Jump to content

Nashville Bits and Pieces


smeagolsfree

Recommended Posts


Not important, but the media/PR for the event is being handled by a local group GS&F. Good to see local companies being involved.

Personally I just don't see this course happening as designed. I think having the bridge included in the track is iconic, but think it puts a major strain on the city. Long Beach and Tornto each have street circuits, but looking at some aerials of those circuits they take up a lot less traveled corridors (it appears). Logistically it will be a nightmare setting up and breaking down the course (safe barriers, catch fencing, welding manhole/storm sewer covers). Looks like the portion of the track across the river will be totally circling an approved development project (94 Peabody- RMH House) that has potential to be under construction (which I bet they would not shut down construction for the race), and directly adjacent to the Swerdling Hotel (any idea if this would break ground prior to the race date? Also it looks like this track cuts off all access to the Exxon Station and the LaQuinta and Comfort Inn. 

One last note, it is very interesting that a press conference announcing the race on city streets does not have any reported city official(s) in attendance?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Bos2Nash said:

Not important, but the media/PR for the event is being handled by a local group GS&F. Good to see local companies being involved.

Personally I just don't see this course happening as designed. I think having the bridge included in the track is iconic, but think it puts a major strain on the city. Long Beach and Tornto each have street circuits, but looking at some aerials of those circuits they take up a lot less traveled corridors (it appears). Logistically it will be a nightmare setting up and breaking down the course (safe barriers, catch fencing, welding manhole/storm sewer covers). Looks like the portion of the track across the river will be totally circling an approved development project (94 Peabody- RMH House) that has potential to be under construction (which I bet they would not shut down construction for the race), and directly adjacent to the Swerdling Hotel (any idea if this would break ground prior to the race date? Also it looks like this track cuts off all access to the Exxon Station and the LaQuinta and Comfort Inn. 

One last note, it is very interesting that a press conference announcing the race on city streets does not have any reported city official(s) in attendance?

I watched the press conference, and Mayor Cooper / Butch Spyridon from the CVB were both there.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/15/2020 at 9:12 PM, PaulChinetti said:

Woof, gross. I thought all the liberal cities where hell holes though!? Haha

If you look outside Davidson County and take the urbanized population of Nashville proper (not including that massive 13-county MSA, only the densely-populated Nashville-Franklin-Murfreesboro-Hendersonville corridor), I would argue Nashville is pretty conservative compared to most urbanized areas in the U.S.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, Tennessine said:

If you look outside Davidson County and take the urbanized population of Nashville proper (not including that massive 13-country MSA, only the densely-populated Nashville-Franklin-Murfreesboro-Hendersonville corridor), I would argue Nashville is pretty conservative compared to most urbanized areas in the U.S.

Yeah but they said Nashville, but I guess they could mean Franklin/Brentwood. Moving from LA to Brentwood doesn’t seem likely though. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, PaulChinetti said:

Yeah but they said Nashville, but I guess they could mean Franklin/Brentwood. Moving from LA to Brentwood doesn’t seem likely though. 

If someone moves from LA, there's nearly as good a chance they'll live in Brentwood as they'll live in Nashville...or maybe they'll live in Franklin...Leiper's Fork, etc.  When people move to Nashville, it's the metro many of them are moving to.  Not all 5000+ Amazon workers are going to want to live in Davidson County.   That's the beauty of Nashville.  We have close-by alternatives that can give you land...great schools...etc.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/15/2020 at 10:48 AM, BnaBreaker said:

I understand the urge to keep taxes low, but you've got to allow for flexibility depending on the situation for gods sake.  What is even the point of preventing your future self from raising taxes beyond a certain point?  You're just shooting yourself in the foot.  Do people not understand that taxes serve a vital purpose?  

Does this happen if Cooper doesn't push through the ridiculously high 35%?  Come on.  15% to 20% to start with sounds way more palatable.  How many missteps can a first term mayor make?  Safe to say he won't be getting a second term.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Bos2Nash said:

Personally I just don't see this course happening as designed.  Logistically it will be a nightmare setting up and breaking down the course (safe barriers, catch fencing, welding manhole/storm sewer covers).

Groups like IndyCar have a lot of experience converting streets into road courses and vice versa, so I would expect it to be a pretty smooth transition. They've been doing this for a long, long time.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, titanhog said:

If someone moves from LA, there's nearly as good a chance they'll live in Brentwood as they'll live in Nashville...or maybe they'll live in Franklin...Leiper's Fork, etc.  When people move to Nashville, it's the metro many of them are moving to.  Not all 5000+ Amazon workers are going to want to live in Davidson County.   That's the beauty of Nashville.  We have close-by alternatives that can give you land...great schools...etc.

^ That's what I was getting at

Shapiro is not a pundit I listen to, but I admire him for passing over someplace in Texas for Nashville, citing the talent available. He's not a freak show like Alex Jones, so this is not something I mind having in my neck of the woods. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, titanhog said:

If someone moves from LA, there's nearly as good a chance they'll live in Brentwood as they'll live in Nashville...or maybe they'll live in Franklin...Leiper's Fork, etc.  When people move to Nashville, it's the metro many of them are moving to.  Not all 5000+ Amazon workers are going to want to live in Davidson County.   That's the beauty of Nashville.  We have close-by alternatives that can give you land...great schools...etc.

Plenty of places to live for sure. But the article was talking about moving his company. I doubt the company is going to move to Leiper's Fork, I could be wrong though.

@Tennessine This is all I can think of when I think of Ben Shapiro, and now how he didn't understand the song WAP...
 

NSFW language at the end. 

Edit, I forgot how much this video makes me laugh. Needed that this morning.

Edited by PaulChinetti
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, PaulChinetti said:

Plenty of places to live for sure. But the article was talking about moving his company. I doubt the company is going to move to Leiper's Fork, I could be wrong though.

 

I would imagine he wants to be in Nashville...then again...I could see him basing it in Williamson County.  Either way...thankfully, Nashville is a diverse metro...and when people talk of moving to Nashville, they're not always talking about the city-proper.  I'm actually a person who appreciates different political views (I believe it's designed to keep all sides honest)...and I also believe in compromise.  This is why Nashville (city) being majority liberal but the metro being overwhelmingly conservative is not a bad thing (IMO).  Only when one side or the other demands it be "my way or the highway" do we start having problems.

Edited by titanhog
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

He is an orthodox Jew and has mentioned that he chose to live near his synagogue in LA (I think he has a young daughter at Hebrew school there). Of course, the traffic there is a much greater factor about proximity, but I also heard his wife does not like to drive. Don't know exactly how that factors into their choice b/n WillCo/Nashville. Does Brentwood and/or Franklin have a synagogue?  I also don't see him as a wide open field, exurban sort of person. More like a Green Hills/Belmont/West End sort of guy. 

UPDATE: I heard his program on my drive home today. Shapiro clarified that his family will be living in Florida, while the company and jobs will be in Nashville. He will fly to/from his home regularly, but his family will be based in Florida. He says it's because he wants his children to grow up where they're not a tiny religious minority and where his parents (who will relocate from LA too) will be near friends and other family. 

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, japan said:

Does this happen if Cooper doesn't push through the ridiculously high 35%?  Come on.  15% to 20% to start with sounds way more palatable.  How many missteps can a first term mayor make?  Safe to say he won't be getting a second term.

That's certain a valid argument, but even still, you only compound the issue by responding to a mistake with another even more short-sighted mistake.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Bos2Nash locked and unlocked this topic
  • Bos2Nash locked and unlocked this topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.