Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

On 2/26/2020 at 10:46 AM, markhollin said:

Amid Nashville's hotel boom, employee pipeline is slim.

Story at Community Impact Newspaper here:

https://communityimpact.com/nashville/southwest-nashville/development/2020/02/25/amid-nashville039s-hotel-boom-employee-pipeline-is-slim/

Screen Shot 2020-02-26 at 10.42.46 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-02-26 at 10.43.25 AM.png

The stock market has just crashed today. The recession is here. Don't expect any more new projects (at least large ones) until this recession cycle is over.

16 minutes ago, Binbin98 said:

The stock market has just crashed today. The recession is here. Don't expect any more new projects (at least large ones) until this recession cycle is over.

I think it's more of a correction than a crash. Nashville weathered the last crash fairly well due to its diverse economy. Plus with the coronavirus around the corner, our healthcare sector should be booming!

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, satalac said:

I think it's more of a correction than a crash. Nashville weathered the last crash fairly well due to its diverse economy. Plus with the coronavirus around the corner, our healthcare sector should be booming!

Someone should do a Coronavirus thread, with its impacts on the Nashville economy, if it does become a pandemic.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, satalac said:

This is about the virus and the market's perception that we aren't managing it is what this is about.    Its a global economy and what happens in asia matters to wall street.   If this ripples our way then we are in for some interesting times to say the least. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OnePointEast said:

Someone should do a Coronavirus thread, with its impacts on the Nashville economy, if it does become a pandemic.

I truly agree. I feel like this event is not the end of the world, but something that could affect Nashville's growth in the short term (as well as every other city's)

2 hours ago, dxfret said:

Such wisdom!

Such sarcasm. Seriously what is your problem with me. Nearly every single time I post anything, you always have something negative to say about it or about me in general. Grow the f up, Ironic a 21 year old has to tell you that.

Edited by Binbin98

5 minutes ago, Binbin98 said:

I truly agree. I feel like this event is not the end of the world, but something that could affect Nashville's growth in the short term (as well as every other city's)

Every tourist/leisure city has to be crossing their fingers that this all blows over once it warms up. 

I have been watching the information coming in on Covid 19 since it first hit the news in January . Lots of research done here guys. 

This is already having an impact on convention business here with three cancellations already. The next next two weeks, IMO will be key in seeing what happens here. If there are a lot of community transmission cases, then panic may well happen. The federal governments responce has been dismal  from the start reguardless of what the powers say. I will not even go there, only to say it will be a TOTAL disaster.

Supply chain issues have already severely affected a number of companies and its going to get worse. Japan was already on the verge of recession as is Italy...again. Thoses will have ripple affects on the world economy as well as the supply chain disruptions.

Folks, tourism will be the first thing that will be hurt as people put vacations on hold and stay at home and if the outbreak is severe here and there and areas locked down or in quarantine,  then the economy shuts down much like it has in China.

If you guys want to start a thread, then someone feel free to start one. I have been keeping this to myself or between a few others here. I dont want to come off as an alarmist or nervous Nellie, but I am slowly preparing for a worse case scenario and hoping for the best.

• Like 2

I can only say of one cancellation i have direct knowledge.  My parents were supposed to fly from here next tuesday.  they were going to a convention in Nuremburg, via the BA flight to London.   the convention has been canceled.  so.  on a local level.  he has canceled his flight.  and 2 hotel nights, one monday and one for his return in 2 weeks. he would have spent money on broadway for diner and drinks on monday night and even some on tuesday before his flight.   obviously, this is just 2 people.  but amplify it by thousands.  and that is just people traveling through here to get to another destination. 

23 hours ago, shanky said:

This is about the virus and the market's perception that we aren't managing it is what this is about.    Its a global economy and what happens in asia matters to wall street.   If this ripples our way then we are in for some interesting times to say the least. 

Correct, but to say that the market has crashed is bad information.

• Like 2