Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

On 8/23/2019 at 10:35 AM, iGator said:

I didn't know where else to ask this and I know it's not Nashville but does anyone know what's going on with the renovation of the old Sears Outlet store in Hendersonville on the corner of E Main St / Bonita Pkwy (393 East Main Street Suite 19)?

It seems I saw somewhere that it was going  to be a storage facility.  If that’s the case they could build something in the parking lot since they won’t need it for parking. 

• Like 1

On 8/24/2019 at 9:56 PM, Buildtall said:

It seems I saw somewhere that it was going  to be a storage facility.  If that’s the case they could build something in the parking lot since they won’t need it for parking. 

That stinks, was hoping for something more exciting lol. 

Thanks for the info.

On 8/21/2019 at 8:24 AM, bigeasy said:

I have some questions after reading the housing numbers they provided. It says that Davidson County needs to add about 31,000 homes by 2025. They make it sound like that is a min requirement, and that we really need even more than that. Would this be a common issue for our peer  cities? Or is Nashville really on the risk of having a huge housing problem? 31,000 homes is 6,200 a year, or roughly 17 a day. Could a city even produce numbers like that? Are we going to see average home prices continue to rise for a few years?

These types of numbers come out of NashvilleNext and are used as benchmarks based on the rate of growth over the last several years. 31K homes in the next 6 years is very unrealistic, but with the current rate of growth we are expecting almost 200K new residents in Davidson County. Something to remember about this figure is the 31K refers to workforce or otherwise "affordable" housing units. Under TN State Law, developers cannot be mandated to build affordable units, so many times it falls to non-profits or the metro government themselves to build these and that is a long hard task. I would say - in large part - because of the State Law, we wont come even close to the recommended number of units for the benchmark years. 

Yes we will continue to see a rise in housing costs for the forseeable future until the growth tapers off over the course of a couple years. As a city, we are almost right at the "average" mark in terms of affordability, but with the rate of growth the prices on real estate are only going to go up as demand to move here (which is what these great corporate relocations create) only increases.

31k over six years isn’t terribly far off what we are currently producing. The Nashville MSA built 18,043 units in 2018 (12,343 being single family houses). I’m 2017 there were 19,292 units constructed. I don’t have the county specific numbers in front of me, but it isn’t logistically difficult to build 6200 units per year in Davidson County. The more difficult question is whether 6200 units can be built in Davidson county that are economically viable for the developers and potential home buyers/renters. 

Edited by Hey_Hey
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

A few times each summer I get together with friends who work at 222 2nd Ave. South, and we watch/listen tp concerts at Ascend Amphitheater from the terrace patio.  I wasn't able to join them last night for the Peter Frampton Farewell concert, but one of them filmed this.  What a lovely riverfront we have....

https://www.facebook.com/cindyannemueller/videos/10219683757912291/

• Like 3

On 8/27/2019 at 8:39 AM, AronG said:

Probly unwise to comment on this, but it's frankly ridiculous when cable tv political entertainment show memes get dragged into the real world and treated like they're serious. Violence in Portland isn't a real actual concern for anyone serious. Their violent crime and property crime rates, inclusive of these sideshows, is a fraction of the rate in, say, Nashville. The fringe events that are so heavily covered in some quarters have not placed them on the precipice of some kind of bad reputation that threatens their future. Their city is very successful, is growing rapidly, and is so far positioning itself to handle that growth much more gracefully than we are.

Portland is a vagabond's Seattle.

2 hours ago, markhollin said:

A few times each summer I get together with friends who work at 222 2nd Ave. South, and we watch/listen tp concerts at Ascend Amphitheater from the terrace patio.  I wasn't able to join them last night for the Peter Frampton Farewell concert, but one of them filmed this.  What a lovely riverfront we have....

https://www.facebook.com/cindyannemueller/videos/10219683757912291/

Sorry cant view the video. I refuse to do Ugly FaceBook. Even if you are on Facebook , you cant view it as I sent it to a friend and he could not see it either.

I would call the  Demonbreun Hill project dead as I would the Buckingham tower at this point. I am also hearing from multiple sources that One KVB is more than dead.

We do not know the dynamics of the Nashville Yards towers as the scope keeps changing.

If Cooper is elected, you can probably put Paramount in that category too.

The timing on the District towers may be tricky.

However on a different note, there may be some surprises coming. At least three I can think of but these all have to have the stars have to be right.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

I would call the  Demonbreun Hill project dead as I would the Buckingham tower at this point. I am also hearing from multiple sources that One KVB is more than dead.

We do not know the dynamics of the Nashville Yards towers as the scope keeps changing.

If Cooper is elected, you can probably put Paramount in that category too.

The timing on the District towers may be tricky.

However on a different note, there may be some surprises coming. At least three I can think of but these all have to have the stars have to be right.

@smeagolsfree can you remind me what demonbreun hill project is? 

It was a group of buildings including highrises that were to be built on Demonbreun Hill where all the restaurants are and Off Broadway was.

This was a proposal that was done about 4 years ago. I am sure there is a rendering somewhere here but I took it off the development map as there has been no word, not even a peep about this one.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, nashvylle said:

@smeagolsfree can you remind me what demonbreun hill project is? 

Here are some images from the concept that came out in 2015.  The project may be in deep moth balls, or even dead...but one thing's for sure: that property is WAY too valuable to be left underdeveloped over the long term. 

Demonbreun Hill layout, May, 2015.png

Demonbreun Hill May 2015 1.png

Demonbreun Hill May 2015 2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

In this case I would say its all about the financing, as I think Metro is 100% behind it as the need for another convention hotel is high on the list. It has passed a number of council votes already based on the need factor. It has passed a preliminary vote by MDHA and probably would not  have to go through the Downtown Code design review, because it lies within the MDHA redevelopment district. MDHA follows the same bonus height schedule as the DTC and a member of Planning sits on that committee. I think the way it works is that if it is not in a redevelopment district and in downtown, then the DTC takes over.

Dont quote me on that because its all sort of confusing, so if anyone knows for sure, please comment.

• Like 1