Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

Two of Nashville's most prolific home-selling agencies, Parks Realty and Village Real Estate, dissolved their merger just months after celebrating a union. 

Company officials declined to disclose the details of the breakup. They both said troubles emerged as they integrated their operations.

The COVID-19 business shutdown, and resulting tightening of the housing market, was not singled out as a cause. 

"It became apparent that the timing was not right for a merger," officials said in a joint statement. "While this result isn’t what either of us intended, we feel proud of the process we went through and our mutual respect for each other remains intact."

In January, the firms celebrated the merger creating the largest single Nashville-based real estate company. The union would have brought together 1,100 agents who negotiate $4 billion in sales a year. 

More behind the Tennessean paywall here:

https://www.tennessean.com/story/money/2020/05/13/parks-realty-village-real-estate-merger-falls-through/3119160001/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What was the potential possibility of Tesla doing something in Nashville?  I see where Musk is now saying he's probably going to move his HQ to either Texas or Nevada...and someone also reported Tulsa as an option (which was weird to hear).

Does this leave Nashville out of the equation...or was our Tesla "news" regarding something other than the HQ?

Edited by titanhog

1 hour ago, titanhog said:

What was the potential possibility of Tesla doing something in Nashville?  I see where Musk is now saying he's probably going to move his HQ to either Texas or Nevada...and someone also reported Tulsa as an option (which was weird to hear).

Does this leave Nashville out of the equation...or was our Tesla "news" regarding something other than the HQ?

Tesla has shown interest in building their truck here. I’d kill for the hq!!

• Like 3

I suspect there will be future opportunities for Tesla factories in Nashville. With this latest factory, Fremont, Shanghai, and Germany they will still only have the capacity to make ~2.5-3 million cars/year worldwide. They may very well add another US factory or two in the next 5 years. 

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, rolly said:

What's the best location for a mega/giga/zettafactory in Middle Tennessee? Maybe down by the Saturn plant... close to I-65 / I-840.

It would have to be a few miles south of 840 on 65 because it's very hilly around that intersection.  Further east on 840 towards MBoro or Wilson Co it flattens out.  So along 840 would totally make sense.  Infrastructure is already there versus along 65 which would need new intersections.   I know the area along 840 just south of Franklin (Arno, College Grove, Arrington) doesn't have city sewer so that has been a hindrance for large scale developments.  

• Like 2

Hopefully Cooper has learned to appreciate the tourism industry through this crisis.  I mean, I agree that residents should come first and that a city should always be evolving and trying to diversify it's economy where it can.  But man... before any of that happens ya gotta know who you are and where your meals come from.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

Hopefully Cooper has learned to appreciate the tourism industry through this crisis.  I mean, I agree that residents should come first and that a city should always be evolving and trying to diversify it's economy where it can.  But man... before any of that happens ya gotta know who you are and where your meals come from.  

He basically comes across as someone who hates tourism and hates big business (two of the reasons Nashville is growing...and two of the entities that can help the city financially).  Pretty sure he's getting a lesson in just how wrong he's been.

3 hours ago, jmtunafish said:

The 2019 city population estimates were released today by the Census.  As can be expected, the bulk of Tennessee's fastest-growing cities are in Middle Tennessee.  The ones in the Nashville MSA are in bold, the ones in Middle Tennessee are in italics.

rank...city...2019 pop...1-yr change

1. Nashville...670,820...3,814
  2. Memphis...651,073...-31
  3. Knoxville...187,603...241
  4. Chattanooga...182,799...881
  5. Clarksville...158,146...1,770
  6. Murfreesboro...146,900...5,458
  7. Franklin...83,097...2,070
  8. Jackson...67,191...239
  9. Johnson City...66,906...147
  10. Bartlett...59,440...3737

Murfreesboro actually has a legit shot at being the state's 3rd largest city in the not-too-distant future.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, titanhog said:

He basically comes across as someone who hates tourism and hates big business (two of the reasons Nashville is growing...and two of the entities that can help the city financially).  Pretty sure he's getting a lesson in just how wrong he's been.

Murfreesboro actually has a legit shot at being the state's 3rd largest city in the not-too-distant future.

Yeah, I don't get why Knoxville (especially) and Chattanooga haven't shown greater y-o-y numbers. Our downtown has been booming for the past 10 years. And there are hundreds of new neighborhoods underway in the inner ring and next-outer-rings. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

I think Cooper knows that the key to rolling back any portion of the huge property tax increase he's proposed is getting tourism rolling again, and to do that he needs Butch Spyridon. Thank god we have Butch promoting us, he's been the driving force behind the tourism industry's explosion in the last few years. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, titanhog said:

I hadn't thought about that, but you're right.  If current trends continue, in 10 years Murfreesboro will leapfrog over Clarksville, Chattanooga, and Knoxville to become the state's 3rd largest city.

Honestly, I don't see Knoxville growing much.  Knox County, yes.  Knoxville city, no.  The trend in Tennessee's largest cities seems to be families leaving the cities for suburbs and selling their homes to childless singles or couples.  I saw that in my old neighborhood in Knoxville where the local elementary school has only about half the enrollment it did just 20 years ago even though every house is still occupied and even with a few new infills.  In the case of cities like Murfreesboro and Franklin, they're surrounded by wide open spaces that can be annexed first and then developed later.

• Like 1