Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

So this obviously isn't news about anything, but just an observation... I don't get on as much as I used to, what with work keeping me busy, being away traveling, and being out on big gray float-ey things in the ocean a lot. I'm heading home at the end of the month for Thanksgiving and absolutely cannot wait to see all that I have missed. Just trying to catch up on the forum is almost impossible if I miss a couple of weeks. It's just overwhelming sometimes, and I can't wait to actually get on the ground and see it myself. There's been some disappointments, of course, such as with the apparent bad news about the MLS stadium, but so much growth. I hope to maybe try to do a walkaround at some point when I'm home, if I do I'll post and try to organize a little mini-meet.

2 hours ago, Baronakim said:

But I distinctly remember that Demonbreum Street  in the 80s from Music Row to the river was like a war zone.  The Gulch was rotting warehouses;  the railroad  service to the city ended and Union Station was a sad shadow of its past and from 9th to the bridge was a no-man's land of broken glass from the crowds of homeless there.  It was an area not at all safe to go.  The honky-tonks on Lower Broad and government was mostly where any activities were downtown.   Other areas were likewise in horrible shape.  The east bank of the river was an industrial slum;  From the railroad bridge to the new interstate was another blighted area...the slaughterhouse (Neuhoff),...one story warehouses and vacant lots from Joe Johnson  to Jefferson  Street.  I

I think this is super important to foot-stomp. When I was a kid in the late 80s, early 90s, and we made trips in to town, we avoided downtown almost entirely. We went in only for school trips to the State Capital, TPAC, and the Museum, the occasional event at the Municipal Auditorium, or that one time we got a treat and got to go to The Stockyards for a birthday dinner. Weirdly, I distinctly remember going to Church Street Centre just after it opened when I was 8 or 9, mainly because I thought the view of the Capital building was so cool. Part of it, I think, was that my family just wasn't very interested in what was happening on Lower Broad, but a lot of it was just how rough that part of town was. The "old Nashville" crowd have certainly put on some serious rose-colored glasses when it comes to just how bad so much of the city was 30 years ago.

• Like 2

I will make one comment about the L&C Tower. It was only the tallest commercial building in the South when it was opened because the State Capitol in Baton Rouge, LA was 20+ feet taller. And the tallest outside of NYC and Chicago was the Terminal Tower in Cleveland.

Your other memories are spot on as I recall. I worked in Harvey's Department store for a year then the mailroom in the L&C Tower for a year. I know Nashville's story very well.

• Like 4

On 11/3/2019 at 1:48 PM, PHofKS said:

I will make one comment about the L&C Tower. It was only the tallest commercial building in the South when it was opened because the State Capitol in Baton Rouge, LA was 20+ feet taller. And the tallest outside of NYC and Chicago was the Terminal Tower in Cleveland.

Your other memories are spot on as I recall. I worked in Harvey's Department store for a year then the mailroom in the L&C Tower for a year. I know Nashville's story very well.

The Gulf Oil building in Houston was built in '29 and is 430 feet, now with a different name.  So the above should be qualified further as in the Southeast. Would be interested if the Louisiana Capitol bldg is taller than the old Houston tower. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JPMorgan_Chase_Building_(Houston)

BTW the Texas capitol bldg is just shy of 304 feet tall.

Furthermore btw there was a very long thread on the Houston C-D forum as to whether Houston could be considered an outpost of the southeast. I gave one of the most comprehensive answers as to how the argument could be made in the affirmative, since I grew up in the SE, (Atlanta and Nashville), and all my immediate and distant family did too. It turned out to be a highly contentious debate. I would post a link but that may go against the rules here. Maybe I could cut and paste.

Edited by dragonfly

No need to go into a "Is Houston in the Southeast?" discussion. My post merely echoed the claim by the L&C Tower developers at the time of being the tallest commercial building in the south. I'm sure they had intentions in the regard that were self promoting and not any attack on Houston.

I enjoyed reading Baronakim's account of the early 50's in Nashville as a story of how far the city has come, and didn't intend to distract from that.

• Like 4

It is a matter of which map you look at. As far as geographical separation, Texas and OK are in the South, some have them in the SW and yet other have them in the West South Central. It depends on how specific of a map you look at. Some even considered Delaware and Maryland part of the SE depending on the timeframe.

Some consider all of Texas in the SE and others consider East Texas only, part of the SE. 

As anything it is a matter of opinion and what map or which article you look at.

So to settle the argument, there is no clear answer to the argument.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, smeagolsfree said:

It is a matter of which map you look at. As far as geographical separation, Texas and OK are in the South, some have them in the SW and yet other have them in the West South Central. It depends on how specific of a map you look at. Some even considered Delaware and Maryland part of the SE depending on the timeframe.

Some consider all of Texas in the SE and others consider East Texas only, part of the SE. 

As anything it is a matter of opinion and what map or which article you look at.

So to settle the argument, there is no clear answer to the argument.

Correct no clear answers.  But if there was, I would love to know how Ohio which is completely east of Nashville is in the 'Midwest"

On 11/3/2019 at 11:43 AM, markhollin said:

Excellent summary, Baronakim!  Thanks!  : )

Hey Mark, I private messaged you today about a summary you posted a few weeks ago. - Jay

1 hour ago, smeagolsfree said:

This relates to the conversation in the Paramount thread about largest employers in the State and thought I would post a pic of Eastman Chemical in Kingsport incase you guys have never seen it. Very impressive to say the least.

eastman.JPG

Good post, Ron. Eastman Chemical flies under the radar. They have plants in countries around the world. 

7 hours ago, Jarno said:

Correct no clear answers.  But if there was, I would love to know how Ohio which is completely east of Nashville is in the 'Midwest"

2 hours ago, dReAmWiELdEr said:

And also that was probably “Midwest” back in the day?

I think it's a term frozen in time...without googling it I'd say about the 1830s.

My armchair etymology: At one time (the colonial period and for some time after independence) everything west of the Appalachians was "the West". That's why the land now known as the East North Central states was called the Northwest Territory. Eventually people felt the need to distinguish between the Plains and the Great Lakes region on one hand and the areas far to the west, so we ended up with the West and the Midwest.
--------------------------------------------------
[edit] Finally decided to look it up. I was only off by about  half century: "The designation Middle West probably came into use during the 1880s and was applied primarily to Kansas and Nebraska and, to a lesser extent, Iowa and Missouri. During the first decade of the twentieth century the term Middle West was applied to a wider region but with little consistency."

Edited by billgregg55
  • Like 2

Coming to Nashville next week and I want to check out the biggest construction projects so I am guessing Nashville Yards, 5th and Broadway and what other ones should I go by? Maybe the Four Seasons.  I know you have hotels popping up like dandelions on a spring day all over.  Plus what should I check out in Franklin and Williamson county too?  Ovation? 

I am hoping for better weather than my last 2 trips where rain and clouds dominated LOL

Will be  perched in One Nashville plaza and 18th and Chet for short time too.  

and oh yes I am one of those out of town Charlotte  country music fans in a 4x4 truck too blasting country music.  

Plus where is that Wings mural everyone talks about?  Please give me the cross streets.  

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 3

44 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Coming to Nashville next week and I want to check out the biggest construction projects so I am guessing Nashville Yards, 5th and Broadway and what other ones should I go by? Maybe the Four Seasons.  I know you have hotels popping up like dandelions on a spring day all over.  Plus what should I check out in Franklin and Williamson county too?  Ovation? 

I am hoping for better weather than my last 2 trips where rain and clouds dominated LOL

Will be  perched in One Nashville plaza and 18th and Chet for short time too.  

and oh yes I am one of those out of town Charlotte  country music fans in a 4x4 truck too blasting country music.  

Plus where is that Wings mural everyone talks about?  Please give me the cross streets.  

The wings mural is in the Gulch on 11th Ave. it’s address is 302 11th Ave s. Between the intersections of 11th Ave and Laurel street/Pine street. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, downtownresident said:

The wings mural is in the Gulch on 11th Ave. it’s address is 302 11th Ave s. Between the intersections of 11th Ave and Laurel street/Pine street. 

thanks that is right around the block from where I am eating lunch so I will make a point to check it out. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, PHofKS said:

No need to go into a "Is Houston in the Southeast?" discussion. My post merely echoed the claim by the L&C Tower developers at the time of being the tallest commercial building in the south. I'm sure they had intentions in the regard that were self promoting and not any attack on Houston.

I enjoyed reading Baronakim's account of the early 50's in Nashville as a story of how far the city has come, and didn't intend to distract from that.

Oh OK. Was thinking I was making a contribution to the thread.

I've probably said it before on here,in years past, but my dad got hired away from The Equitable in Atlanta by L&C in '55, so I may be the only one on here with that kind of memory of L&C before there was a tower, plus getting to see it (the lobby & my dad's department)  when it opened. The "developers" were Guilford Dudley and the board. I'm just a bit aware of what was claimed for the building since I and my family were, you could say, linked to its advent, and my dad had a clay ashtray with the original design  sticking up out of the corner, which was quite different from the final one.  And the story of why that ashtray design got scaled back. If you guys are interested.  But feeling a little standoffish right now with no need of discussion looming.

• Like 1

This is the 'bits and pieces' thread. So I'd like to know why the original plan for the L&C tower was scaled back. And what did the original look like? 

Also, Baron Akim referred to the 'old L&C tower' at the far right of the color photo, but I believe that was the old National Life building. Not sure but I think L&C was run out of a building that still stands on 4th Avenue. It's adjacent to the 'new' tower.  

https://goo.gl/maps/4Zus7pyoGTK2M5YM6

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MLBrumby said:

This is the 'bits and pieces' thread. So I'd like to know why the original plan for the L&C tower was scaled back. And what did the original look like? 

Also, Baron Akim referred to the 'old L&C tower' at the far right of the color photo, but I believe that was the old National Life building. Not sure but I think L&C was run out of a building that still stands on 4th Avenue. It's adjacent to the 'new' tower.  

https://goo.gl/maps/4Zus7pyoGTK2M5YM6

Because Nashville.  

• Haha 2