Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

3 minutes ago, Melrose said:

Like I said,  this a nice one time realization of  $12.6 MM,  which will help fill part of the hole in this year's budget.   But in future years,  this $12.6 MM will only be a replacement  for, and thus only a  small increase over the $10MM, that MCC has given over the past couple years.  This is just a different structure, as discussed here:

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2019/10/10/nashville-mayor-john-cooper-music-city-center-make-deal-boost-budget/3929172002/

So my point is this is not a "pretty huge win" for Cooper,  it is a small increase and does indeed set a more permanent structure,  which are indeed both nice  and seem to have been in the works already.    But as Bob Mendes notes in the article,  MCC could give more:

"If you really wanted to push the convention center authority, there's another $10 million to $15 million," Mendes said. "The convention center is limited on what they can spend money on because there's a high stack of bond payments and they've got hotel and motel taxes that (can only be spent in certain ways)." 

Now if Cooper had gotten all of this money,  that would be a lot more significant.....

The past two years of $10MM were special requests and it was only for tourism related expenses. $12.6MM of recurring pilot taxes going to metro's budget is in my opinion a big win, but you can of course disagree with my definition of a big win. 

Edited by nashvylle

More sober headed analysis here:

https://www.nashvillescene.com/news/pith-in-the-wind/article/21091747/mayor-convention-center-announce-multiyear-funding-plan

Again,  a nice small thing with incremental improvements.  But Cooper is pretending this is something it's not, and I expect we are going to get a lot more such proclamations over the next 4 years....   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 10/11/2019 at 8:15 AM, markhollin said:

Screen Shot 2019-10-11 at 8.14.39 AM.png

I transferred into Vanderbilt engineering fall '69 from U Chattanooga which became UTC that very fall semester. By that time I had made it my business to have a good knowledge of metros around the country because of meeting people from them at college. i remember spending time in the UC library looking at population tables in the Information Please Almanac. So in 1970 Nashville metro was 600K and Atlanta was 1.3M+. Houston was 1.8M, smaller than Nashville present. I think Austin was about 350K and Charlotte somewhere between Austin and Nashville. Chicago was right at 8M metro (where my parents had relocated by then), Detroit at 5M. Los Angeles had surpassed Chicago in metro and city pop maybe around '66.

I remember in the Vanderbilt engineering school seeing on a bulletin board in ca. '71 someone had posted an authoritative clipping with projected 1980 metro population for Nashville at 900K and it was well known at that time that Nashville was growing much faster than Memphis. So sure enough I was not going to let that memory go saved without checking those almanacs after 1980 for the census figures. The Nashville metro was 850K  and Memphis was 910K in 1980. Austin was about 550K I think, as I was living there at the time, 1980.

So currently, intriguing it is to understand that metro Houston (my domicile) is, at 7M approaching the 1970 population of Chicagoland where I spent my summers during college (@ Arlington Heights). The DFW metroplex is already there at 8M currently.

And btw all those decades was sort of anticipating Nashville crossing that 1M metro population eventually (since I grew up there), which, turned out it had just reached in the 1990 census. Although I have seen somewhere that there was some controversy over what constituted the Nashville metro at that time.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, bigeasy said:

OMG that is horrible!!! It looks like someone was on some scaffolding on the side as well.

Bad winds there causing the cranes to crash into the building? They looked like they were swaying.

Some people on Skyscraper Page said they apparently heard the two crane horizontal booms collided causing one to drop its load, thus causing the floors below to pancake on top of one another.  We will know for sure at some point.

Circle will be the name of the new joint venture TV network between Ryman Hospitality and Gray Television. The name is a nod to the wooden circle of the Grand Ole Opry Stage that was taken from the Ryman stage.  The 24/7 network will debut in early 2020.

Circle Media is a key piece of that strategy that will create a window into all of the best moments that happen in Nashville and throughout the South so fans can connect with up-and-coming artists and the superstars they love from anywhere they are.

Circle will feature original programming centered around artists’ music, hobbies, outdoor and offstage adventures, food, family and friends. Circle also will offer entertainment news, documentaries and movies along with licensed programming and archival content. The lineup includes the return of a weekly broadcast of the Grand Ole Opry.

More at NBJ here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2019/10/17/ryman-hospitality-unveils-name-of-upcoming-tv.html?iana=hpmvp_nsh_news_headline

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1