Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

40 minutes ago, PaulChinetti said:

I’ve been on a number of them. They are fun as hell. Don’t knock it until you try it. :good:

Oh I'm sure they're fun...  trust me, I'm definitely not opposed to a wild good time.  Get me boozed up enough and I can have fun inside of a dumpster lol... I'm just not into the tacky cartoonish aesthetic they lend to the city.

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Buildtall said:

I’ll admit I’m not much on all the honky tonks but I do love the neon signs. I’ve always thought that the old signs should be displayed somewhere in town when removed. The old signs are art and should be kept running and on display for all to see. I’ve seen this done in Las Vegas and have always thought Nashville should do the same. 

That's a great idea. I can see that being successful over at Opryland.

Hah! Been in Cincy for 5 years now and never been to that place!

Notice that most of the signs are neon.....I remember when neon started going out of fashion only to be replaced with cheaper molded plastic signs. It seemed like something was coming to an end as train travel was dying pretty much at the same time.

• Like 1

As I've said on the monthly Zoom meeting in response to the question about where does all the excavated fill material from the new buildings go, that a lot of it is being dumped in ravines and hollows in the Highland Rim hills west of town. If you drive Highway 70 westward from the Charlotte Pike/Nashville West neighborhood, going up the large hill about a mile away, you will see a very large ravine that is being filled up with tons and tons of material.

The Town of Kingston Springs made a contractor remove a significant amount of 'dirty' fill from the Fairgrounds excavation that was used to level out a significantly large gulch for future apartments. And always I see dump trucks traveling into the hills behind the town of Pegram with load going to who knows where.

Now a group wants to drain a large quarry off McCrory Road between I-40 and Hwy 70. It is in Davidson County and has caused some concern about the environmental effects on the surrounding area. Council Person Dave Rosenberg has made a statement on FB...

As many of you are aware, this week the Tennessee Department of Environment and Conservation (TDEC), a division of the state's executive branch, issued a permit allowing the owner of the quarry on McCrory Lane to drain all the water from the quarry into the Harpeth River and fill the quarry with fill from construction sites.
Under the Jackson Law, to open a new landfill, the applicant will have to submit a proposal to Metro, after which there must be public notice and a public hearing. Within thirty days of that public hearing, the Metro Council will have to vote to approve or disapprove the proposal.
I, like many of you I've heard from, believe there are very real concerns that match several of these criteria and, based on what we've heard from the property owner in the past, the proposal should be denied.

An aerial photo of the site;

1958446013_aaQuarryfill.thumb.jpg.faede2bb1f2e5c7810b6b0181f64d697.jpg

It's amazing what they are doing with all that dirt and rock.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, markhollin said:

A couple of new job-generating moves:

1) Vancouver-based ElectraMeccanica (electric cars) is scouting the U.S. for their first plant here, and the Nashville area is one of the finalists. Could mean 200-500 jobs.  Other locale being considered is Phoenix.  More at The Nashville Post here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/economic-development/article/21143855/middle-tennessee-finalist-for-electric-vehicle-factory

Who would be the target market for these 3 wheel cars?  I can't imagine driving one on the interstate...but I'm sure you could.  Are these targeted towards inner-city dwellers with small parking spaces and short trips around town?

8 minutes ago, titanhog said:

Who would be the target market for these 3 wheel cars?  I can't imagine driving one on the interstate...but I'm sure you could.  Are these targeted towards inner-city dwellers with small parking spaces and short trips around town?

I would assume for people that do everything in the city. Gym, Stores, Restaurants, Bars, etc. (all pre-covid mind you) 

Or maybe for people who don't like to user ride share?

The only time I drive on the interstate is when I leave Nashville proper.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 10/9/2020 at 8:07 AM, markhollin said:

A couple of new job-generating moves:

1) Vancouver-based ElectraMeccanica (electric cars) is scouting the U.S. for their first plant here, and the Nashville area is one of the finalists. Could mean 200-500 jobs.  Other locale being considered is Phoenix.  More at The Nashville Post here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/economic-development/article/21143855/middle-tennessee-finalist-for-electric-vehicle-factory

2) Fintech, a British tech company specializing in retirement plans, will open its U.S. headquarters in Nashville, with plans to hire 50 people in 2021.  No word on location yet.More at NBJ here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2020/10/08/uk-fintech-smart-picks-nashville-for-us-hq.html?iana=hpmvp_nsh_news_headline

I bought some stock in $SOLO last year and made me a good profit when it reached $5 some months ago. So surreal if they manage to get a spot in Nashville for their first plant.

Edited by OnePointEast
  • Like 1

This is not  exactly a new announcement per the Murfreesboro Post and the Nashville Post 8/12/20. The NBJ is just getting around to posting it. It is 3 months old. Each one of these fulfillment centers have about a 1000 workers.

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/retail/article/21142812/amazon-adding-hundreds-more-distribution-jobs

https://www.murfreesboropost.com/news/amazon-to-open-la-vergne-logistics-center-in-2020/article_7e3ed2e2-dcb0-11ea-b12e-a7c3a9357e48.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=email&utm_campaign=user-share

1 hour ago, MLBrumby said:

I realize many here don't like adding lanes to the Interstates around town, but with all these AMZN distribution centers, the state needs to expand I-24 to the state line to at least 3... but really 4 lanes because there are few alternate routes, especially at Monteagle. The TFP yesterday had an article about the widening FINALLY from the state line to downtown (8 miles with 3 and 4 lanes in each direction, along with a new exit at Broadway where the US Foundry used to be. 

I think it's admirable that the state doesn't go into debt to build roads, but geez louise there are gigantic needs out there.  TDOT has not been kind to Chattanooga, that's for sure.  And for Tennessee's "main street" I-40 is woefully inadequate in many places, and not just through Nashville.  The section between Rockwood and the I-75 merger is one of the most aggravating sections of interstate in the country with all its hills, twists, and curves.  Heaven help you if you get stuck behind a truck in the left lane, and forget about trying to use your cruise control at all.  There are at least a dozen places along I-40 between Nashville and Knoxville that desperately need truck lanes, most notably the section between Buffalo Valley and Silver Point in the very western edge of Putnam County and, especially, the section between Cookeville and Monterey where truckers laugh at the signs telling them to stay in the right lane as they scoot over into the left lane doing about 0.0001 mph faster than the trucks they're passing in the right lane.

• Like 3