Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

2 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

Hope you enjoyed your visit KJHburg. If you ever get here on the first Saturday of the month, feel free to join us for a forum meet.

I may get to Charlotte next year to visit my brother in Mooresville again.

Thanks for all of the kind words and I really enjoyed all of the photos.

Up in Mooresville  you say? then you can pop on our new express toll lanes which Nashville needs to build LOL.  Just look for a bill in the mail. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I asked Mayor Cooper about finances, taxes, etc and he said they will first work to stop some incentives and close loopholes given to businesses in the past. An example incentive: the water rate for businesses was reduced (years ago) to spur growth; now businesses in Brentwood pay a much higher rate than Nashville, but residents also pay a higher rate. But he is absolutely focused on capitalizing on the explosive growth to prevent a tax rate hike on residents 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, DeemonBruhn said:

All I will say is this... it is a very dangerous precedent to retrade deals that have been made. It cashes in all the good faith reputation built over the years and sends a bad message that Nashville is no longer a place for investment.

Look beyond the headlines. There is political motivation by the current administration to make things look really really bad. They aren’t.

Why does the current administration want things to look really bad when they aren't?  To shoehorn in drastic cuts and changes that otherwise wouldn't be popular unless they could be billed as a 'necessary' remedy?

I didnt even read the article till this morning. Pretty much a lot of the same issues I mentioned. 

I think I read that Metro school ranks in the bottom 5% of school systems in the country and again a lot of it is the states fault as they rank near the bottom as far as school funding goes on the part of state government. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

I didnt even read the article till this morning. Pretty much a lot of the same issues I mentioned. 

I think I read that Metro school ranks in the bottom 5% of school systems in the country and again a lot of it is the states fault as they rank near the bottom as far as school funding goes on the part of state government. 

But you can NOT overlook the damage done by the city government.  More the city's fault than the state's fault.

• Like 1

On 11/17/2019 at 2:12 PM, PaulChinetti said:

The city is booming or it’s a hell hole. It’s very confusing which it is. Based off all of these comments, haha. 

Well with wealth inequality where it's at now, this is a good description for many large cities. You are living high or getting by. Not as much in between now. 

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, PaulChinetti said:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2019/11/19/exclusive-mayor-cooper-nixed-proposal-to-relocate.html

Noooooooooooooo!

I can’t read the story or it’s not loading properly. So I’m not sure of any details. 

it was a bad deal for the city. 

Sources said Briley's potential deal, which was given the codename Project Green, would have seen Metro pay upfront relocation costs to PSC to help finance the move. The administration intended to recoup those costs through increased property taxes on the site, which PSC would have retained the right to develop

Well there we have it, a number. Missed out on $37 million in property taxes. Still wouldn’t fill the hole apparently. But the hole would be much smaller. 

It’s looking like some tax increases are coming. 

So 1.5 percent of the budget. For all those jobs. All that infrastructure. All that notoriety. All the economic activity. Best ROI of all time.

A lot of bluster around the wrong things.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, DeemonBruhn said:

So 1.5 percent of the budget. For all those jobs. All that infrastructure. All that notoriety. All the economic activity. Best ROI of all time.

A lot of bluster around the wrong things.

I don't know, a lot of the businesses that got out of taxes where bars/restaurants on Broadway, they aren't providing tons of jobs or any infrastructure and are raking in money like crazy.

I'd definitely like to see a list of all the business that got their tax bill reduced.

• Confused 1

I think even if Davidson County determined to deny all appeals, there is state-level recourse beyond that https://comptroller.tn.gov/boards/state-board-of-equalization/value-appeals.html 

Should a taxpayer disagree with a decision of a county board of equalization the taxpayer may appeal to the State Board of Equalization for a hearing and determination by an administrative law judge. While there is no specific timeframe for when a hearing will be scheduled before an administrative law judge, the taxpayer and county assessor will receive a notice approximately thirty (30) days in advance of any scheduled hearing. 

An Initial Decision and Order regarding a taxpayer's appeal will be issued by the administrative judge within ninety (90) days of the hearing.  A taxpayer has thirty (30) days from the date of the Initial Decision & Order to appeal to the Assessment Appeals Commission, otherwise the appeal becomes the final decision of the State Board of Equalization.

• Thanks 1