Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

I agree that DQ has great burgers, but I dislike their buns which taste too sweet for me.  I don't understand why people love Red Robin unless it's for the bottomless root beer floats and endless steak fries (even though they bring only about 4 fries on subsequent orders).  Back Yard Burgers has the best fast food chain burger for me.  Flame grilled, nicely seasoned, thick, and not too greasy.  They don't skimp on the toppings, either.  I also agree that Five Guys has the best fried burgers, and being part Belgian I'm all about theirs fries which are the best and are fried Belgian style (twice).  I just wish they had all the fry sauces like they do in Belgium/Northern France.  But I could seriously eat at BYB every day and never get tired of it.  Their chicken sandwiches are also delicious, especially the blackened chicken.  Gosh here it is 8am and now all I can think about is what to eat for lunch.  I might have to drive all the way to Donelson for BYB and get a blackened chicken sandwich and blackjack burger.  One of the things I miss about living in Memphis is BYB; they're everywhere down there.  People in Memphis definitely appreciate good burgers (and BBQ).  If this picture of a BYB blackened chicken sandwich doesn't make you hungry, then I don't know what to say.

image.jpeg.48d7d268a24d1039b6d76a2ede0242fd.jpeg

• Like 3

13 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

Agree with you on InNO... because of their freshness, and their cut fries.  I'd go there for the fries and fell for the burgers.

Not so sure KK was born in NC... I think it was 'born' in New Orleans and was 'borrowed' by a Kentuckian who bought machinery that made doughnuts similar to beignets (deep fried yeast) and was eventually moved (actually with a brief stop in Nashville) to W-S.  Personally, I can't stand the smell of KKs, but that may have more to do with the fact that my fraternity in college did a fundraiser selling them and I had 70 boxes in the trunk of my car. Couldn't get rid of that smell for the duration of time I owned that car. I've always preferred cake doughnuts but that's because they 'dunk' better. Personal preference. 

BTW: I used to wonder how Hardees stayed in business until I moved to Chattanooga and my route to work every morning went past a Hardees. Their biscuits apparently are the main draw there (I've never had one). And the cars are lined up all the way out to the street.  I think Carl's Jr. out of California bought them several years ago. They're both comparable... home of the 'gristleburger'. 

Correct on  the New Orleans connection but the first doughnut made by Krispy Kreme was in Winston Salem NC and now most of the corporate staff is Charlotte.  Their first store in Winston was in what is now called Old Salem there is a plaque there.  Krispy Kreme started their classis hot doughnuts right there in NC. 

https://krispykreme.ca/about-us/history/#:~:text=Krispy Kreme opened its doors on July 13%2C,on July 13%2C 1937 to local grocery stores.

• Like 2

BYB use to have a spot in the UC at Tech.

6 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Correct on  the New Orleans connection but the first doughnut made by Krispy Kreme was in Winston Salem NC and now most of the corporate staff is Charlotte.  Their first store in Winston was in what is now called Old Salem there is a plaque there.  Krispy Kreme started their classis hot doughnuts right there in NC. 

https://krispykreme.ca/about-us/history/#:~:text=Krispy Kreme opened its doors on July 13%2C,on July 13%2C 1937 to local grocery stores.

KK lasted for only a short while when it was in Cookeville (its remains are now a Popeyes); it was across the street from Dunkin.  Dunkin's coffee varieties killed that KK.  It may be heresy on this board, but I prefer Dunkin's donuts to KK's doughnuts....and KK's coffee is atrocious.

Edited by tragenvol
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

Even though they're not my favorite by far, I think it's a shame that KK in our area basically shrunk itself to one location. From that location they truck their product to their various stores. Someone recently said (I didn't verify) that they even reduced their outlets to WalMart, but I seem to recall seeing some boxes on display at Publix a few months ago. I know professionally one of the people who was behind that IPO. He's an investment banker in Nashville and member of the Ingram family by marriage. He was involved in Krystal too but pretty sure they've sold out a long time ago. I guess local donut places like Darling's and Tasty here really hurt KK. Can't beat Darling's maple bacon donuts. 

I think BYB closed all their locations here. I thought they were good. 

18 minutes ago, tragenvol said:

KK lasted for only a short while when it was in Cookeville (its remains are now a Popeyes); it was across the street from Dunkin.  Dunkin's coffee varieties killed that KK.  It may be heresy on this board, but I prefer Dunkin's donuts to KK's doughnuts....and KK's coffee is atrocious.

I think people generally prefer to buy them hot. I know it used to be a thing when I was a kid to see the "Hot" sign on the KK location near our house. Not crazy about Dunkin either, but do prefer cake donuts to the yeast variety. Do not like Tasty, but they're quite popular as a competitor to KKs. 

Edited by MLBrumby

50 minutes ago, tragenvol said:

Another huge advantage DD has over KK is DD has more than just doughnuts.  I don't like DD doughnuts, either, especially since Cookeville has much better doughnuts at Ralph's and Big O, but I'll swing through DD for their breakfast sandwiches, muffins, bagels, and wraps.  And, really, KK's one claim to fame are its hot doughnuts (which are amazing) otherwise there's nothing special about them.  And as for their Cookeville store, that whole operation was just suspicious.  They didn't do one ounce of advertising, didn't have a billboard on I-40, etc.  They opened a similar location in Owensboro KY the same day as the Cookeville one, ignored it just like they ignored the Cookeville one, and it closed the same day as the Cookeville store less than a year after opening.  KK has closed a bunch of its locations (like all 7 that used to be in Hong Kong) so I think a lot of people are catching on that they're just not that special once that HOT sign is turned off.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jmtunafish said:

Another huge advantage DD has over KK is DD has more than just doughnuts.  I don't like DD doughnuts, either, especially since Cookeville has much better doughnuts at Ralph's and Big O, but I'll swing through DD for their breakfast sandwiches, muffins, bagels, and wraps.  And, really, KK's one claim to fame are its hot doughnuts (which are amazing) otherwise there's nothing special about them.  And as for their Cookeville store, that whole operation was just suspicious.  They didn't do one ounce of advertising, didn't have a billboard on I-40, etc.  They opened a similar location in Owensboro KY the same day as the Cookeville one, ignored it just like they ignored the Cookeville one, and it closed the same day as the Cookeville store less than a year after opening.  KK has closed a bunch of its locations (like all 7 that used to be in Hong Kong) so I think a lot of people are catching on that they're just not that special once that HOT sign is turned off.

I lived across the street from Big O for a while when I was at TTU. My roommate and I would get the buttermilk bars late in the evening. They were the best!

Are they still on North Washington?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, bnacincy said:

I lived across the street from Big O for a while when I was at TTU. My roommate and I would get the buttermilk bars late in the evening. They were the best!

Are they still on North Washington?

Big O's is still in town, but recently had to move across from Saxony Apartments on Spring St.....their lessor didn't renew their lease earlier this year.  I know it isn't the place for this debate, but I have to throw this bit in...I'm in the Big O corner when it comes to Cookeville Donut preference while I do believe that @jmtunafish prefers Ralph's to Big O's.  Buttermilk cake donuts from Big O's are the best.

Back to the message topic....as BYB is headquartered in Nashville...the company went through bankruptcy, contracted and may be on the verge of adding locations?  Wasn't there a BYB on Thompson Ln or Harding Place...or both until the contraction or even recently, but no longer?  Are there now only two stores in the area?

Edited by tragenvol

2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Well the Hallmark Channel Christmas movie "A Nashville Christmas Carol" was filmed in Charlotte!  in September and will be shown next Saturday night at 8 pm EST 7 pm CST.  Main house is in Cotswold neighborhood of south Charlotte , another older house in Huntersville northern suburb  and  scenes uptown at the Nascar Hall of Fame evidently.

Major country music stars in it yet since it is set in Nashville no glory for the Queen City except in the credits.

http://thelocationist.com/current-project/2020/8/14

watch a movie about your city filmed in mine!  

https://www.hallmarkchannel.com/a-nashville-christmas-carol/videos/on-location-a-nashville-christmas-carol

"Charlotte...the new Nashville"... :tw_lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Major country music stars in it yet since it is set in Nashville no glory for the Queen City except in the credits.

Watch a movie about your city filmed in mine!  

Mayor Cooper probably didn't want it shot here because it would look 'too Hollywood,' or worse yet, 'too Nashville.'   ; )

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/9/2020 at 2:08 PM, Rockatansky said:

What does Maryland have to do with this?

I like a good burger but have never had Whataburger. Can anyone explain what makes them special? I'm a Hugh Baby's fan FWIW.

Most of the articles I've been recently claim this fleeing is significantly overstated.

https://nypost.com/2020/11/14/new-stats-reveal-massive-nyc-exodus-amid-coronavirus-crime/

• Like 1

15 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Well the Hallmark Channel Christmas movie "A Nashville Christmas Carol" was filmed in Charlotte!  in September and will be shown next Saturday night at 8 pm EST 7 pm CST.  Main house is in Cotswold neighborhood of south Charlotte , another older house in Huntersville northern suburb  and  scenes uptown at the Nascar Hall of Fame evidently.

https://www.hallmarkchannel.com/a-nashville-christmas-carol/videos/on-location-a-nashville-christmas-carol

The North Carolina Film & TV Commission (or whatever it's called) funds the HGTV 'Love It Or List It' show filmed in Raleigh-Durham. The city is never mentioned as far as I have heard in the show. Major fail!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, PHofKS said:

The North Carolina Film & TV Commission (or whatever it's called) funds the HGTV 'Love It Or List It' show filmed in Raleigh-Durham. The city is never mentioned as far as I have heard in the show. Major fail!

Iron Man 3 was filmed in Raleigh/Cary and Wilmington however the town in the movie was called 'Rose Hill, Tennessee' and the Raleigh scenes were for the 'Switzerland' scene.  They couldn't even come up with a fake NC town. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, KJHburg said:

When this is on next weekend at my house, my wife likely won't be impressed by this knowledge....BUT I will drop it anyway!

I bet any fake snow in the movie will be from Lexington, AL.

https://www.globalspecialeffects.com/

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, PHofKS said:

The NCF&TVC is extremely generous with the subsidies. I think they used to be the MOST generous until Louisiana and Georgia got in the game.  Lots of shows are filmed in NC with no recognition but the insignia at the end of the credits. Oddly enough, the silliest of silly shows Outer Banks is NOT produced in NC, but rather in SC. I forget why, but I think it boiled down to some political reason. Anyway, heels should be glad that's not made in their state. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

The NCF&TVC is extremely generous with the subsidies. I think they used to be the MOST generous until Louisiana and Georgia got in the game.  Lots of shows are filmed in NC with no recognition but the insignia at the end of the credits. Oddly enough, the silliest of silly shows Outer Banks is NOT produced in NC, but rather in SC. I forget why, but I think it boiled down to some political reason. Anyway, heels should be glad that's not made in their state. 

Hey...don't go knocking Outer Banks :tw_glasses:

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

Yes OBX is not filmed in NC but in Charleston SC ( I have a friend who is in the show) and that was due to some objection to NC.  NC film incentives are no where near as high as Georgia or Louisiana.  (anyone who has been to the Outer Banks of NC can tell the tv show looks nothing like it) 

But watch this Hallmark Movie that is set in Nashville filmed in Charlotte.  Now Charlotte has stood in for Nashville and New York City in a Hallmark movie.  Oh the grand old opry that according to the trailer I watched is Charlotte's Blumenthal Performing Arts Center.  Enjoy!  8 pm ET and 7 pm CT this Saturday. 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Thanks 1

Me too, but I told my wife (a devoted Hallmark fan) about some show that was supposed to be in Nashville but was in North Carolina. She said, "I saw a preview for one in Nashville." I said it's North Carolina. She said "I'm don't care. I'll record it anyway." LOL... I guess Hallmark knows their audience. 

• Haha 3