Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

1 hour ago, chris holman said:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/as-nashville-rapidly-expands-residents-worry-the-metropolis-is-growing-too-fast-1529314200

SmartSelect_20191125-165407_Chrome.jpg

im-14521.jpeg

Seattle still leads the pack with the most cranes despite the articles findings

SmartSelect_20191125-165746_Chrome.jpg

I guess my question is why is this article singling out Nashville as if fast growth is unique here? Last time I checked mid sized cities like Austin, Charlotte, Raleigh etc are growing just as fast if not faster and yet I rarely see articles from major news publications regarding growth pains in those cities. I get Nashville is the "it city" and all but not sure what articles like this are meant to accomplish.

Edited by jkc2j
Edit
  • Like 3

36 minutes ago, jkc2j said:

I guess my question is why is this article singling out Nashville as if fast growth is unique here? Last time I checked mid sized cities like Austin, Charlotte, Raleigh etc are growing just as fast if not faster and yet I rarely see articles from major news publications regarding growth pains in those cities. I get Nashville is the "it city" and all but not sure what articles like this are meant to accomplish.

There are crap loads of articles about Austin's growth pains and have been for a long time.  It's not unique to Nashville  or any other fast growing city.  It just seems that Nashville has joined the list of cities that get articles about it.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Mr_Bond said:

So true for all of us, Chris!  Keeping up with the UP postings is getting more difficult for me while the content is better than ever!

I took about a 2-month break from the forum a while back and had 6 or 7 pages of unread posts when I came back.  :tw_open_mouth:

• Like 1

NASCAR Champion's Week activities include a Fan Fest at Riverfront Park from noon to 8 p.m. Tuesday and Wednesday, and from noon to 4 p.m. Thursday.

All 16 of the 2019 Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series playoff drivers will have an evening of burnouts under neon lights on Broadway between First and Second Avenue starting at 6 p.m. Wednesday. After the final burnout, a three-minute fireworks display will take place, with viewing available from Riverfront Park. Fireworks will be launched from the sidewalk corner of Victory Lane and Titans Way.

The Champion's Week festivities also will include free autograph sessions with drivers from 3-4 p.m. Tuesday; 1:30-2:30 and 3-4 p.m. Wednesday; and noon-1 p.m. and 1:30-2:30 p.m. Thursday on Lower Broad/Riverfront Park.

NASCAR Night at The Opry will take place at the Ryman Auditorium starting at 9:30 p.m. Tuesday, with performances by Rascal Flatts, Henry Cho and Ashley McBride.

The NASCAR Cup Series Awards Red Carpet will take place at Music City Center from 4:30-5:45 p.m. Thursday, followed by the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series Awards from 6-8 p.m. These are ticketed events. For more details: 

http://championsweek.nascar.com

Planned road closures during NASCAR Champion's Week:

Monday: The east side of First Avenue just south of Broadway will be cut off. Travel lanes will be coned off from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m.

Wednesday: First Avenue from Demonbreun to Church and Broadway between First Avenue and Second Avenue will be closed from 6 a.m. to 2 a.m. Thursday.

Broadway from First Avenue to Fifth Avenue will be closed from 10-10:30 a.m. and 6:30-8 p.m. From Fourth Avenue to Fifth Avenue will be closed from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.

Second, Third and Fourth Avenue from Demonbreun to Commerce Street will be closed from 6:30-8:30 p.m.

Thursday: East side of First Avenue just south of Broadway will be closed and travel lanes will be coned off from 4-10 p.m.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Nash_12South said:

I know I’m in the minority in my opinion, but I’m very much against shutting down downtown Nashville streets during the work week for various events. We have many areas, not in the heart of downtown, to hold events. Again, I know most folks don’t agree with me....

I with you. I think it was sort of cool at first, but now it seems as if there is some kind of event on a weekly basis that closes something downtown. When they close a main street for multiple days on end, it really does get frustrating for the people that live and work downtown. Many times the police are just downright rude and public works does a poor job of putting out detour signs. 

It seems to always be a "Charlie Foxtrot"... If you dont know what that means, just google it with the word slang. If you were in the military you will know.

• Like 2