Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

The Mayor's Office has announced additions to Metro’s fast track permitting process for affordable housing developers.

This follows the Metro Council having earlier this week amended the original fast track legislation to include inspections and certificates of occupancy by the Department of Codes and Building Safety for qualifying affordable housing developments.

The original fast track legislation was created to add as many affordable housing units throughout Davidson County as possible, and the inclusion of more departments “will get more units open more quickly,” according to a release. Since the initial fast track permitting process was implemented in March 2019, permit wait times for developers have decreased, with some developers experiencing an expedited wait time down from four months to six weeks.

More at Nashville Post here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/people/article/21117445/of-note-21-february-2020

• Like 4

16 hours ago, UTgrad09 said:

People forget that in a lot of the gentrifying neighborhoods, a lot of houses occupied by low income families might have extended family or even two families living in the same unit. You could have a house with 5, 6, 7+ people that was sold, renovated, and moved into by a couple with no kids. 

Yep. This is a well understood trend in gentrifying neighborhoods. These neighborhoods also often experience a loss of units (and population) due to larger homes that had been converted in several apartments being converted back to single family and sold for big $$$. This was happening a lot when I lived in 12 S c. 2006-7.

On 2/19/2020 at 6:28 PM, MLBrumby said:

I'm guessing Dalton, Calhoun, Cartersville, and Marietta (average) 20 minutes at each stop... and you've got 2 hours added to the regular 60 mph trip. 

I've taken the train numerous times to Anaheim and LA from San Diego and it's actually pretty fun. There's no traffic and there is a BAR CAR that is very convenient. I'd say the trip to Union Station in LA is about 3 hours whereas driving take 2-3 hours depending on the time of day. There's around 12 stops but each stop is 5-10 minutes MAX, most are less if there is no on waiting at the station. 

I have no clue why the trip will take 6 1/2 hours though. Possibly due to several sharp curves in the tracks around Chattanooga and North Georgia.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, 21jump said:

I've taken the train numerous times to Anaheim and LA from San Diego and it's actually pretty fun. There's no traffic and there is a BAR CAR that is very convenient. I'd say the trip to Union Station in LA is about 3 hours whereas driving take 2-3 hours depending on the time of day. There's around 12 stops but each stop is 5-10 minutes MAX, most are less if there is no on waiting at the station. 

I have no clue why the trip will take 6 1/2 hours though. Possibly due to several sharp curves in the tracks around Chattanooga and North Georgia.

Thus the need for high speed rail in this country,  but we all know that will never happen ina wide spread mannor. We probably will have flying cars by the time that is a reality. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

Thus the need for high speed rail in this country,  but we all know that will never happen ina wide spread mannor. We probably will have flying cars by the time that is a reality. 

Even with flying cars, I imagine you'd still have defined lanes of traffic, so the benefit of a high speed train would remain, I think.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PaulChinetti said:

Does the fact that Cooper’s plan does NOT include any money for infrastructure work at River North reveal that Oracle is not happening, or would that Infrastructure work come from other sources? I also do not see fairgrounds infrastructure work in there (might have missed it). 

^That is an important development, and I'm glad Nashville is finally starting to realize that designing a city entirely around convenience for cars is a losing proposition if the end goal is to create a vibrant metropolis.

31 minutes ago, PaulChinetti said:

Here's what this bill doesn't do:

• Eliminate existing parking on major corridors.
  • Ban new parking on major corridors.

I'm sure that won't prevent this amendment's opponents from falsely claiming it will do exactly that.  lol

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

^That is an important development, and I'm glad Nashville is finally starting to realize that designing a city entirely around convenience for cars is a losing proposition if the end goal is to create a vibrant metropolis.

I'm sure that won't prevent this amendment's opponents from falsely claiming it will do exactly that.  lol

We could point to the downtown core, which has had this zoning in place for years, as evidence that it won't do exactly that.