smeagolsfree

Nashville Bits and Pieces

1 hour ago, e-dub said:

Someone on Reddit shared this.

Sev

I'm fascinated by old maps, especially of cities. I call it 'map forensics'. Several things I notice from this one which I guess was from around 1954-57.

MLB's Top 10 in this map forensics exercise.

1. The Lafayette "connector" from Murfreesboro to 8th Avenue South was finished. Wasn't that sometime in the late 1940s? 

2. Segregation was still institutional (officially ended 1954, but in Nashville several years later... 1957-1961)

3. James Robertson Parkway was completed (wasn't that around 1955?). Tennessee Supreme Court building was completed around 1952. Victory Memorial bridge finished in late 1950s. And Deaderick Street went straight to the Woodland St. Bridge.

4. Tennessee School for the Blind was at that location until when?

5. You can see the Blakemore to 21st Avenue and the 'gap' that existed to Wedgewood before that was built. I've learned from this board that it was around 1970 (I think). Of course, Magnolia wasn't there either. 

6.  Was Hopkinsville considered to be a more important city than Clarksville? Or was it notated there because it's in another state? Was that map-printing convention? 

7.  Where did 3rd Avenue North go? Dead end at the river?  Metrocenter wasn't built until the 1970s. 

8. Fairfax Avenue had a connector between West End and Murphy Road. 

9. Nothing is named "Music... " anything

10. Despite the plethora of unaligned streets, the core was so much tighter than after the expressways came through there. They truly did add a 'gulf' between sections that formerly were 'closer'. Older maps show much more clearly the 'logic' of why streets were laid out the way they were. No doubt, a key factor outside the CBD was topography, old farm routes (e.g. Woodycrest, which I think is Polk now), railroads and developers of neighborhoods not working in sync with each other. 

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, e-dub said:

Someone on Reddit shared this.

bhyh2ht4odn51.thumb.jpg.b7c0395a1d7c019fa60f7016e7f3f507.jpg

Edited by MLBrumby
Because it did not come over in my post above
  • Like 2

Not important, but the media/PR for the event is being handled by a local group GS&F. Good to see local companies being involved.

Personally I just don't see this course happening as designed. I think having the bridge included in the track is iconic, but think it puts a major strain on the city. Long Beach and Tornto each have street circuits, but looking at some aerials of those circuits they take up a lot less traveled corridors (it appears). Logistically it will be a nightmare setting up and breaking down the course (safe barriers, catch fencing, welding manhole/storm sewer covers). Looks like the portion of the track across the river will be totally circling an approved development project (94 Peabody- RMH House) that has potential to be under construction (which I bet they would not shut down construction for the race), and directly adjacent to the Swerdling Hotel (any idea if this would break ground prior to the race date? Also it looks like this track cuts off all access to the Exxon Station and the LaQuinta and Comfort Inn. 

One last note, it is very interesting that a press conference announcing the race on city streets does not have any reported city official(s) in attendance?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Bos2Nash said:

Not important, but the media/PR for the event is being handled by a local group GS&F. Good to see local companies being involved.

Personally I just don't see this course happening as designed. I think having the bridge included in the track is iconic, but think it puts a major strain on the city. Long Beach and Tornto each have street circuits, but looking at some aerials of those circuits they take up a lot less traveled corridors (it appears). Logistically it will be a nightmare setting up and breaking down the course (safe barriers, catch fencing, welding manhole/storm sewer covers). Looks like the portion of the track across the river will be totally circling an approved development project (94 Peabody- RMH House) that has potential to be under construction (which I bet they would not shut down construction for the race), and directly adjacent to the Swerdling Hotel (any idea if this would break ground prior to the race date? Also it looks like this track cuts off all access to the Exxon Station and the LaQuinta and Comfort Inn. 

One last note, it is very interesting that a press conference announcing the race on city streets does not have any reported city official(s) in attendance?

I watched the press conference, and Mayor Cooper / Butch Spyridon from the CVB were both there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/15/2020 at 9:12 PM, PaulChinetti said:

Woof, gross. I thought all the liberal cities where hell holes though!? Haha

If you look outside Davidson County and take the urbanized population of Nashville proper (not including that massive 13-county MSA, only the densely-populated Nashville-Franklin-Murfreesboro-Hendersonville corridor), I would argue Nashville is pretty conservative compared to most urbanized areas in the U.S.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Tennessine said:

If you look outside Davidson County and take the urbanized population of Nashville proper (not including that massive 13-country MSA, only the densely-populated Nashville-Franklin-Murfreesboro-Hendersonville corridor), I would argue Nashville is pretty conservative compared to most urbanized areas in the U.S.

Yeah but they said Nashville, but I guess they could mean Franklin/Brentwood. Moving from LA to Brentwood doesn’t seem likely though. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PaulChinetti said:

Yeah but they said Nashville, but I guess they could mean Franklin/Brentwood. Moving from LA to Brentwood doesn’t seem likely though. 

If someone moves from LA, there's nearly as good a chance they'll live in Brentwood as they'll live in Nashville...or maybe they'll live in Franklin...Leiper's Fork, etc.  When people move to Nashville, it's the metro many of them are moving to.  Not all 5000+ Amazon workers are going to want to live in Davidson County.   That's the beauty of Nashville.  We have close-by alternatives that can give you land...great schools...etc.

• Like 4

On 9/15/2020 at 10:48 AM, BnaBreaker said:

I understand the urge to keep taxes low, but you've got to allow for flexibility depending on the situation for gods sake.  What is even the point of preventing your future self from raising taxes beyond a certain point?  You're just shooting yourself in the foot.  Do people not understand that taxes serve a vital purpose?  

Does this happen if Cooper doesn't push through the ridiculously high 35%?  Come on.  15% to 20% to start with sounds way more palatable.  How many missteps can a first term mayor make?  Safe to say he won't be getting a second term.

14 hours ago, Bos2Nash said:

Personally I just don't see this course happening as designed.  Logistically it will be a nightmare setting up and breaking down the course (safe barriers, catch fencing, welding manhole/storm sewer covers).

Groups like IndyCar have a lot of experience converting streets into road courses and vice versa, so I would expect it to be a pretty smooth transition. They've been doing this for a long, long time.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, titanhog said:

If someone moves from LA, there's nearly as good a chance they'll live in Brentwood as they'll live in Nashville...or maybe they'll live in Franklin...Leiper's Fork, etc.  When people move to Nashville, it's the metro many of them are moving to.  Not all 5000+ Amazon workers are going to want to live in Davidson County.   That's the beauty of Nashville.  We have close-by alternatives that can give you land...great schools...etc.

^ That's what I was getting at

Shapiro is not a pundit I listen to, but I admire him for passing over someplace in Texas for Nashville, citing the talent available. He's not a freak show like Alex Jones, so this is not something I mind having in my neck of the woods. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, titanhog said:

Plenty of places to live for sure. But the article was talking about moving his company. I doubt the company is going to move to Leiper's Fork, I could be wrong though.

@Tennessine This is all I can think of when I think of Ben Shapiro, and now how he didn't understand the song WAP...

NSFW language at the end. 

Edit, I forgot how much this video makes me laugh. Needed that this morning.

Edited by PaulChinetti
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, PaulChinetti said:

Plenty of places to live for sure. But the article was talking about moving his company. I doubt the company is going to move to Leiper's Fork, I could be wrong though.

I would imagine he wants to be in Nashville...then again...I could see him basing it in Williamson County.  Either way...thankfully, Nashville is a diverse metro...and when people talk of moving to Nashville, they're not always talking about the city-proper.  I'm actually a person who appreciates different political views (I believe it's designed to keep all sides honest)...and I also believe in compromise.  This is why Nashville (city) being majority liberal but the metro being overwhelmingly conservative is not a bad thing (IMO).  Only when one side or the other demands it be "my way or the highway" do we start having problems.

Edited by titanhog
  • Like 1

He is an orthodox Jew and has mentioned that he chose to live near his synagogue in LA (I think he has a young daughter at Hebrew school there). Of course, the traffic there is a much greater factor about proximity, but I also heard his wife does not like to drive. Don't know exactly how that factors into their choice b/n WillCo/Nashville. Does Brentwood and/or Franklin have a synagogue?  I also don't see him as a wide open field, exurban sort of person. More like a Green Hills/Belmont/West End sort of guy. 

UPDATE: I heard his program on my drive home today. Shapiro clarified that his family will be living in Florida, while the company and jobs will be in Nashville. He will fly to/from his home regularly, but his family will be based in Florida. He says it's because he wants his children to grow up where they're not a tiny religious minority and where his parents (who will relocate from LA too) will be near friends and other family. 

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, titanhog said:

I'm actually a person who appreciates different political views (I believe it's designed to keep all sides honest)...and I also believe in compromise. 

I think most people tend to be the same.

Believers in fact-based,  good faith compromise. :)

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, PaulChinetti said:

I think most people tend to be the same.

Believers in fact-based,  good faith compromise. :)

Amen.  There's a big enough pie for everyone to get a piece if we'll all come together. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, japan said:

Does this happen if Cooper doesn't push through the ridiculously high 35%?  Come on.  15% to 20% to start with sounds way more palatable.  How many missteps can a first term mayor make?  Safe to say he won't be getting a second term.

That's certain a valid argument, but even still, you only compound the issue by responding to a mistake with another even more short-sighted mistake.  

The 2 year growth rates are phenomenal... idk if that’s the he case everywhere but I think conclusively Nashville is a boomtown.