Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

And this from the WSJ today:  https://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-existing-home-sales-rose-20-7-in-june-11595426758?mod=searchresults&page=1&pos=1

Some of the hottest markets in May, which would be reflected in the June sales data, were Phoenix, Nashville, Tenn., Jacksonville, Fla., and Austin, Texas, said Danielle Hale, chief economist at Realtor.com. News Corp, parent of The Wall Street Journal, operates Realtor.com.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

I hope you all are ready for the onslaught of people moving from larger cities affected by the rioting. It seems the number one topic among my fellow attorneys in other cities is "where can we move?"  They're serious. With that in mind, apparently the developers who do deep market research are aware that there will be a steady stream of people in the foreseeable future. Here's a snippet from a NBJ article vis-a-vis Nashville's apartment development. I've seen this before in my hometown in the 1980s. Get ready, because it's not going to stop. And it's going to come at the cost to other cites. Also, I'm hearing that Oracle is back on the front burner... but in a suburban area. Clearly, they don't want to deal with John Cooper.  Are you listening Williamson, Rutherford, Sumner, Wilson Counties?  You might be surprised at the county the RUMORS say they're looking at. 

As of June, builders were creating 13,500 apartments across the Greater Nashville region, according to a CoStar Group analysis. That volume is neck-and-neck, or even ahead of, peak construction activity seen in 2016 and 2017.

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2020/07/22/hoar-construction-aspire-gulch-apartments.html

Thankfully Cooper is temporary, and is shaping up to be a one term mayor. The Nashville Scene detailed Cooper’s troubles in a recent piece they published: https://www.nashvillescene.com/news/columns/article/21140717/metropolitik-stuck-in-the-middle-with-coop

Key quote: “Cooper’s lopsided victory in the next month’s runoff, with almost 70 percent of the vote, was interpreted in some circles — including by some Cooper advisers — as a mandate of sorts. But for what? Restructuring long-term debt? Not giving incentive deals? Neither of those is the kind of issue that builds broad coalitions. What’s clear after almost a year in office, however, is that the only mandate Cooper has is to not be David Briley — a task he fulfilled roughly the minute he took his oath of office.” 

It seems that Cooper let his lopsided runoff victory go to his head, given some of the comments that have come out. Hopefully the tornado and Covid-19 have humbled him a bit, so that we can continue growth once this is all past us. I’m encouraged by the amount of office space, and residential units under construction and in the planning stages. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, downtownresident said:

Thankfully Cooper is temporary, and is shaping up to be a one term mayor. The Nashville Scene detailed Cooper’s troubles in a recent piece they published: https://www.nashvillescene.com/news/columns/article/21140717/metropolitik-stuck-in-the-middle-with-coop

Key quote: “Cooper’s lopsided victory in the next month’s runoff, with almost 70 percent of the vote, was interpreted in some circles — including by some Cooper advisers — as a mandate of sorts. But for what? Restructuring long-term debt? Not giving incentive deals? Neither of those is the kind of issue that builds broad coalitions. What’s clear after almost a year in office, however, is that the only mandate Cooper has is to not be David Briley — a task he fulfilled roughly the minute he took his oath of office.” 

It seems that Cooper let his lopsided runoff victory go to his head, given some of the comments that have come out. Hopefully the tornado and Covid-19 have humbled him a bit, so that we can continue growth once this is all past us. I’m encouraged by the amount of office space, and residential units under construction and in the planning stages. 

Yeah...if you do like George HW Bush and say "no new taxes"...and then have to raise taxes...you're doomed.  Pretty sure Cooper's days are numbered.  Wish we could get him out early.

Edited by titanhog
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, smeagolsfree said:

While I was pretty pumped about Nashville being the front runner for this, I'm somehow ok with us not getting this. Elon seems to be the kind of person who would up and relocate at the drop of a hat. I mean, it will likely be a boon for Austin, but Nashville still has a ton going on and it's not going to kill us that we didn't get it. I hope it's just not an indication of future business moves due to our current local politicians. 

6 hours ago, satalac said:

While I was pretty pumped about Nashville being the front runner for this, I'm somehow ok with us not getting this. Elon seems to be the kind of person who would up and relocate at the drop of a hat. I mean, it will likely be a boon for Austin, but Nashville still has a ton going on and it's not going to kill us that we didn't get it. I hope it's just not an indication of future business moves due to our current local politicians. 

Tesla's new factory outside of Austin is on 2,100 acres.  That's about the same size as the GM plant in Spring Hill.  The Nissan plant in Smyrna sits on less than 900 acres.  Is there a single site in the Nashville area that's 2,000 acres and flat?  There's probably a TVA supersite near Memphis large enough, but I don't think there's anything like that around Nashville.  Maybe Clarksville?  Anyway, like you said, it's probably just as well.  Personally, I wish Tesla had chosen Tulsa instead of Austin as I think Tulsa could use the economic boost more than Austin.  But I think Elon wanted Austin all along.  A hip and trendy city for a hip and trendy company.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

It doesn't seem like it would really affect anything?  Every city in the country outside of Austin, Kansas City, Charlotte, and SLC don't have it either, and I'm no expert or anything but I've never heard anyone ever mention the presence of Google Fiber as being a factor for choosing a city for relocation.

• Like 2

Just wondering. Here in Nooga we have fiber optic cable and internet from our Electric Power Board. Countywide... and now extending into Sequatchie and Bradley. It's very nice. It's given Xfinity a reason to try and be competitive. And they're losing the competition. 

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, MLBrumby said:

Just wondering. Here in Nooga we have fiber optic cable and internet from our Electric Power Board. Countywide... and now extending into Sequatchie and Bradley.

I may be mistaken, but isn't Chattanooga the first city in the country to have city wide fiber optic internet?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, downtownresident said:

I would say it isn’t bad at all. Google fiber internet is staying here, and I’d imagine this will happen in other cities. 

Exactly.  This is just the TV service.  Not the Fiber internet service.  Google has youtube tv which is what they are concentrating on now.

Edited by japan
  • Like 2

Too many TV services anyway. Apple TV, Google TV, You Tube TV, etc. That is not even mentioning the horrible satellite services and overpriced cable companies out there. We will probably we a number of them go under in the very near future as the number of people cut the cord and cut expenses. Most of these companies are way overpriced for what you get.

I cut the Direct TV cord paying 90 something bucks a month and now, just get an over the air antenna, plus a Roku, Amazon Fire stick, plus what you get with Amazon Prime. Just get a Amazon recast and record over the air and make the one time investment for these tech items and maybe one or two monthly services like Netflix or Philo and you are golden. There are tons of free programing stations out there.

I dont watch sports so its real easy for me. Its just easier to see who won a game and see the highlights than to waste hours watching a game. Just the way I am wired. Never ever watched sports.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

The EPB has been advertising for years that ours is the first city-wide "Gig" and that goes back to before 2011 when we got ours installed. It's almost been a challenged to keep routers that can keep up with everything that my family streams. 

That's probably what I'm remembering. I lived in Chattanooga in 08/09 and remember hearing it had the fastest internet speeds in the country.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

Too many TV services anyway. Apple TV, Google TV, You Tube TV, etc. That is not even mentioning the horrible satellite services and overpriced cable companies out there. We will probably we a number of them go under in the very near future as the number of people cut the cord and cut expenses. Most of these companies are way overpriced for what you get.

I cut the Direct TV cord paying 90 something bucks a month and now, just get an over the air antenna, plus a Roku, Amazon Fire stick, plus what you get with Amazon Prime. Just get a Amazon recast and record over the air and make the one time investment for these tech items and maybe one or two monthly services like Netflix or Philo and you are golden. There are tons of free programing stations out there.

I dont watch sports so its real easy for me. Its just easier to see who won a game and see the highlights than to waste hours watching a game. Just the way I am wired. Never ever watched sports.

I agree, but unfortunately for me I almost watch sports exclusively so it's just easier for me to pay for ATT U-VERSE. And since, I mostly work nights and weekends I have to record almost every game which is easy to do through their app. My hope is that the rise of all these streaming services drives down the cost of cable and satellite subscriptions.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, 21jump said:

I agree, but unfortunately for me I almost watch sports exclusively so it's just easier for me to pay for ATT U-VERSE. And since, I mostly work nights and weekends I have to record almost every game which is easy to do through their app. My hope is that the rise of all these streaming services drives down the cost of cable and satellite subscriptions.

They have you right where they want you, Over their barrel to do with you as they wish. At some point you will have to determine is it really worth the price. For me I just could not think of viewing sports for that amount of time. Working form home has its benefits, but the TV stays off for the better part of the day. I really did a audit of what I watched and realized that 95% of the stations they were offering I didnt ever tune into, so sacrificing was a no brainer. Glad I am not a sports addict. 

Besides where I live ATT U-VERSE was not even available. Com cast was limited service, Charter stops 2 miles from me and that left Dish and Direct TV. Waste of money. I actually get 50 channels OTA. If ever they ae able to start a low cost sports programing service, these big companies are DOOOMED!

• Thanks 1

My girlfriend of the time and I broke up in mid 2001. At that point, I didn't have anything (not even a mattress to sleep on), so I was forced to stop watching cable and television, in general. Closing in on 20 years of not watching television and it feels good, man. I do watch a lot of YouTube when I absolutely HAVE to watch something, but I don't think it's that bad at all.

I definitely watch way more on YouTube than tv, besides sports, when those where a thing.

The only thing available over here forever was Comcast, recently AT&T has started advertising their gig speeds internet here. I just have no desire to talk to Comcast and try to cancel and deal with all of that, every time I talk to them it's a multi-call process because they screw something up, Every. Single. Time.

• Like 1

Very disappointed and surprised that Google Fiber is ending live tv offering to focus on on Internet only.   Apparently the cost of acquiring broadcast was too expensive even for Google .  I’m not a fan of streaming services for live broadcast tv.  As a result we are are dropping Google Fiber and going back to the dreaded Comcast. The pricing is almost exactly the same.  

Edited by dxfret