world in one spot?  

No thanks! 

Remember when Portland used t be a nice city?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/06/30/antifa-right-wing-protesters-clash-streets-portland-oregon/1611630001/?utm_source=bnm&utm_medium=sem&utm_campaign=DSAnews&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhI_LlMSP5AIVSD0MCh25FgNoEAAYBCAAEgI2w_D_BwE