Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

Somewhat off the wall, but I've heard several people from different corporations over the past few weeks mention that their companies (or chief people in them) are buying up rural land within an hour or so drive of Nashville as retreats. Maybe more than a coincidence. Several of the people I've talked with are from very large NYC and Chicago companies, as well as companies like Coca Cola in Atlanta (which has long owned thousands of acres in Tennessee). But the I haven't actually been asking, and still I've heard from disparate sources that lots of high powered b/millionaires are buying up large (1000+/- acre) tracts.  I've heard of two large buys in Hickman County.  I wonder if our reporters and sleuths would be interested to look in the counties around the Tennessee River west of Nashville and Lincoln, Maury, Laurence, Giles... all the way up to the east at Dekalb and Smith Counties.  Is this anything worth verifying?  We do know that lots of Wall Street firms are looking at southern cities, and Nashville is among them. I've also heard that shotguns and Ruger bolt action guns are at the top of the holiday wish lists in NYC this year. Interesting! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Its really hard to research all of the outlying counties ROD's as there is normally a fee associated with the service. So it would be very difficult to do, not to mention run down who already owns something. 

A person local to that county is in a better position to do that.

When I research the RODs in Davidson, I can 9 times out of 10 look at the address and tell you if it is commercial or residential and what part of town its in without even looking at the map.

2 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

I'd bet almost nobody noticed but the 2019 population estimates place Nashville at 23rd largest city ahead of the woeful Detroit. I expect we'll be surprised just how undercounted the estimates have been when the official count 2020 comes out soon. 

If the 2020 count is even accurate given the current administration & issues with regards to the Census.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

I'd bet almost nobody noticed but the 2019 population estimates place Nashville at 23rd largest city ahead of the woeful Detroit. I expect we'll be surprised just how undercounted the estimates have been when the official count 2020 comes out soon. 

In defense of "woeful detroit,"  it is currently in the process of building out a light rail system and a skyscraper taller than anything proposed or built in the entire state of Tennessee too, so... ya know... let's not get too full of ourselves.  ;)

• Like 4

2 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

In defense of "woeful detroit,"  it is currently in the process of building out a light rail system and a skyscraper taller than anything proposed or built in the entire state of Tennessee too, so... ya know... let's not get too full of ourselves.  ;)

It will need more than that to reverse its downward spiral. The problem with Detroit is that it never addressed the real problems it faces. 

• Like 2

Thanks Mark!

I was going to do a list with renderings, but just thought I needed to wait. I did my last big list in Sept of last year. Its just a tremendous amount of work to go through everything and update.

I am also waiting on the new year for some of these projects to get started too and also we may get a few announcements after the first of the year, you never know.

I am also working on something for The Post that will be along the same vain. That will not be done until after the first of the year if it is done.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Not a lot of news so far on the cause, but there was some sort of explosion at 2nd and Commerce this morning. It shook our building and woke us up. 

Here’s a picture that shows the window damage/damage to the AT&T switching building: 

Hearing a building on second has collapsed. 

Heres a video from the scene, may be disturbing as there is screaming in the background: 

Edited by downtownresident
Additional info
  • Sad 7

44 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

Phil William is reporting on his twitter it was a vehicle. William and I were just talking this could have been terrorist related. Hope not but if this is the case then the belt buckle of the bible belt on Christmas day is a perfect spot.

Could also be a p.o. worker of AT & T.

At 6:30 AM on an empty street outside an empty restaurant?  Let's not get carried away here my friend.  Not trying to downplay this in the least as any explosion is obviously a dangerous situation, but I'm just saying... I doubt that empty fondue restaurants in Nashville are on the terrorist target list.  ;)

Edited by BnaBreaker