Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

• 3 weeks later...

There won't be a public concert, Music Note Drop, or spectators due toCovd-19 this year.  Instead, Nashville will host a televised "Jack Daniel’s Music City Midnight: New Year’s Eve in Nashville" show featuring Nashville-based indie rock band Moon Taxi and trio The Shindellas, the Nashville Convention & Visitors Corp announced Wednesday.

The TV show is scheduled for 10:30 p.m. to midnight Central Time on WTVF-NewsChannel 5. Moon Taxi will pay for 40 minutes just before midnight. The Shindellas, who play jazz, soul and R&B, will perform a 20-minute set earlier in the show. The show also will include highlights from previous years. CNN will feature the countdown live from Nashville as the central time zone rings in the New Year.

More at NBJ here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2020/12/10/new-years-eve-celebration-concert-nashville-covid.html?cx_testId=40&cx_testVariant=cx_34&cx_artPos=2#cxrecs_s

• Like 4

11 hours ago, ruraljuror said:

I wouldn't be especially pumped if Chapo Trap House decided to relocate it's broadcast to Nashville, and I certainly wouldn't expect their presence here to have a de-politicizing effect on our city.

Fair points. However, I was saying SINCE The Daily Wire has already moved here,  Nashville has the opportunity to be the prototype city where politics STILL is not everything, even though this right wing political operation has relocated to a blue city. 

I don't want Nashville to be a liberal city that is unpleasant to conservatives, nor do I want it to be a conservative city unpleasant to liberals. I want Nashville to be a city where its citizens care more about the important things in life, like URBAN PLANET, Titans, Predators, Nashville SC, peddle taverns, murals, and hot chicken. 

Edited by nashvylle
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, nashvylle said:

I want Nashville to be a city where its citizens care more about the important things in life, like the Titans, Predators, Nashville SC, peddle taverns, murals, and hot chicken. 

...and our growing skyline!

With that, let's get back on track about discussing Nashville development.  Thanks.   : )

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Stumbled across this YT video of several street scenes in Nashville in the 1970s. Lots of silly stuff, but then some cool shots of things I recognize and many I don't.  A hot dog stand across from Vandy.  The YMCA (I guess downtown). The comments helped, but I think the Vandy Medical Arts building is at the corner across from Peabody. The kids in this video seem to fix on certain establishments.  Was Odyssey III some sort of head shop? What was Club StealAway?  Some shots of a couple of buildings under construction downtown. Shows what appears to be a "Love In"... ahhh, the 1970s!  Ends with a ride around Vandy.  Runs about 8 minutes. Wonder how many locations our longtime Nashvillians can identify...  

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 2

Speaking of old videos, I was wondering if anyone ever saw this movie that was filmed here staring Martin Milner & Kent McCord of Adam 12 fame.

Nashville Beat

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0100228/reviews

It was also the introduction of Garth Brooks. 

I know parts were filmed at Exit/In and there were trying to pass that off as Lower Broadway in the movie.

3 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

Yep, the most startling number was for every one person to leave TX, 123 moved there. TX is the new CA. TN and NC may be the new TX.

I do not count Florida because things are about to get bad there as far as the climate goes...Worse than they are now. People that move there will soon realize they have made a mistake. I am biased as I hate that state. Got family  members there I don't like not to mention I Hate The Beach!

• Haha 1

Nashville should play up its similiarities to Austin, and there are many.  I think the rash of recent announcements of companies moving there is validation of that approach.  They really are very much alike in so many ways.  It's really never been much like Atlanta. I saw that almost immediately when I came to Vandy as a freshman. 

• Like 4

A new study from the Department of Information Systems & Analytics at Middle Tennessee State University, produced in partnership with the Greater Nashville Technology Council, shows that Middle Tennessee's technology job base has expanded by 36% to 62,876 jobs since 2014.

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/technology/article/21145077/local-tech-sector-seen-maintaining-strong-job-growth

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, PaulChinetti said:

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/politics/2020/12/17/titans-nashville-nissan-stadium-upgrades/3915118001/

We all knew it was happening. Will be interesting to see how it all plays out especially since the state will have to be involved.  

This is all being discussed on the Sports/Athletic Facilities thread.  : )

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1