Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

But they do make a good point about much of what is happening is driving a lot of people further away from downtown and into the suburbs...which I know is a dirty word for urbanists.  But urbanists also need to understand this is what happens when growth like this occurs without providing alternative living spaces for lower middle class...and even middle class families.  We all know most of downtown's new residents are fairly well-off financially...and in the neighborhoods that ring downtown, there are more than likely a lot of renters displaced through gentrification.

Most definitely, we're replacing some really ugly structures with updated structures that improve the city on one hand...but it doesn't come without it's issues on the other hand.

• Like 2

I don't disagree. My quibble was with the title. 

A lot of Nashville is going to continue to get "reshuffled" as the downtown core expands out. Think of all the low 1-2 story warehouses that have been converted or torn down. That stuff doesn't go away, the city still needs warehouse and all the businesses that live there, they are just pushed farther out to the new outskirts of town.

• Like 2

It's Boomer clickbait. And I don't mean that as a slight to those of you that contribute to this board who are, in fact, Baby Boomers. These media outlets know their demographic, and what will get them clicks, views, and social media engagement. It's basically an air raid siren to those that are having a hard time coming to grip the growth, change, and evolution of a city.

• Like 4

Sixty Collective is expanding its Sixty Hotels brand to some new markets including Nashville. No word yet on what location in the city, size, etc. 

More behind the NBJ paywall here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2020/02/19/beyond-new-york-and-l-a-boutique-hotel-brand-wants.html?iana=hpmvp_nsh_news_headline

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, UTgrad09 said:

It's Boomer clickbait. And I don't mean that as a slight to those of you that contribute to this board who are, in fact, Baby Boomers. These media outlets know their demographic, and what will get them clicks, views, and social media engagement. It's basically an air raid siren to those that are having a hard time coming to grip the growth, change, and evolution of a city.

Agreed, as that was an old documentary. The TN is notorious for putting 2 year old articles on their site.

• Like 1

Nashville population Growth SLOWS!

Again a lot of the downtown apartment growth is STR, IMO as are a lot of the tall and SH**ys being built everywhere! These are not real residents.  Next economic turn down and these will be selling or renting for real residents. Most people according to the article are locating to the eastern potion of the county or the outlying counties. Everyone keeps telling me I am an alarmist when I talk about a recession, but it will come and when it does the STR's will be hit hard. Some say the slowdown has already begun and the stock market is artificially inflated. I guess we will have to wait and see what the coronavirus does to the economy as the supply chain has already been hit hard, but Wall Street has ignored it.

Yes, the downtown population growth is on the rise but not near where you would think it would be based on the amount of apartments that have been built. 

As long as the NIMBYS in Joelton and points north and west continue to fight growth, Nashville will run out of viable land for compact subdivisions that many moving here may want.

Sorry sort of all over the place here, but the article states permits are down but gives no numbers to back that up. I do feel that this year we will NOT set a new record. This is based on what I have been seeing as far as permits issued so far this year. But, we have another four months left in this fiscal year.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/local/2020/02/20/nashville-population-growth-slows-nearby-counties/4787943002/

• Like 3

I would take it to Atlanta over driving. I hate the drive to Atlanta.  

Amtrak is almost never faster than driving, but it sure is a lot more pleasant than driving. I’ve taken Amtrak several times to Chicago on two different lines, and it was generally a very nice experience. While Atlanta’s public transit could be better, Uber/Lyft are still options when transit isn’t viable in certain circumstances. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

Again a lot of the downtown apartment growth is STR, IMO as are a lot of the tall and SH**ys being built everywhere! These are not real residents.  Next economic turn down and these will be selling or renting for real residents. Most people according to the article are locating to the eastern potion of the county or the outlying counties. Everyone keeps telling me I am an alarmist when I talk about a recession, but it will come and when it does the STR's will be hit hard. Some say the slowdown has already begun and the stock market is artificially inflated. I guess we will have to wait and see what the coronavirus does to the economy as the supply chain has already been hit hard, but Wall Street has ignored it.

Yes, the downtown population growth is on the rise but not near where you would think it would be based on the amount of apartments that have been built. 

As long as the NIMBYS in Joelton and points north and west continue to fight growth, Nashville will run out of viable land for compact subdivisions that many moving here may want.

Sorry sort of all over the place here, but the article states permits are down but gives no numbers to back that up. I do feel that this year we will NOT set a new record. This is based on what I have been seeing as far as permits issued so far this year. But, we have another four months left in this fiscal year.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/local/2020/02/20/nashville-population-growth-slows-nearby-counties/4787943002/

Not surprised that much of the new residential closer to the core is for STR. Thanks for pulling the high points from this. I don't have an online Tennessean subscription (just think it's silly they moved to Knoxville).

Anyhooo, I'm not surprised the writer(s) didn't offer any stats... as they are so unreliable on population estimates and figures in general. Pointed to an article just a few days ago that gave the 'range' of 10,000 to 30,000 new residents downtown. Um, think they could have narrowed down that range if they'd only known what's driving the numbers. IIRC, the writers never even mentioned that they consulted housing building permits, which would be ONLY one of the sources I'd check. The proportion of those residential units used for STRs can be approximated if the reporters did just a little digging, but apparently the Tennessean staff didn't bother. They could also check auto registrations. US Postal address changes. New utilities hooked up (if there's a person's name vs. a company's name). Property tax rolls. Voter ID rolls.  Lots of ways to come to a reasonable estimate, but not surprised they didn't do that. 

I’d wager that a large percentage of households relocating to Davidson county are either single or child-less, and that a decent percentage of households migrating out of Davidson county have children. This would allow for the units to be occupied while population growth stagnates. It would take four single households to replace a single two-parent two-child household in the overall population number. 

• Like 3

Young singles moving to Nashville probably aren't going to have the money to buy a condo unless they have a job making over $100k.  May not be able to afford a home in E. Nash either.  So...they're probably going to rent somewhere for awhile near downtown.

A young family may try to buy in E. Nash...WeHo...etc.

But an older family with kids that are school age are often going to look for some room and a single family home...and will possibly choose a new home with all the bells and whistles and a backyard in the suburbs with good / great schools in Williamson / Rutherford.

• Like 1

I was able to buy in Chestnut Hill on smaller than $100k salary with a little help from my parents. That was also 5 years ago at this point but there are still places to be found. I think the majority of people moving into CH and WeHo are either single/married or a family that now has 1 kid (Me and the wife). 

I think if there is a downturn a lot of the STRs will either be rented, or if it lasts longer than say a year, the companies will start dumping them on the market. Which would cause a serious glut of houses. Depends what they could charge for rent after building these massive houses.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

Hmmm... just had a chance to read the Tennessean piece and see this video they put together.... https://www.tennessean.com/videos/news/2020/02/20/nashvilles-population-explosion-has-abruptly-slowed/4819148002/

Folks, this is complete garbage. I'm not saying 'the boom' has stopped or that is hasn't.  I'm saying the flimsy evidence the Tennessean gives is utterly fallacious. Back to the article... just because more people are moving to suburbs than before doesn't mean (a) they've stopped moving to Davidson County, especially if they didn't give a single piece of evidence to support that claim. For crying out loud, go to the usual sources that would back the claim that 25%/50%/70% (whatever %) fewer people are moving to Davidson. That's just a false cause... one of a panoply of logical fallacies. There are other simple flaws to their claim... and if you watch the video you will immediately spot where they contradict their own assertion. We really won't know the trajectory of growth until we get a solid census count. If you rely on the local yokels, or should I say the Knoxville ragtimers, you'd never know anything. I guess I really have gotten cranky as I approach the big 5-0.  

• Like 4