Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

There's not much reason to compare Birmingham and Nashville. I think it's easy to say at this point that Nashville is beyond Birmingham in almost all metrics. 

But that's not to say that there aren't things that I really enjoy about visiting Birmingham. When things start getting back to normal, I might take a daytrip down there to see the Barber Motorsports Museum (unique and world class) and get an excuse to eat at Niki's West.

53 minutes ago, UTgrad09 said:

There's not much reason to compare Birmingham and Nashville. I think it's easy to say at this point that Nashville is beyond Birmingham in almost all metrics. 

But that's not to say that there aren't things that I really enjoy about visiting Birmingham. When things start getting back to normal, I might take a daytrip down there to see the Barber Motorsports Museum (unique and world class) and get an excuse to eat at Niki's West.

Oh, YES to Niki’s West! Love that place. And that also reminds me that on the north side of Birmingham just off I-65 is the Whataburger that is closest to Nashville.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Binbin98 said:

And then 10 years later a pandemic, tornado and derecho all struck Nashville...10 years from now I expect a meteor strike

Unfortunately, my home took a direct hit from the Sunday night storm. Siding ripped off and roof is a total loss. Around me, many trees down, neighbors car that was parked in the driveway got blown into garage door, tree fell on truck, wooden fences dismantled, etc. siding, shingles, tree limbs, trash, debris, everywhere. Most folks got a lot of it cleaned up today. Not as bad as the tornado, but ughh. I spent the day making temporary repairs to roof and siding. And that's the report from Lower Antioch

• Like 1
  • Sad 15

This seems a good time to bring up the lack of public road courses in Tennessee. The only two I know of are at Memphis Motorsports Park (incorporating the dragstrip) and the infield course at Nashville Superspeedway, and it's unlikely anyone will be using either any time soon.

Of course, there are a few private ones:

• Like 1

On 5/1/2020 at 11:18 PM, UTgrad09 said:

Ive got some friends that live in Bessemer.  We usually go to Good People Brewery in downtown Birmingham or Avondale Brewing Co..  Post Office Pies in Avondale makes a mean pizza, and the Bright Star Greek steak and seafood house in Bessemer is one of the best restaurants Ive ever been to.   I grew up in Alcoa near 3 aluminum plants and being in Birmingham reminds me of that with all of the smelters around town.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, grilled_cheese said:

What a time to be alive, a place on Dickerson Rd has been named to a hot list.

You have to give it more credit than that. Dickerson Rd has consistently been at the top of best places to "do something strange for some change" for years!

• Haha 3

So - I spent this Mother Day Weekend in Nashville.  First time I been to the city for any length of time and was impressed at how Built up the Center City Areas were with commercial and residential construction.  A great urban feel indeed, felt more built up than where I am in Charlotte even though it’s smaller by population.  I have a few questions though:

1 - The Traffic.  I’ve heard horrible stories about traffic in the Nashville Metro (and believe them now that my family member has verified it) but I honestly don’t understand why?  I didn’t see too much traffic due to the Pandemic effects but What is your take on the Interstate Highways, Secondary Road Network and Bus System.  

2 - Nashville has a staggering amount of high rise hotels, enviable to Charlotte (which would like a W, Loews & Four Seasons hotels) but what do you think the business outlook is for all these hotels located in one city?  Is there enough business to keep them busy or it mostly tourism dependent?

• Like 2