Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

1 hour ago, titanhog said:

It's been way more than one time...but yes...it's still a nice city.

Touche'... but point being (and i know you agree and that I'm preaching to the choir, but to clarify for others) one's chances of being at the exact intersection one of these brawls is taking place for half an hour every year or whatever is extremely low... hell most of those people probably aren't even from Portland!  Haha... I just think it's unfortunate when a city gets written off entirely due to one freak (no pun intended) occurrence.   

9 minutes ago, BnaBreaker said:

Touche'... but point being (and i know you agree and that I'm preaching to the choir, but to clarify for others) one's chances of being at the exact intersection one of these brawls is taking place for half an hour every year or whatever is extremely low... hell most of those people probably aren't even from Portland!  Haha... I just think it's unfortunate when a city gets written off entirely due to one freak (no pun intended) occurrence.   

The problem is that more than once, Portland officials have allowed protests to occur with violence taking place...and the police were told to stand down.  Thus...it ends up escalating the violence and brings in more "groups" to combat what they see as a city taking one group's side.   

It's one thing to allow protests...but it's another to allow violence to take place...and they at least seemed to have gotten it right this past weekend (for the first time).  Peaceful protests are what should be allowed (no matter which side someone is on).  Let's hope there won't be any violent protests in Nashville during this politicon...or whatever it's called.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, titanhog said:

The problem is that more than once, Portland officials have allowed protests to occur with violence taking place...and the police were told to stand down.  Thus...it ends up escalating the violence and brings in more "groups" to combat what they see as a city taking one group's side.   

It's one thing to allow protests...but it's another to allow violence to take place...and they at least seemed to have gotten it right this past weekend (for the first time).  Peaceful protests are what should be allowed (no matter which side someone is on).  Let's hope there won't be any violent protests in Nashville during this politicon...or whatever it's called.

It can start a lot of unfavorable perceptions and it adds up. To wit: I was with several associates at lunch today who had decided to avoid a CLE conference in Portland in October. I've been to Portland only twice and both times in the fall. That was 15 and 20 years ago. A beautiful time to go. Beautiful city. Hope they get their s#!t together. I'd love to go again sometime. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

It can start a lot of unfavorable perceptions and it adds up. To wit: I was with several associates at lunch today who had decided to avoid a CLE conference in Portland in October. I've been to Portland only twice and both times in the fall. That was 15 and 20 years ago. A beautiful time to go. Beautiful city. Hope they get their s#!t together. I'd love to go again sometime. 

Yeah...I love Portland.  It doesn't take much for a city to get a bad name, even if it's undeserved.  Hopefully the politicians in that area will come together to do something to tamp down violence.

• Like 1

On 8/15/2019 at 5:26 PM, nativetenn said:

Warning: Some of you may not enjoy reading the following article because said article contains humorous criticisms of Nashville.

Here is Deadspin's "Why your team sucks" edition for the Titans.

I cracked up, especially at the comments from fellow Titans fans.

You hit it spot on. I did NOT enjoy the article. But the comments were hilarious!

• Like 1

Nashville Metro Council has set a hard end date for new investor-owned short-term rental permits in residential areas, citing concerns about negative impacts on affordable housing and quality of life. 

Investors and developers now have about two more years to pull permits for residential non-owner-occupied Airbnbs and other vacation rentals before they are banned.

Council members approved the measure in a 25-5 vote Tuesday night. New non-owner-occupied permits were outlawed last year from single and two-family residential zones, and this rule expands that to include multifamily residential areas. 

Existing permit holders will be allowed to keep them, thanks to a state law approved last year.

More details at The Tennessean here:

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2019/08/21/nashville-airbnb-ban-short-term-vacation-rentals/2061739001/

• Thanks 2

I have some questions after reading the housing numbers they provided. It says that Davidson County needs to add about 31,000 homes by 2025. They make it sound like that is a min requirement, and that we really need even more than that. Would this be a common issue for our peer  cities? Or is Nashville really on the risk of having a huge housing problem? 31,000 homes is 6,200 a year, or roughly 17 a day. Could a city even produce numbers like that? Are we going to see average home prices continue to rise for a few years?

A bit diversionary, but special kudos to anyone who can identify the intersection at the 5:06, 5:35, and 5:39 marks of this new video from Flying Colors.  These guys are buddies of mine, and have recorded all three of their albums in the area.  Steve Morse (Dixie Dregs, Deep Purple, Kansas, Steve Morse Band) on lead guitar; Mike Portnoy (Dream Theater, Winery Dogs, Transatlantic, Sons of Apollo, and Neal Morse Band) on drums; Neal Morse (Spock's Beard, Transatlantic, and Neal Morse Band) on keys; Dave LaRue (Steve Vai Band, Joe Satriani Band, Dixie Dregs, and Steve Morse Band) on bass; and Casey McPherson (Alpha Rev) on lead vocals.  

41 minutes ago, Mr_Bond said:

^^^^  @markhollin, it's 2nd and Lindsley.  I drive by it regularly when returning home from an excursion east on I-40 or I-24.  The grass he lies on looks very nice.  I wonder if it was spring when they did the filming.

We have a winner!  : )   Yes, it's the tiny lawn in front of Lindsley Ave. Church of Christ, right off of the I-40 inner loop.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, PaulChinetti said:

I thought that, but I didn't think  that would count as "tourism".

Well if they're staying in Clarksville hotels and eating at Clarksville restaurants, I don't know why it wouldn't count as tourism, no matter the reason the visitor is in town.

• Thanks 2

36 minutes ago, PaulChinetti said:

I thought that, but I didn't think  that would count as "tourism".

32 minutes ago, jmtunafish said:

Well if they're staying in Clarksville hotels and eating at Clarksville restaurants, I don't know why it wouldn't count as tourism, no matter the reason the visitor is in town.

I didn't mean to sound flippant, sorry about that.  But you do bring up a good question:  What constitutes a tourist?  I mean, when I check into a hotel or make online hotel reservations, if I indicate that I'm on business, does that mean my money isn't counted towards tourism revenue?  I have no idea.  Or if I fill up my car at a gas station along I-40 in Dickson County, am I counted as a Dickson County tourist even though I'm just passing through?  I'd be interested to know how "tourists" are calculated.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jmtunafish said:

I'd be interested to know how "tourists" are calculated.

I bet there are lots of interesting estimates involved in coming up with those numbers.  Maybe we should assume they are only "directionally correct".  It's entirely possible that the pigeon forge-gatlinburg tourist trap actually generates more revenue than Shelby county.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Armacing said:

I bet there are lots of interesting estimates involved in coming up with those numbers.  Maybe we should assume they are only "directionally correct".  It's entirely possible that the pigeon forge-gatlinburg tourist trap actually generates more revenue than Shelby county.

In the case of Sevier County, I'm willing to bet that most tourists there stay longer than do tourists in most other Tennessee counties, including Davidson and Shelby.  I'd like to see stats that show how long tourists stay in places.  I think the average tourist probably stays a week or so in Sevier County versus a couple of days in Davidson, although I'm also willing to bet that a week in Sevier County still costs less for the average tourist than a couple of days in Nashville, particularly if business travelers are included as "tourists."

22 minutes ago, jmtunafish said:

In the case of Sevier County, I'm willing to bet that most tourists there stay longer than do tourists in most other Tennessee counties, including Davidson and Shelby.  I'd like to see stats that show how long tourists stay in places.  I think the average tourist probably stays a week or so in Sevier County versus a couple of days in Davidson, although I'm also willing to bet that a week in Sevier County still costs less for the average tourist than a couple of days in Nashville, particularly if business travelers are included as "tourists."

I think you're forgetting the thousands of tourists that come to Sevier County on a daily basis just to go to Dollywood and then drive the 1-4 hours back home.  

• Like 1