Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

Corporate relocations are always about money, increasing profits, cutting costs. When our competition offers more than we do, we will suffer. Right or wrong, and yes its wrong, that's how it works.

I do think our mayor matters. Let's compare Nashville's growth between incentive liking Mayors Bredesen & Dean and non incentive fan Purcell?  With the state legislature trying to undercut the city at every turn, we need a mayor with the backbone to stand up to them. (or at least try)

How would a teacher's strike look if they don't get a decent pay raise in the next 4 years? I don't think Cooper will derail Nashville's growth, but he was elected with the direction to stop concentrating on downtown growth and do the readers of this forum really want that? With the national economy likely to slow down do we need that coupled with a mayor also tapping the breaks on our growth?

Edited by Nash_12South
  • Like 1

Cooper will be throwing the outlying neighborhoods some bones here and there to say I am doing something for you. 

He will continue to allow a lot of the status quo as far as new development downtown. He has little or no control over what a developer can do by rights. Whatever a parcel is zoned for plus if it is zoned to allow for bonus height, again by rights, he has no control. Now Metro Council can overrule Planning, but we will see if that happens, but I doubt it.

The State is already picking up some of the slack as far as incentives go. There are already some Metro laws in place allowing for incentives for any company bringing jobs to Metro.

He is taking money form business and developers for his campaign, so they have his ear and some of the developers are saying its not doom and gloom. Not going to mention any names.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, PaulChinetti said:

If he wanted to follow through on this neighborhoods shtick, he could come up with a plan to sidewalk the entirety of Nashville, at least one side of each street,  in the next 3-5 years, and I would be 100% on board with that.

THIS! THIS! THIS!

I mentioned to William at the meet up that this is what I am looking for the most in Cooper. Downtown will continue to develop because of all the momentum downtown has created, but the areas directly durrounding downtown (with the exception of maybe Hope Gardens and Germentown because they always seem to be the exception), really need to start looking and acting the part of urban neighborhoods. you look at other big time cities and they support their direct surrounding areas. we need that to occur here and it all starts with the infrastructure. I really really hope Cooper has the cajones to follow through on that.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Rockatansky said:

That's a fantastic idea, but how do we pay for it when Cooper is 100% opposed to an increase in the property tax rate?

The sidewalk fund all these developers are getting away with paying into...

He's the mayor that's his job to figure out now, since he's the one that got elected because he's going to fix the neighborhoods!

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Rockatansky said:

That's a fantastic idea, but how do we pay for it when Cooper is 100% opposed to an increase in the property tax rate?

He's obviously going to just reconfigure the budget and we'll have it in no time!

6 minutes ago, PaulChinetti said:

The sidewalk fund all these developers are getting away with paying into...

He's the mayor that's his job to figure out now, since he's the one that got elected because he's going to fix the neighborhoods!

Anyone know whatever happened to the $20 million sidewalk fund that Barry pushed out?

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, grilled_cheese said:

He's obviously going to just reconfigure the budget and we'll have it in no time!

Anyone know whatever happened to the $20 million sidewalk fund that Barry pushed out?

I've tried to find the "sidewalk fund" in the budget a couple of times with no luck.

I have no idea what his map on this page is showing. I'm glad they outlined the entire city as a "pedestrian benefit zone" ha.

https://www.nashville.gov/Planning-Department/Transportation/Sidewalks.aspx

If Cooper was for real, he would start in less well off areas and start building sidewalks moving up in neighborhoods until you get to the Belle Meade's.

• Like 2

He shouldn't have made the promise then if the city couldn't afford it. He's the self-proclaimed numbers guy.

It should be easy enough to do a survey and see where there aren't sidewalks where they are needed. Start at all the bus stops that don't have them. Boom, give me my consulting fee Metro Nashville.

Ofcourse this is where fixing the neighborhoods gets tricky. Does this random intersection up in northern Davidson County need sidewalks? I would say probably not but is that more or less important than in the urban core? The voters think it's more important out there, so... Let's get building Mayor Cooper.

#fiestyfriday  =)

Screen Shot 2019-09-13 at 1.26.08 PM.png

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, PaulChinetti said:

It should be easy enough to do a survey and see where there aren't sidewalks where they are needed. Start at all the bus stops that don't have them. Boom, give me my consulting fee Metro Nashville.

This is already done via a scoring system that takes into account proximity to transit, nearby schools, and commercial developments, existing sidewalk connectivity (i.e., gaps), etc. (Actual pedestrian traffic is conspicuously not a factor.) There's a list of projects a hundred pages long, the problem is that there isn't any money to fund them. In between wrangling Metro Water Services and the various public input processes it also takes forever to design and is expensive on a per-foot basis.

That being said the biggest drivers of these are the CMs so if you know of areas that need them in your neighborhood your best bet is to bird-dog your CM until it gets pushed up the list. Some of them are better than others about advocating for sidewalks and there have been a couple I know of who have actually turned them down.

• Like 3