Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

I've lived in Rutherford County for almost 30 years...and it's crazy how much land M'boro has annexed.    I recently moved from Smyrna to M'boro (November) and live fairly close to the M'boro airport.

In Smyrna...I was a 20 minute drive to Nashville.  You can also get from the Avenue area of M'boro to downtown Nashville in just over 30 minutes on a good day.  However...where I live in M'boro can easily take an hour to get to Nashville.  That's how spread out M'boro has become.

On 5/21/2020 at 7:06 PM, MLBrumby said:

Yeah, I don't get why Knoxville (especially) and Chattanooga haven't shown greater y-o-y numbers. Our downtown has been booming for the past 10 years. And there are hundreds of new neighborhoods underway in the inner ring and next-outer-rings. 

My brother is rehabbing his rent house in Soddy Daisy for sale, and told me a few days ago that the average time on the market for that Chatt'burb is 3 days. Good school district there.

Edited by dragonfly
  • Like 2

On 5/21/2020 at 3:43 PM, jmtunafish said:

The 2019 city population estimates were released today by the Census.  As can be expected, the bulk of Tennessee's fastest-growing cities are in Middle Tennessee.  The ones in the Nashville MSA are in bold, the ones in Middle Tennessee are in italics.

Here are the 30 largest-gaining cities.  Of the 30 largest-gaining cities in Tennessee, 21 are in Middle Tennessee, 6 are in East Tennessee, and 3 are in West Tennessee.

rank...city...1-year change...2019 pop.

Hartsville...251...11,284

The Hartsville number is deceiving, as it's Metropolitan Trousdale County; so, that number is for the entire county.

On 5/21/2020 at 4:43 PM, jmtunafish said:

The 2019 city population estimates were released today by the Census.  As can be expected, the bulk of Tennessee's fastest-growing cities are in Middle Tennessee.  The ones in the Nashville MSA are in bold, the ones in Middle Tennessee are in italics.

rank...city...2019 pop...1-yr change

1. Nashville...670,820...3,814
  2. Memphis...651,073...-31
  3. Knoxville...187,603...241
  4. Chattanooga...182,799...881
  5. Clarksville...158,146...1,770
  6. Murfreesboro...146,900...5,458
  7. Franklin...83,097...2,070
  8. Jackson...67,191...239
  9. Johnson City...66,906...147
  10. Bartlett...59,440...37
  11. Hendersonville...58,113...479
  12. Kingsport...54,127...121
  13. Smyrna...51,586...838
  14. Collierville...51,040...369
  15. Cleveland...45,504...269
  16. Spring Hill...43,769...2,314
  17. Gallatin...42,918...2,308
  18. Brentwood...42,783...216
  19. Columbia...40,335...973
  20. Germantown...39,225...74
  21. Mount Juliet...37,029...1,368
  22. Lebanon...36,479...1,108
  23. LaVergne...35,716...13
  24. Cookeville...34,706...662
  25. Morristown...30,193...166
  26. Maryville...29,742...400
  27. Oak Ridge...29,156...114
  28. Bristol...26,987...119
  29. Farragut...23,778...878
  30. Shelbyville...22,101...203

Thanks for the data. So TN could well have 20+ cities over 50K by the end of the next decade. Those numbers for Lavergne and Hendersonville are surprising on the downside, as I've read in the past there are over 2,000 lots approved in H'ville, and Lavergne is in the middle of that M'boro-Nashville high growth corridor, adjacent to the fastest growing part of Davidson County. Does Lavergne just not have big enough corporate boundaries? 

2 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

Thanks for the data. So TN could well have 20+ cities over 50K by the end of the next decade. Those numbers for Lavergne and Hendersonville are surprising on the downside, as I've read in the past there are over 2,000 lots approved in H'ville, and Lavergne is in the middle of that M'boro-Nashville high growth corridor, adjacent to the fastest growing part of Davidson County. Does Lavergne just not have big enough corporate boundaries? 

Not sure that Lavergne has a whole bunch more land to build large-scale developments.  With Percy Priest on their east side...Davidson County on the north...Nolensville on the west and Smyrna on the south...they're getting tapped out.

• Like 1

On 5/21/2020 at 4:26 PM, BnaBreaker said:

Hopefully Cooper has learned to appreciate the tourism industry through this crisis.  I mean, I agree that residents should come first and that a city should always be evolving and trying to diversify it's economy where it can.  But man... before any of that happens ya gotta know who you are and where your meals come from.  

Like Nashville's economy isn't diverse. Where does this meme come from?  The majority of the people in Nashville do not work in the tourism industry.

I knew mayor Cooper would run off Tesla. 

He has the most stellar portfolio: Oracle, Microsoft, Tesla, an unnamed Fortune 50 company. 

I don't think Nashville has had a business project announcement or relocation since he was sworn in.

Edited by JoeyX
  • Sad 1

Good, get their asses out of there for everybody's sake. This is ridiculous.

Those are people who just don't care. They know they will be arrested- they're on video committing the offenses. I could never understand being so numb to consequences.

Man,  be good out there, @downtownresident. I hate how thousands are protesting police brutality and racism by lashing out destructively and putting residents like yourself at risk.

I wonder how many of those protesters doing the damage to the Courthouse (vandalizing, shattering windows, arson) are Davidson County residents? Time will tell. Surely it would be illogical to damage property they foot the bill for... but I digress.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, BnaBreaker said:

It appeared to me on WKRN's live feed that it was a very small fire set just inside the entrance, so hopefully they're able to put that out without any significant damage taking place.

They broke in some windows on the first floor...went inside and set it on fire.  Once SWAT got there, I think they were able to get it out...but I'd say at least a few offices on the first floor are totally destroyed.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, downtownresident said:

This is an absolute disaster. Mayor Cooper has ordered a 10pm curfew. Praying they stay away from Broadway. I live two blocks to the south so I’m pretty stressed right now. 

They’ve had to deploy tear gas at the courthouse, and per the police scanner, there’s another fire at 6th and Church. 

Be safe.  I have a feeling they'll try to burn something else down before long.  They've already vandalized the MCC...and are surrounding the Central Precinct.  Hope they don't try to burn any of Lower Broadway down.

• Like 1

I'm of the opinion big cities should ban highway access to non-residents. Yes, yes, I know that's hard to enforce, but a lot of the people causing the trouble are rumored to come from surrounding areas.

If this keeps getting worse then I think they need to shut down all roadways leading into Davidson County.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Nash_12South said:

A loud boom in 12South a few minutes ago set Nextdoor on fire with concern. This could be rough night.....our family, on both sides, is texting us to flee Nashville for safety......

My instinct says to stay where you are and avoid getting in a car where you're at risk of being surrounded.

Can you manage to stay in your place for a couple days or so?

1 minute ago, Tennessine said:

My instinct says to stay where you are and avoid getting in a car where you're at risk of being surrounded.

Can you manage to stay in your place for a couple days or so?

We are not leaving. Our neighborhood has been as peaceful as usual, except for the boom....

4 minutes ago, downtownresident said:

They’re breaking windows out of some of the bars on Broadway. 

Edit: 30 people looting Margaritaville at 4th and Broadway now. 

A group is also headed down second destroying bars. 

Ten years ago, Nashville came together after the Great Flood, and you never heard of any looting after billions of dollars in damage and 3 dozen lives were lost.

Now this.

What does this say about Nashville?

• Like 1