Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

6 hours ago, Baronakim said:

Sadly, the art deco  Tennessee Building (14 stories) seen at right at 6th & Church, was eventually demolished for crappy apartments in the 80s?.  

Thanks for sharing those photos. The crappy apartments (The Cumberland) that replaced the Tennessee Theater (in the Warner Building) were built by Tony Giarratana in the mid '90s. I believe he had razed the old building in the late '80s and then the land was a parking lot for several years.  I remember when the Cumberland, which is around the corner from my office, was being built. My coworkers and I commented that it was the very latest in East German Revival Architecture.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

This is the 'bits and pieces' thread. So I'd like to know why the original plan for the L&C tower was scaled back. And what did the original look like? 

Also, Baron Akim referred to the 'old L&C tower' at the far right of the color photo, but I believe that was the old National Life building. Not sure but I think L&C was run out of a building that still stands on 4th Avenue. It's adjacent to the 'new' tower.  

https://goo.gl/maps/4Zus7pyoGTK2M5YM6

So the building to the left of the L&C (before/during construction)  was around 2 to 3 stories tall and then floors added after the L&c was completed?

Apparently it was expanded with additional floors, but when and how much is what I'm unclear on. Was hoping for some additional info. It's a fairly attractive, albeit somewhat unremarkable building. Next to the tower, it's even unnoticeable. So with this question, what used to be at the site (corner) where the tower was built? 

Where is the best surface parking lot to park in that is reasonable in downtown during a weekday?  Is it over the river  by the Nissan Stadium?  I dont mind walking some for cheaper parking.    Lets say I am heading to the AT&T building for example.  Help a tourist out LOL. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Where is the best surface parking lot to park in that is reasonable in downtown during a weekday?  Is it over the river  by the Nissan Stadium?  I dont mind walking some for cheaper parking.    Lets say I am heading to the AT&T building for example.  Help a tourist out LOL. 

I assume you must have a large vehicle if you want surface.  I think you can park at Nissan Stadium parking lots for $5 and walk across the pedestrian bridge.  However, not sure when your time ends there and when you would have to re-up.  The best parking is probably the downtown library, but it is a garage.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, japan said:

I assume you must have a large vehicle if you want surface.  I think you can park at Nissan Stadium parking lots for $5 and walk across the pedestrian bridge.  However, not sure when your time ends there and when you would have to re-up.  The best parking is probably the downtown library, but it is a garage.

thanks and I do have a truck and I find only certain garages are okay.   We have some in Charlotte but many are very tight.  If you have know of a garage with more larger spaces let me know.  

• Like 1

Lot R is usually free during the week. If you are on the stadium side it is the lot on the south side of the pedestrian bridge. Sometimes its closed for special events.

Also if you get there early, the street parking between the stadium and the river is free.

If all else fails, Germantown is an option. It is a bit of a hike into downtown,  maybe 20 minutes but street parking is free.

If you are needing to park close to the Gulch there is free on street parking on Hawkins just off 12th.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, CaptainJilliams said:

Not sure if this was posted here yet, but Expedia makes travel videos for various cities and just a month or two back they finally made one for Nashville:

For me they are always a fun watch, especially to see if they include any hidden gems or if they stick to the basic tourist hotspots. A lot of nice shots of the skyline, but you can tell it's a couple months old just from seeing certain projects in the background. 

This is a really good overview of the diversity of the city in things to do, architecture, and natural beauty.  

Edited by GreenHillsBoy
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

Come on guys, we have to talk about the Giant Pink elephant in the room, and that is the current state of Nashville's fiscal affairs. I knew this was about to hit and the state is being very generous right now, but time is limited before they step in and take over... and yes they can.. because under state law they have the authority to do so when a cities budget is not balanced.

Council needs to go ahead and bite the bullet and raise taxes to solve the issue. I have said before  and I will say it again, Nashville's tax rate is the lowest in the state as far as the  10 or so largest cities. There may be one the top 10 that has a lower rate but I dont think so. People are going to moan and groan about their tax bill, but if the council does not fix it the state will.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/local/2019/11/14/nashville-must-make-changes-budget-risk-government-shutdown-comptroller-warns/2575379001/

But the question is: how is it possible for the city to be in fiscal shortfall while our city is booming in every corner?

Police understaffed by 200. Newly built schools have portable classrooms added before they open! Metro employees are not getting adequate pay raises. I'm not saying people will be opposed to a tax hike, but there are some really hard questions to answer with regard to where our taxes currently are spent. And that's probably why we got Mayor Cooper

Just my 2 cents 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, PaulChinetti said:

I’ll say it again as I say it everyone this comes up. It’s about making businesses pay their fair share, stop letting them hire a hoard of lawyers and accountants and get huge discounts on their taxes. 

And sadly, because of this, they're about to stick it to the little guy (homeowners) with more property taxes to make up for it.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, LA_TN said:

But the question is: how is it possible for the city to be in fiscal shortfall while our city is booming in every corner?

Police understaffed by 200. Newly built schools have portable classrooms added before they open! Metro employees are not getting adequate pay raises. I'm not saying people will be opposed to a tax hike, but there are some really hard questions to answer with regard to where our taxes currently are spent. And that's probably why we got Mayor Cooper

Just my 2 cents 

I think it is a combination of several things.

1) Overspending  over the last several administrations , (The Dean administration in particular) with out a clear path of payment for projects.

2) A low tax rate

3) Too many appeals granted during last property reappraisal.

4) Cost has increased over the last 10 years and Metro has done nothing to increase revenue to account for this. Wage increase for cost of living wage, cost of goods, wage increase to account for increased job competition, an aging infrastructure or in many cases lack of infrastructure. 

I will bet there are another 10 reasons I dont know about.

Guys I am an amateur looking at this from the outside and I can see the issues, so I will be there are a lot of other things that are contributing to the problem as well.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Nashvillain said:

Here you go, go to town on this 708 page bad boy.  https://www.nashville.gov/Portals/0/SiteContent/Finance/docs/OMB/FY20Budget/Rec Budget Book/FY20RecOperBBFinal050719B.pdf

One thing that jumps off the page is...Debt Service Payments

Is the “sidewalk fund” in there? (eye roll)

• Haha 1

Correct on your post on costs and so many reappraisal appeals granted. Size of staffs have risen dramatically over the past ten years too.  Mayor Barry's payroll rose by more than a third in her short time in office.  I suspect the appeals will be radically pared back next year as it can be done without legislating a solution. I imagine there's going to be layoffs with a lot more scrutiny by the state.  We haven't gotten much news about Metro's finances; so IDK how severe the shortfall is or how it is impacting debt service. Has the local news covered any of that? Sorry for the ramble, I'm typing notes here. Will streamline this.

Edited by MLBrumby