Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

I have a question for you guys regarding retail in the future.

As citizens who grew up shopping at brick and mortar retail ONLY ages...what does the future hold for non-online retail?  Which b&m retail will survive and which will fade?

I'm 54 years old...grew up with only b&m but was young enough when online shopping rose to prominence to accept it...and now mostly ONLY use online shopping.

What are millennials and GenZ folks wanting (because they will shape the next few decades)?  Makes me wonder what will happen with places like Green Hills Mall...and even the retail at places like 5+Broad, Nashville Yards, etc.

Edited by titanhog
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, titanhog said:

I have a question for you guys regarding retail in the future.

As citizens who grew up shopping at brick and mortar retail ONLY ages...what does the future hold for non-online retail?  Which b&m retail will survive and which will fade?

I'm 54 years old...grew up with only b&m but was young enough when online shopping rose to prominence to accept it...and now mostly ONLY use online shopping.

What are millennials and GenZ folks wanting (because they will shape the next few decades)?  Makes me wonder what will happen with places like Green Hills Mall...and even the retail at places like 5+Broad, Nashville Yards, etc.

I'm about the same age and have a similar experience. I think it will be only niche, local retail and retail that benefits from in-person customer service that thrive b&m in the future. Unless some game changer, like a huge increase in transportation costs or a complete collapse of online security, somehow levels the playing field.

• Like 1

I have read a few article recently stating that retail space rents are actually going up even in areas where there are high vacancies. It depend where it is, malls will keep rates high in order to keep out so call riff raff stores that bring down the caliber of the other stores in the mall.

Now there have been a  lot of shopping malls closed and I think that trend will continue, but place like GHM and CSM will be fine, along with the factory stores and malls like Opry Mills has.

A lot depends on what is around those malls too and the household income and spending power of those nearby households. You ae always going to have people that want their stuff right now and want to see it before they buy. One of the downfalls of online buying is the amount of fake reviews a lot of these products get, so its buyer beware.

Places that are heavy tourist and travel destinations will be able to survive the retail issues as well.

I did see one of the rents I think is was Forever 21 or one of those big name brand that were marked for bankruptcy and the store rent in Times Square was 20 million a year.

@titanhog before the Christmas season, where I went to the store once, I hadn't been to a B&M retail store for, conservatively, 6-9 months. 

Everything is online for me personally. I think @DDIG is right, Amazon used to be the top place I would go, but there is so much crap on there now and the site is so painful to use, that I find myself on individual brand sites. Also brands that are good with communication, quick shipping, and answering questions definitely get my repeat business. 

I'm not want to shop all the time though. I will find something I like and buy a few and wear it out until it wears out. My wife I would say does a 50/50 online versus retail.

We are both 36.

• Like 2

I’ll chime in as a 30 y/o male. I only shop online for specialized items. If I’m shopping for clothes, I want to be able to try them on. If I’m shopping for necessities, I want it now and not in 24-48 hours. If I’m shopping for furniture, I need to be able to see the spaciality of it. If I’m shopping for pretty much anything else, I still want to be able to browse the options and get guidance from someone in-store.

I think that online shopping was novel for a while but now that so much of life has become centered around the computer, people will want a respite from that. For as much talk as there always is about millennials preferring the “experience” of things, that concept rarely gets applied to brick and mortar retail, and I think it should.

Then again, I also do my banking in-person at my local branch and pick up my own to-go orders, so maybe I’m just weird.

Edited by fishsticks176
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, fishsticks176 said:

I’ll chime in as a 30 y/o male. I only shop online for specialized items. If I’m shopping for clothes, I want to be able to try them on. If I’m shopping for necessities, I want it now and not in 24-48 hours. If I’m shopping for furniture, I need to be able to see the spaciality of it. If I’m shopping for pretty much anything else, I still want to be able to browse the options and get guidance from someone in-store.

I think that online shopping was novel for a while but now that so much of life has become centered around the computer, people will want a respite from that. For as much talk as there always is about millennials preferring the “experience” of things, that concept rarely gets applied to brick and mortar retail, and I think it should.

Then again, I also do my banking in-person at my local branch and pick up my own to-go orders, so maybe I’m just weird.

You're an old soul ;)

12 minutes ago, DDIG said:

I'm telling y'all some economic development stuff is reaching Defcon 5. Some crazy behavior. The below article is a "know who to blame" notice. 

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2020/01/23/mayor-cooper-is-nashvilles-chief-recruiting.html?iana=hpmvp_nsh_news_headline

That didn’t read necessarily negative. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DDIG said:

It is not negative at all. Nothing to gain from going negative. But it is making sure everyone knows who is absolutely and solely in control on the city side.

Agree, and it was made abundantly clear with the resignation of the director of Economic Development at the end of the year.    In fact, the entire Office of Economic Development department seems to have disappeared from the Nashville.gov website, replaced by a page called "Economic Opportunity (Mayor's Office)".     

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DDIG said:

It is not negative at all. Nothing to gain from going negative. But it is making sure everyone knows who is absolutely and solely in control on the city side.

You're so right about this. The DECD wants to be sure the people of Middle Tennessee know that they're still 'full steam ahead' and Cooper is going to be  a problem going forward, but they won't be to blame for the big fish that gets away. Just trying to get ahead. 

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 1

I don't really know what to make of all the economic development news from the city lately. Maybe Cooper is trying to call different companies' bluffs and attract them without city incentives. To be honest the city component of these economic development deals are fairly minimal. The state is the biggest player in terms of shear monetary value of the incentives.  It seems like I have read that the Nashville incentives are something like $1000/year/employee for five years (those details may be off somewhat), so even a large office of 1000 people will only result in $1 million/year of benefit to the company. In the grand scheme of things the business climate,  cost of living, ability to attract talent, and commercial real estate prices are much, much more significant factors in the overall analysis.  However, companies want to go where they are desired, and if $$$ is the only way to show that desire then maybe we'll lose out on these deals for that reason. 

• Like 3