Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

2 hours ago, markhollin said:

Well... I’m a mess. This final chapter of Ken Burns’ “Country Music” on PBS was moving beyond words. Do yourself the biggest of favors to watch all eight chapters.  Instant classic.

Yes, beautifully done! I cried at least once in every episode-multiple times during the final chapter.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

There is a bill in front of Council to raise parking fines to $25.00, introduced by Colby Sledge.

At this point there is almost NO ENFORCEMENT of parking in this city. What difference does it make what the cost of a fine if nobody ever gets ticketed? Walk through downtown any midday and look at all the expired meters. And the “two hour limit” at street meters in the CBD, NEVER enforced!

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, donNdonelson2 said:

At this point there is almost NO ENFORCEMENT of parking in this city. What difference does it make what the cost of a fine if nobody ever gets ticketed? Walk through downtown any midday and look at all the expired meters. And the “two hour limit” at street meters in the CBD, NEVER enforced!

And if this passes and you happen to get hit with a ticket, you’ll be hit with a fine that is basically market rate for a spot downtown.

And It isn’t just parking that isn’t enforced, it is basically any law or code in Nashville short of assault or murder. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BnaBreaker said:

RAISE them to $25?  What are they now?  

I think its either 10 or 15. At least it will make people think twice about paying for a space vs. a paid lot. I think it should be $50.00. That is the max the City can charge I think according to state law.

I think they are starting to get these folks with outdated handicap placards too as I have seen a few with tickets now. A lot of people cheat the system by getting those  placards and are parking free all day at a meter. There are some people that need them that cant park because of the ones that cheat and abuse the system.

• Like 3

The $50 cap on municipal fines was set in the Tennessee constitution in 1870. It can be changed by referendum; I think the last time it was on the ballot was the early 2000s, but it didn't pass. Article VI, Section 14:

No fine shall be laid on any citizen of this state that shall exceed fifty dollars, unless it shall be assessed by a jury of his peers, who shall assess the fine at the time they find the fact, if they think the fine should be more than fifty dollars.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

There is a bill in front of Council to raise parking fines to $25.00, introduced by Colby Sledge.

Yes, please! Parking fines should be proportionally punitive and a deterrent. As long as they are lower than the cost of the private parking people will continue to park as they please and the city will continue to lose revenue because right now the calculated risk tends to lean more in favor of not paying and risk the fine. It is not cost effective for parking enforcement to be all places at all times but the increased fine will hopefully help balance some of the equation and mean more revenue for the city (through either fines or people actually paying because it is no longer worth the risk) and/or increased parking enforcement patrol (meaning more spots available for those willing to pay) and/or increased private parking revenue bringing money into the private sector downtown.

• Like 2

It seems like the increased parking ticket fine + more enforcement officers could pay for itself? How many tickets do you need to write in a day to cover the cost of an employee and a vehicle, 10? You could do that in 2 hours easy any weekday around Centennial park / Vandy.

14 hours ago, Sean blackdog said:

Read :whistling:

Check out this article from Tennessean:

'Rich getting richer': As Nashville dominates growth in Tennessee, rural areas lag farther behind metros

https://www.tennessean.com/story/money/2019/09/30/nashville-dominates-job-growth-tennessee/2421770001/

The part that blows my mind is how many new jobs Nashville has gotten compared to all of the other TN urban areas...combined!  Nashville is booming while the other urban areas don't seem to be benefitting that much from our boom.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Sean blackdog said:

Read :whistling:

Check out this article from Tennessean:

'Rich getting richer': As Nashville dominates growth in Tennessee, rural areas lag farther behind metros

https://www.tennessean.com/story/money/2019/09/30/nashville-dominates-job-growth-tennessee/2421770001/

Good. Now we need to figure out how to stop them from stealing from us to prop up their lifestyle.

• Like 2