Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

For those that have been downtown taking pictures or working:  Is everyone wearing a mask outside?  It has been over 8 months since I have been downtown and thought about finding a parking spot and walking around, taking pics and having lunch somewhere.  I know people are being asked to wear masks around Broadway but was curious about how it is on KVB and the business core.  Thanks!

I was downtown Saturday from Union St to Koreans Vets and I'll say at best 60% wearing masks. I think most of the non mask wearers are tourists. We are downtown most Saturdays having brunch at the Dream and then walking around (but avoiding more than just crossing Broadway) and the crowds are growing and mask wearing slipping. The staffs are good (in general) about wearing masks and taking folks to task for not wearing them.

In 12 South, the numbers are up a lot, with a lot of tourists who just don't like masks. I think the locals are generally good about it and the restaurant staffs very good. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, TheRaglander said:

For those that have been downtown taking pictures or working:  Is everyone wearing a mask outside?  It has been over 8 months since I have been downtown and thought about finding a parking spot and walking around, taking pics and having lunch somewhere.  I know people are being asked to wear masks around Broadway but was curious about how it is on KVB and the business core.  Thanks!

The last time I went downtown during the week a month or so ago there were not enough people to make a determination.

• Like 1

You are pretty much OK if you go during the day and not on the weekend and stay away from lower Broad. When I walk as of late, I stay away from the lower Broad area as a matter of health for me because there are a number of folks that are not wearing mask. Besides the noise coming from the honky tonks irritate me to no end not to mention the music. Just never has been my thing.

The Gulch area is sparsely occupied during the day with about 60 % wearing mask. From what it looks like as far as hot spots, you need to be careful of the co struction sites more.

• Like 4

On 9/17/2020 at 9:10 AM, Jamie Hall said:

Groups like IndyCar have a lot of experience converting streets into road courses and vice versa, so I would expect it to be a pretty smooth transition. They've been doing this for a long, long time.

I have no doubt about IndyCar's - specifically Roger Penske - capabilities for a street race. It's the local promoter I doubt. Unless Penske has changed the structure of IndyCar rather dramatically, these city street races falls on the shoulders of the promoter more than IndyCar. Hell, IndyCar was awarded $4 million by the Boston Grand Prix promoter for when they failed to deliver! I doubt very much a 3-day closure of KVB, I would think more like 3-weeks.

Excuse my cynicism, but after getting my hopes up for the Boston Grand Prix and watching that crash and burn, I have a certain amount of reservation until it actually happens. 

• Like 1

https://www.nashville.gov/Trustee/Calculate-Taxes.aspx

Based on this, the current tax rate is 4.221 (urban services) and 3.788 (general services) and it’s going to increase by 34% is that correct so, 1.435 and 1.289 respectively?

I was just reading a Tennessean article about it and of course they only mentioned the % increase no other numbers .

So what’s that an increase of per 100k of value , I vaguely remember reading on here that it’s about a 600 dollar increase in a 300k house, I think, but I can’t find the article posted, anyone know?

Math, is not my strong suit so I wanted to check.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, PaulChinetti said:

https://www.nashville.gov/Trustee/Calculate-Taxes.aspx

Based on this, the current tax rate is 4.221 (urban services) and 3.788 (general services) and it’s going to increase by 34% is that correct so, 1.435 and 1.289 respectively?

I was just reading a Tennessean article about it and of course they only mentioned the % increase no other numbers .

So what’s that an increase of per 100k of value , I vaguely remember reading on here that it’s about a 600 dollar increase in a 300k house, I think, but I can’t find the article posted, anyone know?

Math, is not my strong suit so I wanted to check.

The 4.221 and 3.788 are the new, higher rates. 

20 hours ago, PaulChinetti said:

I'm all for the people getting their voice but if all it takes is 12,000 people to get something on the ballot, that seems nuts to me. If Davidson County has 600k residents, that's .02 percent of the population. Seems like a number left over from when Nashville was a sleepy little southern town ages ago.

Ballot access requirements for petitions are based upon voter history.  I think the criterion is that in order for a petition to gain access to the ballot or for a referendum to be called, a percentage of the number of votes cast in the last gubernatorial and/or general election are required as confirmed registered voters' signatures. 

Looks like the percentage criterion is this for Davidson County:

WHEREAS, whether or not such a petition to amend the Charter requires ten percent (10%) of those voting in the preceding general election or fifteen percent (15%) of the total number of registered voters in the County has a marked impact on the feasibility of obtaining the necessary signatures; 

Edited by tragenvol
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Nathan_in_the_UK said:

I've been gone a few weeks and not able to keep up with what's happening...but I was under the impression that most of the dumb transpotainment got shut down. Is that no longer the case?

Same... I don't mind some of it, but when you're essentially hauling a rolling barn behind a tractor then we're starting to get way too much into Branson territory for my taste.  Nashville is a real city with an authentic entertainment experience.  It doesn't need this type of tacky cliche nonsense.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, BnaBreaker said:

Same... I don't mind some of it, but when you're essentially hauling a rolling barn behind a tractor then we're starting to get way too much into Branson territory for my taste.  Nashville is a real city with an authentic entertainment experience.  It doesn't need this type of tacky cliche nonsense.

Yep...Country Music is so far away from the Hee Haw days of the 70's that we really shouldn't allow the hayseed stuff.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, BnaBreaker said:

I don’t even know how that is deemed safe. Liability should be to the moon.

• Like 1