Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

19 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Here is a list of the top 50 cities that Nashville will be glad to be #29 on the list.   Atlanta is the top city in the south for this award the Orkin top 50 cities for Bed bugs list. #1 worst city for bed bugs our nation's capital. 

https://www.orkin.com/orkins-2020-bed-bug-cities-list

Twenty years ago I stayed at the Gramercy Park Hotel on a multi week gig for a national client. My first night there, I got the sense the place was not clean, but it was late and I was tired. Woke up the next morning and (I'm nearsighted) looked at the side table... a nasty smear like dried cream of some sort streaked across the top. I dropped my glasses and reached down to pick them up from the floor and saw countless pubic hairs on the bedrail and floor. I got the hell out of there and moved to the Marriott World Trade Center. By the end of the week, the two other attorneys working the case with me were complaining of 'little bites' on their legs, arms, etc. Of course, they were bed bugs they'd encountered from the GPH. It was utterly gross. I threw out almost all of my clothes in my suitcase before getting into the taxi to head to the airport. To be fair, I understand that hotel has undergone a complete overhaul, but I'll never stay there. Memories. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

Twenty years ago I stayed at the Gramercy Park Hotel on a multi week gig for a national client. My first night there, I got the sense the place was not clean, but it was late and I was tired. Woke up the next morning and (I'm nearsighted) looked at the side table... a nasty smear like dried cream of some sort streaked across the top. I dropped my glasses and reached down to pick them up from the floor and saw countless pubic hairs on the bedrail and floor. I got the hell out of there and moved to the Marriott World Trade Center. By the end of the week, the two other attorneys working the case with me were complaining of 'little bites' on their legs, arms, etc. Of course, they were bed bugs they'd encountered from the GPH. It was utterly gross. I threw out almost all of my clothes in my suitcase before getting into the taxi to head to the airport. To be fair, I understand that hotel has undergone a complete overhaul, but I'll never stay there. Memories. 

I stayed at the Gramercy about 15 years ago.  Was not impressed.

36 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

Some of you have hinted that you knew of Microsoft's interest in Nashville. Here's an update from the Tennessean:  https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2020/01/15/nashville-mayor-microsoft-pitched-tennessee-office-local-state/4476922002/

One would hope that the unattended follow up meeting ends up being rescheduled. 

• Like 2

I think if any incentives are to be given the state needs to belly up to the bar and put some money on the table. Its high time Metro stopped giving incentives to all of these companies and the state is very well capable at giving incentives if they want those companies here.

I think they do it in areas of the state that cant afford it and right now Nashville just cant afford it for a while.

From Wallet Hub top 65 worst run cities...Nashville is at 43...Our peers of Austin and Charlotte are among the best run cities.

https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Worst-run-cities-in-America-14082643.php?ipid=newsrecirc#photo-17825843

https://wallethub.com/edu/best-run-cities/22869/

• Like 3

1 hour ago, smeagolsfree said:

I think if any incentives are to be given the state needs to belly up to the bar and put some money on the table. Its high time Metro stopped giving incentives to all of these companies and the state is very well capable at giving incentives if they want those companies here.

I think they do it in areas of the state that cant afford it and right now Nashville just cant afford it for a while.

From Wallet Hub top 65 worst run cities...Nashville is at 43...Our peers of Austin and Charlotte are among the best run cities.

https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Worst-run-cities-in-America-14082643.php?ipid=newsrecirc#photo-17825843

https://wallethub.com/edu/best-run-cities/22869/

Are there no state incentives at all that go to these corporations like Amazon and A/B?

The one thing that politicians never explain well to their voters is that (in TN anyway) the incentives offered to a new company moving to the state are exactly the same incentives available to existing companies. And many take advantage of them. They also never explain what the expected tax revenue will be. The difference is that when a company moves from another state, it always makes a big splash... and incentives (rightly) are mentioned. There's a sizable portion of the electorate who actually think it's stealing. Plus, there's the old (not just Southern) attitude that any 'foreign' company will bring unions and 'big city' problems. I think Cooper's mistake was he played right to that group of voters. So how can he undo his promises gracefully. BTW: No love here for any of the Coopers. His brother is dead weight in Congress. Talk about white privilege. 

• Like 2

The city is giving Amazon up to 2.5 million a year for 7 years.

That's chump change to these giant companies that profit BILLIONS a quarter. There's no way Microsoft is going to move somewhere else for a mere 2.5 million dollars a year. These companies pick where they want to go, then ask for incentives. They may play cities against each other to get every penny, but they know where they want to move to. Look at Amazon continuing to expand in NYC after they "pulled out" of the deal for the HQ2.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Craiger said:

The city is giving Amazon up to 2.5 million a year for 7 years.

That's chump change to these giant companies that profit BILLIONS a quarter. There's no way Microsoft is going to move somewhere else for a mere 2.5 million dollars a year. These companies pick where they want to go, then ask for incentives. They may play cities against each other to get every penny, but they know where they want to move to. Look at Amazon continuing to expand in NYC after they "pulled out" of the deal for the HQ2.

Disagree. In my opinion, I do think these companies do weigh incentives as a big factor. And amazon is hiring 1K jobs in NYC, not 25K. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, nashvylle said:

Disagree. In my opinion, I do think these companies do weigh incentives as a big factor. And amazon is hiring 1K jobs in NYC, not 25K. 

You are absolutely right. Big companies don’t pass on free money. They like Nashville but don’t HAVE to be here. If they have three finalists and one is not offering incentives the one not offering loses.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DDIG said:

Keep your eye on the two articles today about MICROSOFT eyeing Nashville but now uncertain. In my opinion reading between the lines those are shots from the State at Nashville. The State is certainly willing to pitch in the lion's share but will not do it all. Cooper's NO INCENTIVES ever while also killing incentive deals already made is not being well received. The Tennessean article said Microsoft was supposed to meet with Cooper last week and it didn't happen. I would not be shocked if Cooper cancelled on Microsoft and the State is trying to put heat on. 

Look at the end of the day I don't love incentives, but if you aren't doing them you aren't on a level playing field with the rest of the Country. The State is not going to keep sending money to Nashville for recruitment with City leadership that won't even take meetings or try to find a way to help. 

Did he mix the currently announced deals?

Edited by downtownresident

5 minutes ago, downtownresident said:

Did he mix the currently announced deals?

Asurion and SmileDirect Club are two that were approved by council and have been reported on as “in limbo” - with a lot of people in know suggesting they are dead.

1 hour ago, nashvylle said:

I think the HQ2 plan was originally 25k over like 10 years wasn’t it? How many employees do you think amazon hires in NYC in 10 years? It may not be 25k, but it’ll be way more than 1k I’ll bet. All without the city and state paying amazon billions. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, DDIG said:

Asurion and SmileDirect Club are two that were approved by council and have been reported on as “in limbo” - with a lot of people in know suggesting they are dead.

Absolutely disappointing, although if the incentives were approved by council, wouldn’t that tie the mayor’s hands, so to speak?

7 minutes ago, DDIG said:

Tech jobs are a gift. They are the future. The workforce isn’t quite there here but with companies like Oracle and Microsoft considering joining Amazon this is literally an opportunity every other city would cut their arm off for. If we blunder it due to short sighted “principles” it is a generational mistake.

I think the state recognizes this, and I hope they don’t let Cooper blow this. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2