Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

I’ll readily admit to being hopefully overly negative, but if we do not reopen our economy back up, fairly soon, any projects not under construction, will be delayed for years. We have many unique qualities that will help us emerge from this ahead of many parts of our country, but much of the US is not going to be as lucky.

You can start throwing rocks now......

• Like 1

2 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

According to the BZA documents I was looking at today, the Hines project at the Reed site would have a 39 story building and it would be a good 60 to 70 feet taller than the taaller Broad West building. Ithink that height is around 430 feet so the 39 story towers at that site would be close to 500 feet.

Even if we didnt get a tall boy we will have a very wide and tall skyline.

500 feet there would stand out quite a bit, and really extend the skyline to the west. 

• Like 3

North, South, East, and West. 
All done today except for South. The East view you get the stadium but not a whole lot past that in the background.
DowntownFromWestNash.thumb.jpg.5a9b90271b1d24a3f39fb0c21255689e.jpg
DowntownFromNorthNash.thumb.jpg.1cf475d2ba44b51cb76ff2085ee7a525.jpg
DowntownFromSouthNash.thumb.jpg.ad1aad57c7b4237b61bafd43b104fb61.jpg
DowntownFromEastNash.thumb.jpg.8ca3dde66a249e55c23ce99ec5c93f2c.jpg
BLESS YOU, BLESS YOU, BLESS YOU! Thanks so much for these pics! (I'm still fairly immobile and rarely get to come back up to Nashville from Metro ATL, for now.) Fantastic shots!

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

You've probably heard by now, but wanted to post this for archives.  2020 ACM Awards will be held in Nashville on September 16 this year. IMHO, never should have been held anywhere else. 

The show will be broadcast live from three Nashville venues: The Ryman Auditorium, Bluebird Cafe and Grand Ole Opry House.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/entertainment/music/2020/04/27/2020-acm-awards-moving-nashville/3032594001/

I think that it is great that the show will be broadcast from Nashville this year, but the Academy of Country Music IS a California based organization, which is why they historically have the awards show out west somewhere each year.

https://www.acmcountry.com

"Hellooooooo!  Did you really believe me? And will you remember this l'il thang in three years?" Mayor John Cooper to his anti-growth, to'mater-plant-growin' base. 

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/politics/2020/04/28/nashville-mayor-john-cooper-budget-calls-property-tax-hike/3028749001/

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, PaulChinetti said:

It's due. Hopefully it stays in the post Corona world and we can actually pay teachers/firefighters/police and still have money to take transit more seriously. 

Also if any business gets out of this I will be pretty PO-ed. 

You mean any already deeply-battered business that pulls up stakes and leaves because it doesn’t want to pay markedly higher taxes ?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PaulChinetti said:

It's due. Hopefully it stays in the post Corona world and we can actually pay teachers/firefighters/police and still have money to take transit more seriously. 

Also if any business gets out of this I will be pretty PO-ed. 

"Any business" is a pretty broad term. I certainly hope many businesses make it through this ordeal, as well as seeing all their employees keep their jobs.  So many are already struggling to keep up with costs, a tax hike like this will spell death for many small/medium businesses, driving many of those jobs away from the city. 

Edited by CaptainJilliams
  • Like 1

I dare say a large amount of business's in Nashville have had it pretty good since 2009 which is where the rates would be returning too. Businesses come and go, I don't think they should be raised up on a pedestal. They have to pull their weight just like everyone else.

Though to specify, my comment was more directed at the businesses that got out of the last tax hike by sic-ing their lawyers on the city.

I think these are the numbers

2005: 4.69%
2009: 4.13%
2012: 4.66%
2013: 4.52%
2017: 3.16%

Of course all of this is moot, if the city could have control of it's own finances without meddling from the state legislature and could raise taxes as it sees fit without having to be revenue neutral. 

• Like 2

Yep... but if you're a flea market merchant who grows 'maters in the backyard and can't stand anybody associated with "the party of Lincoln"... then the man you put all your trust into in the last election suddenly double crosses you... well, there's no words to describe the hate you feel for that little guy with bushy gray eyebrows.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I hope this isn't against the rules.  I have a request for you all.  Would someone(s) please go to city-data and respond to some posters from Birmingham who are saying that there's no difference between Birmingham and Nashville?  I'm a moderator at city-data so I try to stay out of the fray, otherwise I'd tackle it.  I do know that Birmingham punches above its weight when it comes to high-end shopping (Saks), otherwise the post below from a Birmingham booster just seems way off.

Besides from pro sports and Broadway/Grand Ole Opry, I don't see much difference between the two cities at all as far as amenities go. Both have similar upscale retail, entertainment districts, food, luxury hotels etc... One just has the benefit of having a much better reputation. Someone earlier in the thread said that Nashville is more known. I'd dispute that. Both cities have equal name recognition. Everyone in the country knows about both cities and where they are located. They are just known for different reasons.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/city-vs-city/299587-birmingham-vs-nashville-comparisons-12.html

By the way, city-data has pretty strict rules about some things, and one of them is it's against the rules to mention city-data competitors.  City-data considers urbanplanet to be a competitor (I have no idea why) so if/when you post there, please don't mention urbanplanet.  For some reason, skyscraper city and skyscraper page are not considered competitors to city-data.  It doesn't make sense, but I don't make up the rules.

Edited by jmtunafish
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Mechanical Licensing Collective, a new organization dedicated to ensuring songwriters are paid 100% of their royalties they earn from digital streaming and download services is going to open their HQ in Nashville, employing about 100 people. They are looking at office space in the Midtown or Music Row areas.

More at The Tennessean here:

https://www.tennessean.com/story/money/2020/04/29/nashville-picked-new-national-hub-pay-songwriter-royalties-spotify-other-services/3041494001/

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jmtunafish said:

I hope this isn't against the rules.  I have a request for you all.  Would someone(s) please go to city-data and respond to some posters from Birmingham who are saying that there's no difference between Birmingham and Nashville?  I'm a moderator at city-data so I try to stay out of the fray, otherwise I'd tackle it.  I do know that Birmingham punches above its weight when it comes to high-end shopping (Saks), otherwise the post below from a Birmingham booster just seems way off.

Besides from pro sports and Broadway/Grand Ole Opry, I don't see much difference between the two cities at all as far as amenities go. Both have similar upscale retail, entertainment districts, food, luxury hotels etc... One just has the benefit of having a much better reputation. Someone earlier in the thread said that Nashville is more known. I'd dispute that. Both cities have equal name recognition. Everyone in the country knows about both cities and where they are located. They are just known for different reasons.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/city-vs-city/299587-birmingham-vs-nashville-comparisons-12.html

By the way, city-data has pretty strict rules about some things, and one of them is it's against the rules to mention city-data competitors.  City-data considers urbanplanet to be a competitor (I have no idea why) so if/when you post there, please don't mention urbanplanet.  For some reason, skyscraper city and skyscraper page are not considered competitors to city-data.  It doesn't make sense, but I don't make up the rules.

They have got to be kidding … Right? Just looked at the post and it looks as if the Nashville boosters have put The Ham in its rightful place. Not to take away from the Ham, but someone probably made a post about Nashville after visiting here 20 years ago and not even looking at what has happened since then.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

They have got to be kidding … Right? Just looked at the post and it looks as if the Nashville boosters have put The Ham in its rightful place. Not to take away from the Ham, but someone probably made a post about Nashville after visiting here 20 years ago and not even looking at what has happened since then.

Seriously, it's like someone is trying to compare today's Birmingham with 1980 Nashville.  And thanks to you guys for going in there and setting things straight.  You guys are awesome.

For what it's worth, I do wonder why Nashville doesn't have more upscale shopping, like at least another luxury department store.  Birmingham has Saks and Von Maur, but Nashville has just Nordstrom and a higher-end Belk.  Why there's no Von Maur in Nashville is a mystery.

• Like 2